Apple 'likely' to unveil 'iPad mini' at event on Oct. 23 - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 165
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac-user View Post

$349

but if it were at $299, at the price of the iPod Touch, doesn't mean both couldn't be successful. The two can serve different purposes.

I think the iPod Touch's day is done.  The 5G is a great touch...but not enough that I would buy one vs giving my kid my old iPhone 4.  Which I think can still make emergency calls to 911 without a contract.  Next year we'll have a spare 4S, the year after a spare 5.

I could sell my iPhone 4 and buy the more capable Touch 5G but I want at least one spare phone around...

• Reply 22 of 165
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I'm guessing one side will be longer than an adjacent side.

Careful that the limb you're out on doesnt break.
  • Reply 23 of 165
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

I think the iPod Touch's day is done.  The 5G is a great touch...but not enough that I would buy one vs giving my kid my old iPhone 4.

But, giving your kid your old iPhone 4 is not so common with people that it justifies killing the iPod touch, as an Apple product.

The iPod touch this year is by far the best iPod touch ever released. It's the iPhone without a contract. I'd love to see it priced at $249, but I think having it seem like it's priced just out of reach is sheer genius from a marketing perspective, and it keeps it seeming like an aspiration, quality Apple product. It's a great 13 - 16 year old's Christmas present.

• Reply 24 of 165
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    rot'napple wrote: »
    Any chance iMacs will be intro'ed as well?

Apple doesn't care about the Mac. I just hope the Mac mini is updated sometime next year because I'm looking to upgrade.
  • Reply 25 of 165
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Apple doesn't care about the Mac. I just hope the Mac mini is updated sometime next year because I'm looking to upgrade.

You left out an "i".

• Reply 26 of 165
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    1024x768 will be FAIL IMO. I think a device priced more than $199 will sell but it needs to have better specs and features than Fire HD and Nexus 7.
  • Reply 27 of 165

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

1024x768 will be FAIL IMO. I think a device priced more than $199 will sell but it needs to have better specs and features than Fire HD and Nexus 7.

It is called iOS.

1024x768 = complete compatibility with iPad apps.

Next year they can do retina.

• Reply 28 of 165

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

But, giving your kid your old iPhone 4 is not so common with people that it justifies killing the iPod touch, as an Apple product.

The iPod touch this year is by far the best iPod touch ever released. It's the iPhone without a contract. I'd love to see it priced at $249, but I think having it seem like it's priced just out of reach is sheer genius from a marketing perspective, and it keeps it seeming like an aspiration, quality Apple product. It's a great 13 - 16 year old's Christmas present.

I don't think they SHOULD kill it and I agree it's the best touch ever.  I'm just saying as a parent I'm not buying any.  Not when I can get a $45 StraightTalk plan that includes unlimited voice, data and texts for my older iPhones and kill two birds with one stone if I have a teen.

I would buy a $300 iPad mini for my kids.  Or more likely "for Mom" and she can "lend" it as needed.  I think we pretty much decided not to directly buy the kids any electronics.

If there ISN'T a $300 iPad mini I'm favoring either an iPad 2 or a Nexus 7.  Especially if those hit $99 which I don't think is likely.  $150 maybe.

• Reply 29 of 165
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    I thought it was going to be announced next week?

I wonder how many more weeks it can get pushed back before this rumor goes bye bye until the spring.
  • Reply 30 of 165

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I thought it was going to be announced next week?

I wonder how many more weeks it can get pushed back before this rumor goes bye bye until the spring.

I would say 0 weeks but I suppose before black friday is still vaguely viable.

• Reply 31 of 165
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    Interesting that there are more comments here about the macs than the ipad mini.
  • Reply 32 of 165

Quote:

Originally Posted by xgman View Post

Interesting that there are more comments here about the macs than the ipad mini.

Lots of folks are holding off on a refresh of their desktops.

• Reply 33 of 165

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm guessing one side will be longer than an adjacent side.

Impossible: Samsung owns the patent on devices with a side longer than an adjacent side. 

Only joking.

• Reply 34 of 165
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreGauvreau View Post

I think Apple should leave iPad and iPhone for a while and go back to what brought them alive in the first place.  Wich is desktop computers.  There is still lots of customer starting to be angry at the lateness of action on this part...

But I guess they lost the essence of reality...

The reality is that Apple makes far more revenue and profit from iOS devices than Macs.

Although I am in agreement in that I'd like to see new Mac desktops too.

• Reply 35 of 165
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    nht wrote: »
    It is called iOS.

1024x768 = complete compatibility with iPad apps.

Next year they can do retina.
    iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, Macabook Pro all have retina display but the smaller iPad can't have it? What's the difference between this year and next year? I'm sorry but if this device is released and has inferior specs compared to Fire and Nexus 7 AND is $50-$100 more expensive it will get trashed in reviews. Unless you're already heavily invested in iOS ecosystem is it really worth that much of a premium, especially if the display is inferior? I know there's no way I'd ever go back to a non-retina display on my idevices.
  • Reply 36 of 165
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

The essence of reality is in your pants.

It's for sure not on your desktop. That's only there to serve your mobile device.
  • Reply 37 of 165
    I think Apple should leave iPad and iPhone for a while and go back to what brought them alive in the first place.  Wich is desktop computers.  There is still lots of customer starting to be angry at the lateness of action on this part...

Give us new iMacs and new Mac Pros... PLEASE

Sad- The iMac is being treated like an afterthought at this point.
  • Reply 38 of 165

Jim Dalrymple at LoopInsight.com has just confirmed the 23rd, so BOOM!

• Reply 39 of 165

It was yep'ed by Dalrymple. So I think it's settled: Oct 23 it will be.

Btw, my guess is that it will be $250 wifi, $350 LTE. And will have the same resolution as the iPad2.

• Reply 40 of 165

Sorry, I didn't see your post, RegurgitatedCoprolite...