Analysts stand by Apple stock recommendations after recent declines

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

Any ideas why the stock has dropped so much? (other than press bull)

Profit taking.

In the short term, technicals > fundamentals.  Always.  Long term outlook depends on whether or not Apple can continue to grow, the mobile segment is beginning to get a little saturated.  

• Reply 42 of 52
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

People still believe that share price is driven by how well a company is doing?

• Reply 43 of 52
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    As usual, an emotional response by traders and computers ... I could care less since I'm in Apple for the long term.
  • Reply 44 of 52
    godzillagodzilla Posts: 156member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rain View Post

Stock isn't going back up any time soon.

- Competition has caught up and even passed Apple in technology.

- We haven't seen anything new yet that wasn't inspired by Jobs.

- Apple put all of their eggs in the finicky consumer market - while giving loyal industy supporters the middle finger.

- Lion is a disaster and commercial/professional users are running screaming in the other direction.

- They burned a lot of bridges.

- and the biggest reason to worry... I of all people bought Windows 7 and testing it out. Not because I want to - but because Apple is forcing me to - like most professionals. Mac Pro is a joke and iMacs are useless with glossy displays. Not to mention the push to put everything on the cloud with Lion is not sitting well with everyone. I'm not alone with a huge swath of old loyalists leaving the party. Was a good 20 year run. Can't complain.

(and for those who say 'bye, you wont be missed' - lol as your stocks plummet).

People just dont like the direction Apple is heading.

And for those of you short sighted enough to blame the 'media' - lol - seriously? Who do you think put Apple there in the first place?

They got some soul searching to do as a company. And they have to prove themselves as an innovator without Jobs. If they can do that - then stock will jump.

Right now - the only thing keeping the stock high is that the Apple TV and expectations the ecosystem around it will be amazing (without Jobs).

If that fails to materialize - watch out below.

Hahaha. What BS. Have you ever invested in the stock market?

People buy stock based on projections 3 years away? I guess record breaking iPhone 5 numbers, the fact that hey can't build them fast enough to match the INCREDIBLE demand, the fact that the phone IS regarded higher than any iPhone before it (ignoring the Fandroid geek trolling that permeates message boards to try and manipulate facts to match their obsessed theories), garnering more attention and hype than any before it, iPad Mini, basically more money than anybody else has.... anywhere (no debt to match), and a nice Dividend won't matter when people buy today.

Where do you guys come up with this stuff. No wonder you're so bitter, you probably never bought AAPL because they've been doooooooomed all along!

• Reply 45 of 52
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I am not against all taxes. There should be sufficient tension between tax revenue and efficient services provided by the government that are Constitutionally limited and I presume this tension would create periods of insufficiently funded government. The balance between states rights and the federal government swing continuously, just as freedom of the people tends to decrease as the powers of government increase, which results in an eventual backlash and defunding of the illegitimate functions of government. These swings and continual tension ensures no one branch of government, or special interest becomes too powerful. Inevitably, "the people" get what they want, even if they do themselves harm by allowing the government to become too powerful for a while.

In the same way that individuals change throughout their lives, the size of government should increase at times, but it should also shrink at times. The problems we find today are that government is not shrinking because we have had presidents and a Congress that represent the interests of certain businesses, such as oil companies, the military-industrial complex and the banking/finance sector instead of fulfilling their Constitutionally-limited and defined functions. Corporatism is the name of the game today.

So you are not against either taxes or regulation per se.  You can try to pretty it up by citing "illegitimate functions of government", but I think you are saying you are only against them when it is your ox that is being gored*....... just like everybody else who is in favor of selected taxes and regulation.

*pun only half intended

• Reply 46 of 52
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by quinney View Post

So you are not against either taxes or regulation per se.  You can try to pretty it up by citing "illegitimate functions of government", but I think you are saying you are only against them when it is your ox that is being gored*....... just like everybody else who is in favor of selected taxes and regulation.

*pun only half intended

The "legitimate functions of government" are spelled out in the Constitution. Some of the more recent amendments deserve to be struck down.

• Reply 47 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by axual View Post

As usual, an emotional response by traders and computers ... I could care less since I'm in Apple for the long term.

