Scam mail alledgedly from Apple

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

This is what I just received. Sender then requests password information. Your old one, and then a new one. I have xxxed out my email address. The rest is copied and pasted. I don't have an iPhone 4 which gave it away. Also the their email addresses looked phony. How do I contact Apple and tell them? TYA

Subject: Your Apple ID was used to sign in to iMessage, and   FaceTime on an iPhone 4

Date: October 13, 2012 11:40:10 AM PDT

To: Wendy Minot <wminotxxxxx>

Dear Wendy,

Your Apple ID (wminotxxxxxx) was used to sign in to iMessage, and FaceTime on an iPhone 4 named “Wendy Minot’s iPhone”.

If you have not recently set up an iPhone with your Apple ID, then you should change your Apple ID password. Learn more.

Privacy Policy

Copyright 2012 Apple Inc. 1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA 95014 - All Rights Reserved.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    wminot wrote: »
    This is what I just received. Sender then requests password information. Your old one, and then a new one. I have xxxed out my email address. The rest is copied and pasted. I don't have an iPhone 4 which gave it away. Also the their email addresses looked phony.

That's a genuine Apple email. A scam email would normally not include your full name. [email protected] is an Apple address. You can check if any other links in the email go to non-Apple destinations.

If your iPhone is called "Wendy Minot's iPhone" and you recently logged into icloud e.g after upgrading to iOS6, it might have picked up your phone model wrong. What model of iPhone do you have?
  • Reply 2 of 4

Quote:

Originally Posted by wminot View Post

This is what I just received. Sender then requests password information. Your old one, and then a new one. I have xxxed out my email address. The rest is copied and pasted. I don't have an iPhone 4 which gave it away. Also the their email addresses looked phony. How do I contact Apple and tell them? TYA

Subject: Your Apple ID was used to sign in to iMessage, and   FaceTime on an iPhone 4

Date: October 13, 2012 11:40:10 AM PDT

To: Wendy Minot <wminotxxxxx>

Dear Wendy,

Your Apple ID (wminotxxxxxx) was used to sign in to iMessage, and FaceTime on an iPhone 4 named “Wendy Minot’s iPhone”.

If you have not recently set up an iPhone with your Apple ID, then you should change your Apple ID password. Learn more.

Privacy Policy

Copyright 2012 Apple Inc. 1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA 95014 - All Rights Reserved.

I received the same scam! and just ignored it

• Reply 3 of 4

Thank you both for helping me out. I did just upgrade to OS6, and also put a lot of music in cloud to get more space. I think I'll check out the email again as I'm now having trouble with Apple password.

• Reply 4 of 4
    wminot wrote: »
    Thank you both for helping me out. I did just upgrade to OS6, and also put a lot of music in cloud to get more space. I think I'll check out the email again as I'm now having trouble with Apple password.

welcome!