iOS 6 Maps, Lightning connector have no effect on iPhone 5 demand, survey finds

Comments

• Reply 21 of 90
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

Oh, forgot to mention: why do people survey the US market about products when that market is known to be the first to receive coverage on everything? Why not ask The Rest Of The World what we think about Apple Maps?

The US market is *the* premiere market for consumer electronics. It's the tennis court everyone wants to win on. It's the test for product viability. Mindshare and brand power are made or broken in this market. You do well in the US market, your chances of doing well worldwide go up by an order magnitude; your product achieves "star power", making it more desirable worldwide. This, in turn, influences how you'll perform in other markets. 

The US market is not the biggest market, but it's hands-down the most important. 

• Reply 22 of 90
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member

The lightning connector is better. Complaining about it seems like a desperate attempt to be heard.

• Reply 23 of 90

I bought one iPhone 5 two weeks ago, to replace my iPhone 4. My wife took possession of it, almost immediately. No guts from me to retake possession (after all, she had a 3GS). She says it's the best computer appliance she has ever had.

To the point: she loves the ligthning connector, the 30 pin connector was a pain. The Maps are ok were I live (Portugal). Only problem is Siri, there is yet no Portuguese version. With a Portuguese Siri, it would be perfect for her, she is an enologist needing constant oral dictation with her hands wet and in a very harsh working environment.

The iPhone 5 rocks, much better than any previous iPhone.

• Reply 24 of 90
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    It's possible that there are some people who never use maps on their phone... and who don't own any 30-pin speaker docks.

No. The "negative headlines" mentioned have been primarily on nerd/tech web sites and forums populated by whining crybabies seeking to blow everything up into a major issue. Meanwhile real world users are clamoring for the iPhone 5 like never before it would appear. When are the so-called techies going to finally figure out that their opinions and rants are meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Nobody listens to them accept other tech weenies with various axes to grind. I mean just take a look at AI these days. Almost every thread now has the obligatory "Steve is dead, Apple is doomed" diatribe, the "Apple is losing its way" bleating sheep missive. Quite sickening really.
  • Reply 25 of 90
    vaelianvaelian Posts: 446member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    The US market is *the* premiere market for consumer electronics. It's the tennis court everyone wants to win on. It's the test for product viability. Mindshare and brand power are made or broken in this market. You do well in the US market, your chances of doing well worldwide go up by an order magnitude; your product achieves "star power", making it more desirable worldwide. This, in turn, influences how you'll perform in other markets. 

The US market is not the biggest market, but it's hands-down the most important. 

Sure, but that's not the point. The point is that it's ridiculous to poll the US market and then claim that there's no problem at all. Siri went without Maps support in the rest of the world for an entire year. Just because it's fine in the US, doesn't mean it's fine everywhere else.
  • Reply 26 of 90

Quote:

Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

Do American carriers have some kind of reservation system in place for getting an iPhone? 

The queuing system is great, much better than chasing around stores for available units. More countries should do it...

Quote:

Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

(you know, centre of the universe and all)

Quote:

Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

I've only seen a few out in public as well.

In Ottawa I haven't seen a single one yet, aside from store display models and mine.

Again in Ottawa, haven't noticed any accuracy problems with maps.  The searching for POIs is hit and miss, but it's no worse overall than Google. Just different ones that do and don't work.

As for lightning, I love it. Yes it's not compatible but it had to change some time. So easy to insert, yet fits firm and snug.  Glad to have the new port since I plan to keep the phone for 3 years, and I give it a year before *new* accessories stop coming out for the 30-pin connector (yeah yeah tons of legacy devices and I'm sure existing accessories will continue to be manufactured for years to come but it won't be long before companies stop putting effort into designing new ones).

• Reply 27 of 90

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    I've had Zero problems with Apple Maps in and around Philadelphia. And I've been praying for for the 30-pin's death for years.

Lighting is fantastic.

Must be an awesome phone if the connector gets all the good press! image

• Reply 28 of 90
    vaelian wrote: »
    Sure, but that's not the point. The point is that it's ridiculous to poll the US market and then claim that there's no problem at all. Siri went without Maps support in the rest of the world for an entire year. Just because it's fine in the US, doesn't mean it's fine everywhere else.

While I agree the US market isn't the end all be all but that's not what this article is about. It's about the problems with Maps (here in the US or elsewhere) and the new dock connector affecting sales. It didn't/doesn't.
  • Reply 29 of 90

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

My only disappointment is the lack of availability of lighting to USB cables and the 30pin to Lightning adapters until a week or so into Oct.

Agree. I ordered mine on iPhone Day +2, and am still waiting....

• Reply 30 of 90
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Oh, forgot to mention: why do people survey the US market about products when that market is known to be the first to receive coverage on everything? Why not ask The Rest Of The World what we think about Apple Maps?

*Raise hand*. The new map is better than the old Google map. Here in South East Asia the map looks the same. The sattelite image look identical albeit a bit more over-exposed. There are much more POIs than Google map but some are misplaced. Load much quicker. Graphic is nicer. Flyover (on iPad 2) is pretty awesome. No traffic info but TI on Google map is pretty bad anyway so I still use official traffic map app here.
    So far I like it much more than old Google map.
  • Reply 31 of 90
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    It's possible that there are some people who never use maps on their phone... and who don't own any 30-pin speaker docks.

Having just finished 2000 miles navigating with iOS 6.0 maps, it did very very well. I stayed off interstates with the exception of some major metro areas.

