Apple reaches license agreement for Swiss rail clock design

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Swiss Federal Railways announced on Friday that it has reached an agreement with Apple for the use of its famous clock design on iOS devices.

Clock

Left: Apple's iOS 6 clock. Right: the clock design owned by SBB.

Apple and the Swiss Federal Railways SBB have already agreed to and signed the deal, the railway announced in a press release. Both parties agreed to keep the licensing fee associated with the deal secret.

The iconic design of the railway station clock was built in 1944 by engineer and designer Hans Hilfiker. A nearly identical design to the SBB clock is featured in the iPad version of Apple's iOS 6 mobile operating system.

The railway announced last month that it would meet with Apple to discuss a deal over the use of its clock design. The design appeared in the "Clock" application of iOS 6 without a proper licensing deal.

The SBB publicly said that it was "proud" Apple chose to use its iconic clock design in iOS 6. The company said it was flattering to have a "brand as important as Apple" use their design.

"There are a lot of brands that use the SBB logo, though nothing like Apple," a company spokeswoman said in September. "It's not just about exchanging money, rather drawing up a contract stating where the logo can be used, under what conditions and for how long."

SBB licenses the clock designs for various products, including its own collection of watches that are available for sale.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 81

It's about time.

• Reply 2 of 81
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    I don't see that design in the ios 6 clock app.l
  • Reply 3 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Netcrawler View Post

It's about time.

Et touché

• Reply 4 of 81
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    I love that watch... Anybody have a link to buy?
  • Reply 5 of 81
    Free Macs for Swiss Federal Railways!
  • Reply 6 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

I don't see that design in the ios 6 clock app.l

Its in the Ipad version of the clock app on the World clocks page, and now I look closer, even the Icon

• Reply 7 of 81
    The watches that are authorized to use the SBB dial face are made by a company called Mondaine, they make this dial face in both automatic and quartz battery styles. www.mondaine.com
  • Reply 8 of 81
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Netcrawler View Post

It's about time.

I second that.

• Reply 9 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I second that.

comedy gold :) someone should write the minutes

• Reply 10 of 81

Frustrating that AI keeps using the old version of the SBB design in these articles.  With the current version, it's much clearer:

• Reply 11 of 81

Looks like one of the two does not have the correct time ;-)

• Reply 12 of 81
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

with this deal, Sammy doesn't know which version to copy.

• Reply 13 of 81
    But does it stop for 1.5 seconds on the minute?
  • Reply 14 of 81
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    Indeed, I was about to say that the design is much close to the Mondaine watch that I am currently wearing then the logo supplied for the article. The key changes are shorter fatter hour marks, and a smaller seconds hand which does not overlap the hour marks when passing. Also, the seconds hand is a traditional 1 second tick on the watch, but a "rolex style" single sweeping motion on the iPad version.
  • Reply 15 of 81
    Those clock faces look nothing alike. Not only do they show completely different times, but minute markers are significantly longer and the five minute markers are squatter. Plus, the Mondaine watch face is an actual watch face whereas the iPad clock is simply an image of a clock face. I think Apple gave them a gift.
  • Reply 16 of 81
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

The secret part of the deal is that it won't be licensed to Samsung.  image

• Reply 17 of 81
    red oak wrote: »
    I love that watch... Anybody have a link to buy?
    http://www.watchismo.com/mondaine-watches.aspx

Some pretty nice ones... reasonable prices too.
  • Reply 18 of 81
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Scubadiver View Post

Those clock faces look nothing alike. 

Hyperbole much? These two look NOTHING alike?

• Reply 19 of 81
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Scubadiver View Post

Those clock faces look nothing alike. Not only do they show completely different times, but minute markers are significantly longer and the five minute markers are squatter. Plus, the Mondaine watch face is an actual watch face whereas the iPad clock is simply an image of a clock face. I think Apple gave them a gift.

As mentioned in the comments, the article image is out of date.  Even the actual watch face image included in the comments further down is a little out of date, the real things having a shorter minute hand which doesn't obscure the minute marks as it passes.

• Reply 20 of 81
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    richl wrote: »
    I second that.
    One more joke like that and I'll clock you one!