Mapping app powered by Google Maps pulled from App Store

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    [quote]... and a recent report noted that the Cupertino company had at least a year remaining on its current contract with Google Maps. ...[/quote]

This keeps getting repeated, but it's never clearly stated, or perhaps even understood that this "year remaing" wa most likely from June 2012, not September 2012. So, at the time iOS 6 was released, another 9 months, or until 3 months prior to the likely release of iOS 7, which would have been a really bad time to try to put out a new iOS release just to update the mapping software. The time was right. Waiting 9 months would have been pointless.
  • Reply 22 of 79

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

1.) A 4S that runs on the "4G" AT&T network? Not that difficult to figure out.

When the name you use is the equivalent of calling the first MacBook Pro with 802.11n the "MacBook N" and expecting people to know what you mean, yeah, it's a problem.

2.) And no - not like that imaginary iPhone 6 you keep harping about.

Yes, the one I've said nothing about for over half a year and specifically denounced since then. That one. My stars, it's like if someone was making fun of a vegetarian turned omnivore by saying they used to only eat lettuce and expecting anyone to want to take their side.

Some real issues here.

• Reply 23 of 79
    milkmage wrote: »
    yep - you want turn by turn? google is not your data provider.

https://developers.google.com/maps/terms

<span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;line-height:21px;">(c) </span>
    <span style="text-decoration:underline;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;line-height:21px;">No Navigation, Autonomous Vehicle Control, or Enterprise Applications.</span>
    <span style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;line-height:21px;"> You must not use the Service or Content with any products, systems, or applications for or in connection with any of the following:</span>

<br style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;line-height:21px;">
    <br style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;line-height:21px;">
    <div style="margin-left:40px;border:0px;font-family:Arial, sans-serif;vertical-align:baseline;color:rgb(51,51,51);line-height:21px;">(i) real time navigation or route guidance, including but not limited to turn-by-turn route guidance that is synchronized to the position of a user's sensor-enabled device.

(ii) any systems or functions for automatic or autonomous control of vehicle behavior; or

(iii) enterprise dispatch, fleet management, business asset tracking or similar applications. If you want to engage in enterprise dispatch, fleet management, business asset tracking, or similar applications, please contact the <a href="http://www.google.com/support/enterprise/bin/request.py?contact_type=gme&utm_campaign=en-us-codeterms" style="margin:0px;padding:0px;border:0px;font-style:inherit;font-family:inherit;vertical-align:baseline;color:rgb(17,85,204);" target="_blank">Google Maps API for Business sales team</a>
     to obtain a Google enterprise license. (If you are offering a non-enterprise implementation, you may use the Google Maps API(s) to track assets such as cars, buses or other vehicles, as long as your tracking application is made available to the public without charge. For example, you may offer a free, public Maps API Implementation that displays real-time public transit or other transportation status information.)</div>

But Google is open, surely they wouldn't mind if someone used their services in a way they were asked not to.
  • Reply 24 of 79
    When the name you use is the equivalent of calling the first MacBook Pro with 802.11n the "MacBook N" and expecting people to know what you mean, yeah, it's a problem.

Yes, the one I've said nothing about for over half a year and specifically denounced since then. That one. My stars, it's like if someone was making fun of a vegetarian turned omnivore by saying they used to only eat lettuce and expecting anyone to want to take their side.

Some real issues here.

None here- I had a typo mistake.
    What's your excuse?
  • Reply 25 of 79

None here- I had a typo mistake.

So why would you have tried to explain this away as not being a typo and then backtrack and call it a typo? Why not just say it was a typo straight off and edit the post?

Come on!

• Reply 26 of 79
    So why would you have tried to explain this away as not being a typo and then backtrack and call it a typo? Why not just say it was a typo straight off and edit the post?

Come on!

Because I was asked a snarky question from ChrisCA?
    What else could I have meant?

Come on!
  • Reply 27 of 79

I believe more that he was genuinely confused with the model to which you were referring. Could have been a 3GS typo as easily as it could have been a 4S typo.

• Reply 28 of 79
    I believe more that he was genuinely confused with the model to which you were referring. Could have been a 3GS typo as easily as it could have been a 4S typo.

Good try - but NO cigar. Are you naive?
    Why didn't he ask me directly then -"did you mean 3Gs or 4G?"
  • Reply 29 of 79

Why didn't he ask me directly -"did you mean 3Gs or 4G?" then.

