Apple 'likely' to unveil 'iPad mini' at event on Oct. 23 - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 165

xgman wrote: »
    Interesting that there are more comments here about the macs than the ipad mini.

The iMac which brought Apple back from the brink of extinction gets no respect.
  • Reply 42 of 165

Hey, monobazus, no harm, no foul !

• Reply 43 of 165
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Jim Dalrymple at LoopInsight.com has just confirmed the 23rd, so BOOM!
    Please let this have retina display. Don't skimp on at Apple.
  • Reply 44 of 165

Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

It is called iOS.

1024x768 = complete compatibility with iPad apps.

Next year they can do retina.

Agreed.

• Reply 45 of 165
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Apple'likely' to unveil............ this site has gone downhill lately. More than ever I've noticed reportedly and likely and probably or a analyst assumes.

That is John P's term, not AI.

Likely because it might just as likely not happen

Unlike DeWitt's confirmed event for next week and confirmed invites that didn't show up two days ago
  • Reply 46 of 165
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    isheldon wrote: »
    Sad- The iMac is being treated like an afterthought at this point.

On the contrary, if the iMac was an afterthought they would just slap whatever in it and be done. None of this 'something great is coming soon' hints from up top.
  • Reply 47 of 165
    monobazus wrote: »
    Agreed.
    Well then sorry to say I think this will be a big fail for Apple. If they can do retina next year why can't they do it now?
  • Reply 48 of 165

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Well then sorry to say I think this will be a big fail for Apple. If they can do retina next year why can't they do it now?

I read a Gruber take on this the other day, at http://daringfireball.net/2012/08/ipad_mini_even_througher.

He says, and I tend to agree:

Cost can’t be the only factor in play, though. There must be something great about the device’s design. If it’s not display quality, what else? I’m thinking thickness and weight. The iPad 3 gained a retina display — but at the expense of getting thicker and heavier than the iPad 2, so as to fit a more powerful battery to run those additional 2,359,296 pixels. So I’m thinking the iPad Mini doesn’t get a retina display but in exchange gets to go remarkably thin.

• Reply 49 of 165
    bcodebcode Posts: 141member
    My hope is that they will use the event to introduce their new Desktop lineup and do a "One More Thing" at the end to introduce the iPad Mini.

Tim hasn't done a "One More Thing" yet, and the last few keynotes that Steve did, didn't include it either -- I'd say we're due.
  • Reply 50 of 165
    I read a Gruber take on this the other day, at http://daringfireball.net/2012/08/ipad_mini_even_througher.

<span style="color:rgb(238,238,238);font-family:Verdana, 'Bitstream Vera Sans', sans-serif;font-size:11px;line-height:19px;background-color:rgb(74,82,90);">Cost can’t be the only factor in play, though. There must be something great about the device’s design. If it’s not display quality, what else? I’m thinking thickness and weight. The iPad 3 gained a retina display — but at the expense of getting thicker and heavier than the iPad 2, so as to fit a more powerful battery to run those additional 2,359,296 pixels. So I’m thinking the iPad Mini doesn’t get a retina display but in exchange gets to go remarkably thin.</span>
    I guess I could see that. All depends on what's more important to people - thin and light or awesome display.
  • Reply 51 of 165
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

The iMac which brought Apple back from the brink of distinction gets no respect.

Extinction maybe?  I think we will see a small bump to Ivy Bridge in the very near future for the desktop line (not Mac Pro, that's 2013), but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't unveil any of that on the 23rd.  They aren't changing form factors or anything (I don't expect), they will just change the guts and drop it on us

• Reply 52 of 165
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

<span style="color:rgb(238,238,238);font-family:Verdana, 'Bitstream Vera Sans', sans-serif;font-size:11px;line-height:19px;background-color:rgb(74,82,90);">Cost can’t be the only factor in play, though. There must be something great about the device’s design. If it’s not display quality, what else? I’m thinking thickness and weight. The iPad 3 gained a retina display — but at the expense of getting thicker and heavier than the iPad 2, so as to fit a more powerful battery to run those additional 2,359,296 pixels. So I’m thinking the iPad Mini doesn’t get a retina display but in exchange gets to go remarkably thin.</span>

