Mapping app powered by Google Maps pulled from App Store

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
A third-party mapping app called ClassicMap, which looked remarkably similar to Apple's defunct Google Maps-powered Maps app, was pulled from the iOS App Store on Thursday after only two days of availability.

ClassicMap
ClassicMap was pulled two days after hitting the iOS App Store. | Source: Pocketnow

The takedown of what was basically an unofficial Google Maps replacement, first discovered by Pocketnow (via CNET), comes amid a flurry of complaints and controversy surrounding Apple's new proprietary mapping solution released with iOS 6.

ClassicMaps, from developer Katsumi Kishikawa, aimed to bring back some of the features missing from the new iOS Maps, the most notable being data from Google's mapping service. While the app did offer a visual presentation strikingly similar to the original Apple Maps, reviewers found the software to be woefully inadequate when compared to competing options. According to one review from the Los Angeles Times, ClassicMap didn't offer point-to-point directions of any kind, and is "terrible for searching."

"If you type in an exact address you should be fine, but if you search for something by name sometimes the app won't even pretend to search. It'll just sit there ignoring you like a cat or a teenager," writes the LA Times' Salvador Rodriguez.

While ClassicMap may not have offered the optimal implementation of Google's massive mapping services database, the mere existence of such a product underscores a demand for alternatives to iOS Maps.

Since its debut alongside the iPhone 5 in September, Apple's iOS Maps has seen a barrage of negative comments and reviews, most of which compared the new app to the now defunct Google Maps-powered version offered before the launch of iOS 6.

Maps Location Inaccuracy
Incorrect locations seen in iOS Maps.

Of the many flaws found by consumers, most glaring are incorrect location data, lack of public transportation directions and visual inconsistencies in the 3-D "Flyover" feature. A number of other complaints focused on the obvious removal of Google's Street View, which recently returned to iOS in the form of Google Maps' mobile website.

It has been speculated that Apple moved to its proprietary solution in a move to distance itself from Google, creator of the competing Android operating system, and a recent report noted that the Cupertino company had at least a year remaining on its current contract with Google Maps. In an interview with the internet search giant's chairman Eric Schmidt on Wednesday, the rumors were somewhat confirmed as the executive made clear that Google's negotiated terms were rebuffed by Apple, which he said was determined to build its own mapping service.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 79
    Just when I thought we were out of milk, AppleInsider comes to the rescue!
  • Reply 2 of 79

I knew it was only a matter of time before it would get pulled. By the look of the source code posted on GitHub, it does not use the documented Google Maps API which is a huge violation of Google's terms of service and that may be the reason. 

• Reply 3 of 79
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Just when I thought we were out of milk, AppleInsider comes to the rescue!

Indeed.  Adding the bit about how "Apple's iOS Maps has seen a barrage of negative comments and reviews ..." every single time and to every single article is getting a bit old also.  Especially in light of the fact that actual testing of the app has proven that it isn't really that bad at all and that Google's data has it's own errors to worry about.  It might be time to change the phonograph.  

• Reply 4 of 79
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I still am very confident that a Google Maps app will not see the light of day on iOS... ever. Apple will reject it if Google produces one. This whole thing is all about getting rid of Google on iOS as much as possible.
  • Reply 5 of 79
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Today's Google maps error is brought to you by U2 and their song "where the streets have no names"

It's a good thing I have iOS 6 to show me the way

• Reply 6 of 79

its going to take a while before Apple maps are up to standard. Building maps is hard to start with, even harder when you respect peoples privacy.

• Reply 7 of 79
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Shit just got real. And rightfully so.   :)

• Reply 8 of 79
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    geoadm wrote: »
    its going to take a while before Apple maps are up to standard. Building maps is hard to start with, even harder when you respect peoples privacy.

And even harder when every little flaw will get blown out of proportion.
  • Reply 9 of 79
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    You can have any color you like.

As long as it's not Google...
  • Reply 10 of 79

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

And even harder when every little flaw will get blown out of proportion.

While the competitor's identical flaws are ignored, regardless of the timeframe in which they're brought up.