The map issues are way overblown.
  • Reply 32 of 90
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    It is also possible that the majority of iPhone owners don't have mental health issues over Maps. Those of use that have actually used the new Maps find the app to be very useful.
  • Reply 33 of 90
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    This doesn't really surprise me. Most early adopters of iPhones, the ones who stand in lines overnight to buy them, are Apple enthusiasts who are already using Apple products in every facet of their lives. They most likely have Apple TVs, and have long since purchased Bluetooth and AirPlay accessories. Except to charge my iPhone, I haven't plugged it into a dedicated dock in months. I stream all video and audio output via AirPlay and Bluetooth accessories. I don't even plug headphones into it, and I synch it to iTunes wirelessly. And Apple knows this. The corporate people who depend on video output and already have 30-pin dock connectors for presentation purposes, etc. will be some of the last to upgrade their phones anyway ... By which time Apple will have their new native Lightning HDMI & VGA connectors available. And Apple knows this. For the early adopters who need these services, Apple is betting that it is an opportunity to introduce users to Apple TV. The only people this is really going to effect immediately are users with high-end integrated automobile systems, like BMW and Mercedes. It remains to be seen whether Apple's recently shipping adapter will work with those systems, though in the interim it's definitely been an inconvenience.
  • Reply 34 of 90
    If you don't need the GPS feature then the phone isn't really broken. Better to disable it and go from there then to go through all the trouble of swapping units.

Personally I consider GPS important but have almost zero need for Bluetooth. If Bluetooth was to break tomorrow I wouldn't even bother fixing the problem. To put it bluntly it is a waste of resources to fix things you don't need.
    Well, if the music app wasn't working properly on my iPhone I wouldn't notice it either, since I rarely use it to listen to music. I would even go as far as to state that many people barely use their iPhones for anything other than they'd otherwise use dumb phones, especially in the US, where the iPhone is heavily subsidized. Ask the same question to people buying an unlocked version from Aple and I bet your findings will be a lot different.
    For instance, I told a friend of mine who was complaining about the iPhone 4S' battery problems to disable Location Services (because the problem was caused by a defective GPS unit) temporarily and ask for a replacement, and she was all happy about the former solving her problem because she didn't care about the latter, so a year later she's still using a defective iPhone 4S. Might be anecdotal, but doesn't go far from most people's mentality.
  • Reply 35 of 90

I agree that most of these 'issues' are only issues to the tech press and the fans / haters.

I've always used my sister as a 'barometer' to test what the non-techy people think. She has my old iPhone 4. Last week I asked her if she had upgraded to iOS 6. She had - she upgraded within 2 days of it being released, because it popped up in iTunes as available. I asked if she heard of or was impacted by the 'Maps issue'. She had not heard of it, was not affected by it, and when I told her about the big brouhaha in the tech press, her response was "If it wasn't maps, they'd find something else to turn into This Year's Big Deal."

Of course, she's only one person. But she's in the right demographic, and even as a non-techy she knows enough to take these tech press 'problems' with a grain of salt.

Personally, I've already said, the new maps app is good enough for me. Problem is, you don't get big pageviews with headlines like "new apple offering satisfies most" or "things are pretty ok for iphone". (well maybe once, but you couldn't run them every flippin' day like they do with the 'zomg apple crisis!' headlines.)

Cheers!

• Reply 36 of 90
    maecvsmaecvs Posts: 129member

Quote:

Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

Do American carriers have some kind of reservation system in place for getting an iPhone? My friend was put in queue two and a half weeks ago at #2000+ and only now is he at #10 with Rogers in Canada. He's in Toronto so I'd figure we have more people wanting to buy than anywhere else in the country (you know, centre of the universe and all). So are people getting their phones some other way, or is supply actually that problematic? Like the article says the demand should be there, ordering now puts you at 6000 in queue I've heard, but I've only seen a few out in public as well.

Your friend might do well to try a Rogers kiosk. If he hasn't done so already. The day after I activated my iPhone 5 on Fido, I received an e-mail from them offering a $50 discount to go on a waiting list.......  

• Reply 37 of 90
    Frankly the rest of the world isn't important. The economy in Europe is Ina terrible state, the Middle East is about to start WW3, the rest of the Americas south of the US have neve gotten their act together, considering all of this you should understand why Apple is focused on the US and Asia.

Beyond all of that I've yet to hear a good explanation from anybody as to what is wrong with Maps! It works well without the clutter and spying of Googles solution.
  • Reply 38 of 90
    That lightening connector isn't an issue, until you need to replace one you lost. Those things are almost impossible to find. Luckily you can use Maps (if you have any battery left) to find an Apple, AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint store to see if they have any.
  • Reply 39 of 90
    crawdad62 wrote: »
    While I agree the US market isn't the end all be all but that's not what this article is about. It's about the problems with Maps (here in the US or elsewhere) and the new dock connector affecting sales. It didn't/doesn't.

In the US, where iPhones are heavily subsidized, most of the sales up to this moment were preorders, and for which everything is designed to work. That's precisely my point. Why poll the US market when things are known to target that first?
  • Reply 40 of 90
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Frankly the rest of the world isn't important. The economy in Europe is Ina terrible state, the Middle East is about to start WW3, the rest of the Americas south of the US have neve gotten their act together, considering all of this you should understand why Apple is focused on the US and Asia.

I can understand Apple focusing on the US market; I can NOT understand quality surveys focusing on the US market. Why do you people insist on missing the point?