No, no.

"What's a 4GS?" "Oops, I meant ____." is just as valid an exchange as the one you proffer.

• Reply 30 of 79
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    isheldon wrote: »
    Come on!

It didn't sound snarky. I was going to ask the same question since a typo could mean 3GS (most likely) or 4S (less likely since you should have known you made one more letter entry). A simple "I made a typo. I meant 4S" would have been the perfect reply.
  • Reply 31 of 79
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Bad Apple- first you crippled my 4S by stripping out StreetView and replace it with Flyover which is gorgeous to look at but utterly useless. Now you jail me in by not allowing replacements enter your iOs to compete against your flawed MapApp. You will be held accountable. You make great desktops but this is getting old- FAST.

Do you like all the Google maps errors I've been pointing out every time they run one of these stories, the use of screen shots demonstrating why Apple maps are better.

It's strange how you seem to ignore them.

Turn by turn directions

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

?

Streetview

Time to build a bridge, get over it.

• Reply 32 of 79
    No, no.

"What's a 4GS?" "Oops, I meant ____." is just as valid an exchange as the one you proffer.

Yes yes!
    He asked " What is a 4GS?"
    Totally different.
    Is English your second language?
  • Reply 33 of 79
    hill60 wrote: »
    Do you like all the Google maps errors I've been pointing out every time they run one of these stories, the use of screen shots demonstrating why Apple maps are better.

It's strange how you seem to ignore them.
    Turn by turn directions
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    Streetview

Time to build a bridge, get over it.

I have no idea what your talking about because how does any of that of what you keep repeating replace StreetView?
  • Reply 34 of 79

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"What's a 4GS?"

He asked " What is a 4GS?" Totally different.

I'm done with your complete insanity. 

• Reply 35 of 79
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I'm done with your complete insanity. 

I didn't know that "what is" is completely different than "what's" :D

Edit: wait.... Maybe I should have said "did not"..... You know.. It's probably different from "didn't"!!
  • Reply 36 of 79

Quote:

I have no idea what your talking about because how does any of that of what you keep repeating replace StreetView?

Say you just bought a house you wanted a removal company to take your stuff there and you wanted to hold a house warming party so your friends could come along and celebrate.

In all my examples they would be lost using Google maps but would have no problems using iOS 6 based maps.

Using todays post, say your new home was in Gibson street.

• Reply 37 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Today's Google maps error is brought to you by U2 and their song "where the streets have no names"

It's a good thing I have iOS 6 to show me the way

Sorry this comparison proves virtually nothing -- they're both horrible.

If anything however, what Google has for roads is better than what's shown in Apple's Maps (lack of labeling notwithstanding). In the end though they'd *both* get you lost.

Reference map: http://www.oranparktown.com.au/assets/pdf/Masterplan/C11134_masterplan_update_v7_nocrops.pdf

Besides, the community doesn't even appear to have been built yet making this comparison even more meaningless.

• Reply 38 of 79
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I didn't know whether he meant a 3GS or 4S (typo) or he was referring to iPhone 5 as a 4GS (implying it was not enough to be new generation).

iSheldon posted;

Why didn't he ask me directly then -"did you mean 3Gs or 4G?"

Because I asked you more directly "what is a 4GS?"

Either way works.

and you thought that was a "snarky" question?

After your responses, still I am confused...

• Reply 39 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by sausages View Post

Sorry this comparison proves virtually nothing -- they're both horrible.

If anything however, what Google has for roads is better than what's shown in Apple's Maps (lack of labeling notwithstanding). In the end though they'd *both* get you lost.

Reference map: http://www.oranparktown.com.au/assets/pdf/Masterplan/C11134_masterplan_update_v7_nocrops.pdf

Besides, the community doesn't even appear to have been built yet making this comparison even more meaningless.

So it's too bad if you are in one of the "100 homes occupied" in 2011 because anyone using Google maps will not be able to find you, whereas using iOS 6 maps (which become less "horrible" depending on zoom level) will.

http://www.oranparktown.com.au/timeline

• Reply 40 of 79
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    hill60 wrote: »
    Today's Google maps error is brought to you by U2 and their song "where the streets have no names"

It's a good thing I have iOS 6 to show me the way

And both are poor compared to the gold standard, Nokia Maps.