• Reply 11 of 79
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

While the competitor's identical flaws are ignored, regardless of the timeframe in which they're brought up.

Should Google perhaps earn bonus points for being wrong longer?

"If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you're misinformed."

-Mark Twain

• Reply 12 of 79
    Bad Apple- first you crippled my 4S by stripping out StreetView and replace it with Flyover which is gorgeous to look at but utterly useless. Now you jail me in by not allowing replacements enter your iOs to compete against your flawed MapApp. You will be held accountable. You make great desktops but this is getting old- FAST.
  • Reply 13 of 79
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Bad Apple- first you crippled my 4GS

What is a 4GS?

Quote:

Now you jail me in by not allowing replacements enter you iOs to compete against your flawed MapApp.

How do you know why it was pulled?

• Reply 14 of 79
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    isheldon wrote: »
    Bad Apple- first you crippled my 4GS by stripping out StreetView and replace it with Flyover which is gorgeous to look at but utterly useless. Now you jail me in by not allowing replacements enter your iOs to compete against your flawed MapApp. You will be held accountable. You make great desktops but this is getting old- FAST.

Get over yourself! There are plenty of options available for the iPhone, including Google maps, by just adding their web app to your home screen. This whole argument is getting quite silly and frankly, stupid.
  • Reply 15 of 79
    @lkrupp
    chrome?
    youtube?
    google voice?
    google search?
    gmail app?
    google translate?
    google ?
    google shopper?
    google remote?
    orkut?
    google drive?
    google currents?
    google latitude?
    google play books?
    google local?
    last I checked, google was the default search engine.
    and gmail has a button in the account setup screen for mail.app

the idea is to get google out of iOS (reducing apple's dependency on them). it's not to screw the users.

• Reply 16 of 79

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

What is a 4GS?

It's like an iPhone 5, only imaginary.

• Reply 17 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

Bad Apple- first you crippled my 4GS by stripping out StreetView and replace it with Flyover which is gorgeous to look at but utterly useless. Now you jail me in by not allowing replacements enter your iOs to compete against your flawed MapApp. You will be held accountable. You make great desktops but this is getting old- FAST.

Seriously? No really?

First, Apple advertises multiple great competitors!

Second, one of the previous commenters points out possible evidence of breach of terms of Google's service by this pulled app.

Third, I get you're upset that Apple replaced classic Maps with the new Maps app, but that doesn't mean every move Apple makes now is against your personal best interests.

• Reply 18 of 79
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Since Apple does not prevent other apps from using third party mapping API I believe this was related to the developers use of Google Maps API terms of service.
  • Reply 19 of 79
    chris_ca wrote: »
    What is a 4GS?

How do you know why it was pulled?

It's like an iPhone 5, only imaginary.

1.) A 4S that runs on the "4G" AT&T network? Not that difficult to figure out.

2.) And no - not like that imaginary iPhone 6 you keep harping about.
  • Reply 20 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Since Apple does not prevent other apps from using third party mapping API I believe this was related to the developers use of Google Maps API terms of service.

yep - you want turn by turn? google is not your data provider.

https://developers.google.com/maps/terms

(c) No Navigation, Autonomous Vehicle Control, or Enterprise Applications. You must not use the Service or Content with any products, systems, or applications for or in connection with any of the following:

(i) real time navigation or route guidance, including but not limited to turn-by-turn route guidance that is synchronized to the position of a user's sensor-enabled device.

(ii) any systems or functions for automatic or autonomous control of vehicle behavior; or

(iii) enterprise dispatch, fleet management, business asset tracking or similar applications. If you want to engage in enterprise dispatch, fleet management, business asset tracking, or similar applications, please contact the Google Maps API for Business sales team to obtain a Google enterprise license. (If you are offering a non-enterprise implementation, you may use the Google Maps API(s) to track assets such as cars, buses or other vehicles, as long as your tracking application is made available to the public without charge. For example, you may offer a free, public Maps API Implementation that displays real-time public transit or other transportation status information.)