iOS 6 Maps, Lightning connector have no effect on iPhone 5 demand, survey finds

Comments

• Reply 41 of 90
    maecvsmaecvs Posts: 129member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

Well, if the music app wasn't working properly on my iPhone I wouldn't notice it either, since I rarely use it to listen to music. I would even go as far as to state that many people barely use their iPhones for anything other than they'd otherwise use dumb phones, especially in the US, where the iPhone is heavily subsidized. Ask the same question to people buying an unlocked version from Aple and I bet your findings will be a lot different.

For instance, I told a friend of mine who was complaining about the iPhone 4S' battery problems to disable Location Services (because the problem was caused by a defective GPS unit) temporarily and ask for a replacement, and she was all happy about the former solving her problem because she didn't care about the latter, so a year later she's still using a defective iPhone 4S. Might be anecdotal, but doesn't go far from most people's mentality.

I use the iPod app in my iPhone every day, as well as e-mail, contacts, so much more. I was listening to the baseball game on "WunderRadio" yesterday. Reading up on the Veep debate on the USA today app, were I tweeted in the twitter link the the app the story about the giant eyeball washing up on shore. Used "Twitterrific" to view my tweet feeds. Used Siri to make reminders, get the weather outlook for the week, updated a schedule on my Calendar, punched in and out of work on "Hours Tracker", and monitored all the play-off games on "Sportacular". That was just yesterday. I do the same things like that every day on my iPhone. Oh yeah, I made some phone call as well. image

• Reply 42 of 90
    maecvs wrote: »
    I use the iPod app in my iPhone every day, as well as e-mail, contacts, so much more. I was listening to the baseball game on "WunderRadio" yesterday. Reading up on the Veep debate on the USA today app, were I tweeted in the twitter link the the app the story about the giant eyeball washing up on shore. Used "Twitterrific" to view my tweet feeds. Used Siri to make reminders, get the weather outlook for the week, updated a schedule on my Calendar, punched in and out of work on "Hours Tracker", and monitored all the play-off games on "Sportacular". That was just yesterday. I do the same things like that every day on my iPhone. Oh yeah, I made some phone call as well. ;)

Point? I use my iPhone to make calls, send text messages, use the GPS, and sometimes test apps in development. My anecdotal evidence contradicts yours, and I'm a geek.
  • Reply 43 of 90

But, but, but . . . Apple Maps suuuucccks . . . and, and, and, nobody's supposed to buy the iPhone or upgrade iOS because, because, because . . . Apple Maps suuuccks!

. . . and, and, and, nobody's going to want to spend money for a new cable or adapter, and, and, and,  MOMMMMYYY!!!!

• Reply 44 of 90
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

The dates aren't when the surveys were taken, the dates are when the "issues" blew up.

I've found that most of the issues we read online, aren't issues at all to most everyone else. I've also noticed issues with Apple products are usually brought up by those who do not own the device. Possibly in some weird attempt to justify their decision to not buy Apple and keep them from "ruling the world." Yes, I've actually had people say that to me. LOL

I agree that most "issues" are not even known to public and grown out of proportion or simply made up by stupid people.

But I still think that someone that doesn't know anything about the new maps, and who has used at least once google maps to find something like a restaurant, will quickly notice that they are inadequate for the moment.

• Reply 45 of 90
    Arguably, the two most important considerations, though not reported by Apple Insider, is that:

"Perhaps most importantly, when we asked consumers who said they are [B][I]Unlikely to buy[/I][/B] the iPhone 5 to tell us the reason why, [B][I]0% cited the Lightning adapter[/I][/B]." (1)

"When we asked consumers who said they were unlikely to buy the iPhone 5 to tell us the reason why, 61% said they were [I][B]unlikely to buy[/B][/I] it because there was No Need – Their Current Cell Phone is Sufficient. In contrast, [I][B]0% said it was because of Reported Problems With Apple Maps[/B][/I]." (1)

Furthermore, as compared to Antennagate, Mapgate is much less an issue which is an interesting note since even during Antennagate with "2.1% projected to have a non- accident malfunction in the first 12 months." (2)

" In that 2010 ChangeWave survey, 7% of new iPhone 4 owners had reported the antenna/ reception issue was a Very Big Problem and 14% Somewhat of a Problem. Another two-thirds (64%) reported they Hadn't Experienced any Problem..." (1)

"To gauge the impact of the Apple Maps issue, we asked iPhone 5 and other iOS 6 users if they had experienced a problem with Apple Maps." (1)

"Nine-in-ten users (90%) reported it was No Problem at All or they Haven’t Experienced Any Problem, while 3% characterized it as a Very Big Problem and 6% said it was Somewhat of a Problem." (1)

"...In comparison to the iPhone 4 Antenna/Reception issue, the current Apple Maps issue is of marginal concern to iPhone 5/iOS 6 users. Simply put, Apple Maps is not considered a problem by the overwhelming majority of users..." (1)

1. No author given. Published 12 October 2012. [URL=http://www.changewaveresearch.com]Apple Maps Issue Irrelevant as Massive iPhone 5 Buying Continues; Samsung By Far Best Positioned to Gain from Windows Phone 8[/URL]. [I]451 Research/ChangeWave Research[/I]. Retrieved 12 October 2012.

2. Austin Sands and Vince Tseng. Published 3 November 2010. [URL=http://www.squaretrade.com/cell-phone-comparison-study-nov-10]Smart Phone reliability: Apple iPhones with fewest failures, and major Android manufacturers not far behind.[/URL] [I]Square Trade[/I]. Retrieved 12 October 2012.