You always need an exit strategy.  No stock runs up forever.  There is always a 'highest' price.  Not saying Apple's reached it, but to hold on to something forever is silly.  

The 'emotional' response is to get attached to a stock.  As a trader, only 1 thing matters to me.  %Change/Time.  

Get attached to a company as a consumer.  Not as an investor.  

• Reply 48 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

You always need an exit strategy.  No stock runs up forever.  There is always a 'highest' price.  Not saying Apple's reached it, but to hold on to something forever is silly.  

The 'emotional' response is to get attached to a stock.  As a trader, only 1 thing matters to me.  %Change/Time.  

True, but that "highest price" might not come within our lifetime. Look at those companies that have been around for a half a century or more and are still growing stock prices. It happens, and it will happen again.

Too many people are obsessed with the imminent "decline" of Apple, as if it's something that will happen overnight. True, this is tech, but I think Apple are the ones who really proved how to think around that "imminent demise of tech", and they're the ones who are forging ahead the future of sustainability in tech. The fact that they've run a very unique business strategy, one of being saving a war chest of funds and keeping no debt, little overhead, relying on 3rd party suppliers to remain agile enough to shift and sway with any market conditions, etc., which about every other tech companied has tried to copy to a "T", should prove that.

• Reply 49 of 52
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    So anybody care to share some technical analysis on AAPL? I see a lack of support at 700 and improved support initially at around 625 on Tuesday with improving support level of 628 yesterday. Have we hit a floor, or will there be another $10 drop before earnings?

If I were more pessimistic I would want to shift around some of my options expirations, but so far I can't see a rational reason why AAPL won't be back around $675-700 after earnings release.
  • Reply 50 of 52
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    mikeb85 wrote: »
    True enough... "buy and hold forever" is an irrational investment strategy.

There are bad companies with good stock and good companies with bad stock. I think the "attachment" issue is that when you have a good company with a good stock it is hard to understand the disconnect with the underlying fundamentals. Specific to AAPL (not saying that a 10% pullback is something to loose your hair over), they had a very successful product launch with demand far outstripping supply, that was timed more favorably in the quarter than analysts expected... and that is when we see the stock retreat!

I get "attached" to AAPL as a consumer, but also so I can capitalize on shorter-term movements. Unfortunately, I was overexposed before this drop, so I am awake at 4AM taking a closer look at thing...
  • Reply 51 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

True enough... "buy and hold forever" is an irrational investment strategy.

There are bad companies with good stock and good companies with bad stock. I think the "attachment" issue is that when you have a good company with a good stock it is hard to understand the disconnect with the underlying fundamentals. Specific to AAPL (not saying that a 10% pullback is something to loose your hair over), they had a very successful product launch with demand far outstripping supply, that was timed more favorably in the quarter than analysts expected... and that is when we see the stock retreat!

I get "attached" to AAPL as a consumer, but also so I can capitalize on shorter-term movements. Unfortunately, I was overexposed before this drop, so I am awake at 4AM taking a closer look at thing...

Well, this morning I sold my longest held investment, so I bought a few Apple shares for the hell of it.  Already up on my investment.  I think ~630 was support for the near term, I expect it to go back up approaching the release of the iPad mini.  

Long term, I don't like Apple's bullying business tactics and lack of openness - closed ecosystems have always failed historically.  But short term - Android and Windows OEMs continue putting out garbage (except my 2 favourites - HTC and Lenovo - though they don't get much press in the US).  

A wildcard is RIM - BB10 looks great, but they've already lost too much mindshare, not sure if they can re-gain customers.  I really want HTC to succeed as I love their products, but they have terrible marketing, release too many products, and are at the mercy of the ecosystem.  My HTC phone is great though, the only Android brand I would ever consider (I've used other people's Samsungs, LGs and Motorolas, they're all garbage).  

• Reply 52 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

So anybody care to share some technical analysis on AAPL? I see a lack of support at 700 and improved support initially at around 625 on Tuesday with improving support level of 628 yesterday. Have we hit a floor, or will there be another $10 drop before earnings?

If I were more pessimistic I would want to shift around some of my options expirations, but so far I can't see a rational reason why AAPL won't be back around $675-700 after earnings release.

My own analysis is pretty much the same.  I bought at 630.