I've been saying this for months. But Gruber doesn't go far enough. Based on everything Jobs said about tablets, Apple will simply not get into the mini-tablet business only to take on Google with a miniaturized version of iPad. If this actually materializes, and I'm sort of dubious by this point, Apple's mini-tablet will redefine the 7" tablet space. Not just compete for market share against Android-powered devices, with merely a stylish design and higher quality parts. People who already have iPads and iPhones will consider buying them. And I fully expect this to replace the increasingly redundant iPod Touch by next year.
  • Reply 53 of 165

Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Any chance iMacs will be intro'ed as well?

0% if it's an iDevice event.

Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post

Apple'likely' to unveil............ this site has gone downhill lately. More than ever I've noticed reportedly and likely and probably or a analyst assumes.

You really need to go back to the beginning and learn why this site exists.

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I wonder how many more weeks it can get pushed back before this rumor goes bye bye forever

I wonder, too.

If they can do retina next year why can't they do it now?

If they can do Haswell next year, why can't they do Haswell now? If they can do quantum processors faster than the combined total processing power of the entire human race in the future, why can't they do it now? If they can do ten exabyte NAND chips in the future, why can't they do them now? The [insert device here] is a failure if it does not include these things.

• Reply 54 of 165
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    It was yep'ed by Dalrymple. So I think it's settled: Oct 23 it will be.
    Btw, my guess is that it will be $250 wifi, $350 LTE. And will have the same resolution as the iPad2.

So happy it's confirmed now. Money's ready. Please don't let it be retina. Retina need a bigger battery. I hope Apple is smart enough to design this to be the lightest tablet out there.
  • Reply 55 of 165
    How about $149 with a one year data contract? $349 without?
  • Reply 56 of 165
    0% if it's an iDevice event.

You really need to go back to the beginning and learn why this site exists.

I wonder, too.

If they can do Haswell next year, why can't they do Haswell now? If they can do quantum processors faster than the combined total processing power of the entire human race in the future, why can't they do it now? If they can do ten exabyte NAND chips in the future, why can't they do them now? The [insert device here] is a failure if it does not include these things.
    Ok but you didn't explain why Apple can't release a smaller iPad with retina now. What are the technical reasons it won't work? Or is it not technical but price?
  • Reply 57 of 165
    matrix07 wrote: »
    So happy it's confirmed now. Money's ready. Please don't let it be retina. Retina need a bigger battery. I hope Apple is smart enough to design this to be the lightest tablet out there.
    That's the only reason I would maybe support non-retina. But after having a retina display its hard to go back to something that doesn't have it.
  • Reply 58 of 165

Ok but you didn't explain why Apple can't release a smaller iPad with retina now. What are the technical reasons it won't work? Or is it not technical but price?

If the technology doesn't exist to do a 7.85" panel in arms-length retina format right now, then it just can't be done until it does. 

1600x1200 is 4:3, and on a 7.85" display, it fits the "retina" definition. I'm gonna guess that's just not physically possible right now. Ignoring that it destroys the resolution parity between models, of course.

And if you're seriously talking 2048x1536, that's nearly one and a half times "retina" on the regular iPad, and there's no way it could be possible on a 7" screen yet.

• Reply 59 of 165
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    rogifan wrote: »
    That's the only reason I would maybe support non-retina. But after having a retina display its hard to go back to something that doesn't have it.

I quite like retina and will buy the next iPad next year but this is for my wife and she wants something very light.
  • Reply 60 of 165

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

I quite like retina and will buy the next iPad next year but this is for my wife and she wants something very light.

Why not stay tuned for that next iPad? I can't imagine it getting any heavier now that we have the retina display in play. And won't it get an in-cell touch panel? So that much thinner and lighter. 

Or, if there's no iPad mini, the iPad 2 should drop to $299, and it's the lightest of the iPads so far.