Facebook and iOS

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

I recently read a report that most people supposedly skip the Facebook app and go directly for the web client.  I wondered if maybe iOS6 might change things considering that it integrated Facebook in the OS.  BUT.  Everytime I tap something in email it goes to Safari.  Why doesn't the Facebook app open?  I notice that YouTube will open it's app and not go to the web.  Twitter too.  Why doesn't the Facebook app open?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by protaginets View Post

Everytime I tap something in email it goes to Safari.  Why doesn't the Facebook app open?

Do you REALLY want that trash to open? image

Short answer is that it's not integrated with the OS. Safari is. You don't have to have the Facebook app, and so to build in links to it when the user may not have it at all is a bad idea.

• Reply 2 of 7

The thing is that YouTube and Twitter open without any problems, why doesn't Facebook.  And yes, I do want the actual app to open instead of opening Safari.  Facebook is supposedly integrated in iOS 6, so why not let the app open it?

• Reply 3 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Facebook is supposedly integrated in iOS 6, so why not let the app open it?

For the reason I stated above.

• Reply 4 of 7
    Not a great argument when the Twitter app will load just fine.
  • Reply 5 of 7

Not a great argument when the Twitter app will load just fine.

Okay,

Can twitter.com itself be accessed from mobile devices?

In Settings under Facebook, is there an option there to download the app like there is for Twitter?

And so when you touch a Twitter notification, does it open to the Twitter app, or does it open to Safari?

Sorry I have to ask all these questions; I don't have anything iOS 6.

• Reply 6 of 7

Sorry I have to ask all these questions; I don't have anything iOS 6.

The why even post your high-and-mighty response to a question you just admitted you know nothing about?

Yes it WOULD be nice if the App opened rather than the WebApp.

The OS could easily check to see if the App was installed and then go to the Web if not.
    (Or have a preferences setting for which way you want to go.)

Your opinion of "trash" is just that... Your OPINION... The success of the App shows that many, if not most, people that use Facebook prefer to use the App on iOS devices.
  • Reply 7 of 7

Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Yes it WOULD be nice if the App opened rather than the WebApp.

I'm trying to ascertain if that's the case in other, identical instances. Is it? That's the point here; if it isn't allowed what is of Twitter, or if neither are allowed it. Either it's something close to a glitch or error from Apple with the former or a conscious decision from Apple with the latter.

I fail to see how coming up with potential explanations is pointless.