Airport Express/AirTunes cutting out

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My bedroom Airport Express N is about 20ft from my Mini and N router but the audio cuts out sometimes as often as every 2.5 mins for as much as 10 seconds. Sometimes it'll go for about 30 mins, but then drop out randomly.

I'm up to date on all my software/OS 10.6.6, Firmware 7.5.2

I happens whether I'm using AirPlay, or Airfoil.

Are there any solutions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Most likely interference.

Mine does the same thing (AirTunes cutting out) when the microwave is running. Some cordless phones use the same frequencies and could cause similar problems.

If you live in an apartment, it could easily be a neighbors oven or phone causing your problems.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Downgrade your firmware to 7.3.2 - really.

I'm running 2 N expresses on that with an older G express in a network.

Very stable - when i upgraded to 7.4.2 it all turned to crapola.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonfj View Post

My bedroom Airport Express N is about 20ft from my Mini and N router but the audio cuts out sometimes as often as every 2.5 mins for as much as 10 seconds. Sometimes it'll go for about 30 mins, but then drop out randomly.

Are there any solutions?

Had similar cut out problems. System seems to work just fine using "Airfoil". I have no financial interest in this product.

Andy
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasonfj View Post

Are there any solutions?

Fixed mine and others

Change your IPv6 settings In order to change this setting, open System Preferences then the Network pane and click on your currently used interface (Ethernet, AirPort, etc.). Click on the TCP/IP settings for the interface -- at the bottom if you see a button which says 'Configure IPv6...' click it make the setting "Off." Press the Apply Now button.
  • Reply 5 of 7

So I'm running 10.7.4 and I'm having airtunes drop... I tried to turn off IPV6 but in the TCP/IP setting it doesn't allow you to turn IPV6 off... Suggestions?

• Reply 6 of 7

In Mountain Lion your options are "Automatically", "Manually" or "Local-link Only". I chose "Local-link Only", it's only been about 15 minutes, but I haven't had a hiccup yet. Before I made the switch it was cutting out every couple minutes. I'll let you know if I have any issues. But so far so good!

• Reply 7 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by etn3000 View Post

In Mountain Lion your options are "Automatically", "Manually" or "Local-link Only". I chose "Local-link Only", it's only been about 15 minutes, but I haven't had a hiccup yet. Before I made the switch it was cutting out every couple minutes. I'll let you know if I have any issues. But so far so good!

Thanks for the info