Apple reaches license agreement for Swiss rail clock design

Comments

• Reply 61 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

I love that watch... Anybody have a link to buy?

You can look at all of the Mondaine watches here --

http://www.mondaine.com/mondaine-watches/display_family/3

They start out around $140 and up.

Apple also appropriated another design in the 1990s.

Which uses elements of Alain Silberstein's watches.

If you like Mondaine watches (and have some money) also look into Nomos Glashütte watches

• Reply 62 of 81
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

...  Also, and I'm not trying to be argumentative here, if you come across someone who *cannot* read an analogue clock, then I say that is because they are dumb, or there has been a serious failing in their education.  ...

Generally, (because I am ancient myself), I agree with this sort of reasoning, but speaking as someone who has trouble reading analogue clocks themselves, I'm also a bit insulted.  

I *can* read an analogue clock, but I find it awkward and basically lost the habit after getting used to digital readouts in the early 70's.  I even have (one) analogue clock at home, but to read it you have to look at it, think about what numbers it's pointing to, then "say the words" in your head to yourself that it's "quarter to five" or "just after quarter to six" or whatever.  There's not much point in doing that when you can have a clock that just displays the time in numbers. 

With a digital clock you just have to read the dial.  The time is what it says, and what it says is the time. 

Just as practically no one uses ordinals like 28th or 3rd, or 2nd now, and just as the use of "12 noon" and "12 midnight" has followed "thee" and "thine" into history, analogue clocks will go the same way.  They aren't efficient, and yes, they require a bit of deciphering for the average young person today, especially the ones with no numbers or only one number etc.  One day soon they will be looked at the same way as sundials are now.  As a quaint, old-timey, way of telling the time that isn't very accurate but makes a nice decorative display.  

• Reply 63 of 81

With the open and free Google mindset, we should decry the railroad's claim; do they think they own a patent on rounded clocks?

• Reply 64 of 81

I think it's time to wind up this thread.

• Reply 65 of 81

I wish people would watch it with the puns.  I'm starting to get ticked off.

• Reply 66 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by binglyboop View Post

naaah

time to hand out an award - 

• Reply 67 of 81
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    mazda 3s wrote: »
    Hyperbole much? These two look NOTHING alike?

LL

well, it's not like one's a dead ringer of the other ...
  • Reply 68 of 81

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

naaah

time to hand out an award - 

Please tell me that these are also puns. It's not nearly time for this thread to clock out.

• Reply 69 of 81
    Why would someone pay money for that specific look? Sorry, I don't get it.
  • Reply 70 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I wish people would watch it with the puns. I'm starting to get ticked off.

Please tell me that these are also puns. It's not nearly time for this thread to clock out.

You missed one of mine.  ;)

• Reply 71 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Hyperbole much? These two look NOTHING alike?

well, it's not like one's a dead ringer of the other ...

If you take the time to actually LOOK at the two faces, numerous differences in detail can be seen. Most people see at a basic, symbolic, level. For them, both faces have a white background, heavy ticks for hours and light ticks for minutes. Both hour hands are shorter than the minute hands and the seconds hands are thin and red with a round head on them. To a symbolic see-r both faces are therefore the same. BUT, in the Apple face, all the heavy black lines are the same width: hour ticks, hour and minute hands. When minute and hour hands overlap, you momentarily see only the minute hand. All three hands have the same length from center on their short ends. The diameter of the red dot at the center point of the second hand is the same dimension as the width of the hour and minute hands, which creates visually weak points on the hands at the center point. In the original face, the hour and minute hands are tapered, adding weight at the center, where it is expected based on subliminal knowledge of how natural objects are formed. The hour ticks are narrower than the minute hand, which is in turn narrower than the hour hand. If you squint and blur the images, the hour hand is the most prominent object in the composition due to its weight and contrast with the white background, the minute hand is next most prominent, followed closely by the hour tick marks. I would say the second hand is next, about equal with the second tick marks, but it could be argued that it's color makes it the only member of the second of two groups, namely; Group 1: Things that are black, and Group 2: Things that are red. Making it possible for people to visually process the black things and the red things simultaneously and easily choose which one to focus on. I would say the single most prominent similarity between the two faces is the red second hand.