The truth is that most manufacturers make cheap, disposable "smartphones" and have massive marketing campaigns to sell their products. This includes paying armies of bloggers and posters to aggressively attack Apple proponents. No one who reviews the facts objectively can conclude otherwise.

Apple iPhone is simply:

the best designed,
    the most desirable,
    the most satisfying,
    the most reliable, and
    the most secure smartphone
  • Reply 46 of 90
    maecvsmaecvs Posts: 129member

Quote:

Point? I use my iPhone to make calls, send text messages, use the GPS, and sometimes test apps in development. My anecdotal evidence contradicts yours, and I'm a geek.

My point is I use iPhone for 50 different apps, e-mail, the phone, the calendar, maps, notes, the calculator, the clock, the weather, Siri, reminders, iBooks, the GPS, safari, music, the camera, photos,and videos.  Which does contract your evidence.  

• Reply 47 of 90
    maecvs wrote: »
    My point is I use iPhone for 50 different apps, e-mail, the phone, the calendar, maps, notes, the calculator, the clock, the weather, Siri, reminders, iBooks, the GPS, safari, music, the camera, photos,and videos.  Which does contract your evidence.

At most it would contradict my claim, because my evidence was anecdotal (and so is yours). Besides, by posting that, you are actually validating the point that people buy iPhones for a lot of different reasons, so one sucky feature in there that they don't particularly care about is only evidence that people don't care about that feature, not that the feature doesn't have issues, which is what this thread aims to claim. Apple Maps not affecting sales is not related to Apple Maps not having problems but rather to people not caring about the GPS on their phone at all. If you asked me whether the Music app has caused me problems, I'd tell you it hasn't, but my answer would stem from the fact that I never use it, not from the quality of the app.
  • Reply 48 of 90
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Obviously. Once again, anti-Apple sensationalist bullshit hysteria on the internet shows that it has no relation to reality. The connector is a massive improvement, and for MOST people, maps works fine. If not, there's alternatives until it improves. The phone is superior to what came before it in every single way. The hand-wringing about the connector is just click-whoring, desperate to find something to bitch about. Yeah, old accessories might not work. Deal with it. Shit changes and improves. We move on. If it was up to these people we'd still have every ancient port ever made history gracing our devices. 

• Reply 49 of 90
    slurpy wrote: »
    Obviously. Once again, anti-Apple sensationalist bullshit hysteria on the internet shows that it has no relation to reality. The connector is a massive improvement, and for MOST people, maps works fine. If not, there's alternatives until it improves. The phone is superior to what came before it in every single way. The hand-wringing about the connector is just click-whoring, desperate to find something to bitch about. Yeah, old accessories might not work. Deal with it. Shit changes and improves. We move on. If it was up to these people we'd still have every ancient port ever made history gracing our devices. 

How's the connector a "massive" improvement when it has less functionality?
  • Reply 50 of 90
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

it just shows that most buyer are just sheep, beginning lead around.

You have a whole herd saying the sky is falling since this is or that is horrible wrong with the phone and really have no clue or do not understand it does not really matter but they are repeating what others are saying. Then they have the other herd of sheep who have no clue there are any issue and will buy because that is what the person in front of them is doing.

• Reply 51 of 90

• Reply 52 of 90
    vaelian wrote: »

LL

Your fault for allowing people to spread nonsense here and contributing to it yourself.
  • Reply 53 of 90

Your fault for allowing people to spread nonsense…

Yes, Apple releasing a new connector that will, despite all whining, supersede the previous connector is "my fault".

I'm not getting into it a second time. Feel free to lie to a new group of people.

• Reply 54 of 90
    Apple is doomed.™

No -Just damned.
  • Reply 55 of 90
    vaelian wrote: »
    Your fault for allowing people to spread nonsense…

Yes, Apple releasing a new connector that will, despite all whining, supersede the previous connector is "my fault".

I'm not getting into it a second time. Feel free to lie to a new group of people.

Cat's out of the cage now, the link to the previous thread has been posted.
  • Reply 56 of 90
    steven n. wrote: »

The map issues are way overblown.

Not if your walking. Or biking.
  • Reply 57 of 90

Cat's out of the cage now, the link to the previous thread has been posted.

What is your problem? There's nothing in that post that helps your case in any respect. 

Give a past example of a port that designed to supplant another but was then discontinued in favor of the old one because of "reduced functionality", even if there was reduced functionality. Or even an example of people wanting an old port after its obsolescence that didn't just keep using that port until it was too stupid or impractical to keep using it. 

• Reply 58 of 90
    slurpy wrote: »

How is it superior in "every single way" if it knicks, chips and dents so much more easily than its predecessor ? It can't even be manufactured properly on schedule due its aluminum encasing problems.
  • Reply 59 of 90
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSheldon View Post

How is it superior in "every single way" if it knicks, chips and dents so much more easily than its predecessor ? It can't even be manufactured properly on schedule due its aluminum encasing problems.

It's a non-issue. All iPhones have probably been the most scratch-prone devices in the industry. The important thing is to ship it to the customer in perfect condition. Once that last bit is seen to, you'll see the same consumer satisfaction ratings for the iPhone 5 that you saw for all other iPhones that have ever existed. 

• Reply 60 of 90
    rfhjrrfhjr Posts: 44member
    The new dock is a huge improvement, allowing for faster data transfer speeds. Those wishing to cling to the old technology are mistaken.