When you actually pay attention to the shapes and overall composition, the two faces are only similar at first glance. Apple's attention to detail is legendary. I'm surprised that, given the fact that refined details on a virtual face do not involve extra costs that might constrain a physical clock face, they weren't done here.
  • Reply 72 of 81

You missed one of mine.  ;)

SKOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH. That one hurt.

• Reply 73 of 81
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Can you all quit it with these lame second hand jokes? Geez. 

Anyway, my time's up. Gotta skidaddle. In fact I'm late.

• Reply 74 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by apersona View Post

When you actually pay attention to the shapes and overall composition, the two faces are only similar at first glance.

This sounds like the arguments for why Samsung didn't copy Apple.  Why does Apple get a pass from you on this?  Apple sure doesn't give itself a pass, once it was brought to their attention.

• Reply 75 of 81
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    apersona wrote: »
    <br style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:'lucida grande', verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:normal;background-color:rgb(226,225,225);">
    <span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:'lucida grande', verdana, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:normal;background-color:rgb(226,225,225);">well, it's not like one's a dead ringer of the other ...</span>

If you take the time to actually LOOK at the two faces, numerous differences in detail can be seen. Most people see at a basic, symbolic, level. For them, both faces have a white background, heavy ticks for hours and light ticks for minutes. Both hour hands are shorter than the minute hands and the seconds hands are thin and red with a round head on them. To a symbolic see-r both faces are therefore the same. BUT, in the Apple face, all the heavy black lines are the same width: hour ticks, hour and minute hands.

[a whole bunch of text removed]

sorry, my comment was in keeping with the other groaner puns here ... but thanks for the comparison notes.
  • Reply 76 of 81
    You steal you pay the price. Apple got caught, so they have to pay.
  • Reply 77 of 81
    Yes, the clock was ticking.
  • Reply 78 of 81
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

What are you talking about? If Apple was a clock manufacturer, and went to court claiming the design was not a copy, but was inspired by the weather, or some such... and there were lots of side by side design comparisons found in Jony Ive's desk with meeting minutes describing discussion of the Swiss Rail Clock... you might have a point. I think you are HUGELY out to lunch, here.

You are missing the point here. 

Apple copied and got caught doing it. By settling, they've basically agreed that they did indeed copy, which goes against the very thing that Apple is accusing Samsung of "slavishly copying" their design. 

Isnt that quite QUITE an ironic thing to say? 

It's like telling others not to be a bully when you yourself just stole the little kid's lunch money no less than 10 minutes ago. 

Therefore, Apple is basically hiding under the veil of "protection of their IP" mantra to stiffle competition at the throat. 

The California Appeals court just gave Judge Koh the ultimate slap in the face by saying that she "abused" her discretion and the court was "at best incorrect". 

"At best"...lol.

That means that the same appeals court will also look with a skeptical eye on the court case that was appealed by Samsung. It already leaves a bad taste on their pallate. Not good. lol 

Just watch as the main court case will either be retrialed or "at best" (appeals court's favorite expression) be thrown out. 

The entire objective of the lawsuit was to demonstrate to other companies of how serious Apple was about its so called "IP". However, its looking more and more like that its only helping their competitors win the spotlight through all these skirmishes at the same time getting all the negative flack for being the bully in it all. How ironic x2. 

• Reply 79 of 81

Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Apple copied and got caught doing it.

Your continued belief that what happened her is in any way similar to what Samsung did shows that you have no idea what you're talking about… and that you don't care.
  • Reply 80 of 81

Quote:

Your continued belief that what happened her is in any way similar to what Samsung did shows that you have no idea what you're talking about… and that you don't care.

It's that same one-track mindset that has people claiming that the SBB clock is so amazingly different than the Apple one.  Both sides have their fanboys and apologists and it keeps baffling people who wonder why anyone has to pick a "side" on something like a consumer electronics product.  XD