Retailer purports to show 'iPad mini' in Wi-Fi, cellular models priced from 250-650 euros

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
The internal inventory system of a German electronics retailer shows Apple's so-called "iPad mini" available in 16 different models, beginning at 250 euros and going as high as 650 euros.

Mini

The list of "iPad mini" models was reportedly captured from Media Markt, and was published on Sunday by Mobile Geeks. It shows an entry-level, Wi-Fi-only iPad mini model with 8 gigabytes of capacity available for 249 euros, which would be about $320 U.S.

However, the exchange rates for the rumored prices are likely not an indication of how much Apple's smaller iPad would cost in the U.S. For example, the iPad 2 sells for $399 in the U.S., and 399 euros overseas, while the new iPad with Retina display starts at $499 in the U.S., while it sells for 479 euros abroad.

The inventory list suggests that Apple plans to make its 7.85-inch iPad available in a large number of models to hit various price points. Beyond the entry-level model, the device is show in capacities of 16, 32, and 64 gigabytes, all with and without cellular connectivity.

At the high end, the iPad mini is rumored to cost 649 euros for a 64-gigabyte model with cellular data connectivity. Between the Wi-Fi-only and cellular models, there are also price point overlaps. For example, an 8-gigabyte iPad mini with cellular data costs the same as a 16-gigabyte iPad mini with Wi-Fi alone.

Apple is rumored to hold a media event to unveil its smaller, less expensive iPad on Oct. 23. If that date proves true, it's expected that invitations for the event would be sent out a week ahead on this Tuesday, Oct. 16.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 206
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

However, the exchange rates for the rumored prices are likely not an indication of how much Apple's smaller iPad would cost in the U.S. For example, the iPad 2 sells for $399 in the U.S., and 399 euros overseas, while the new iPad with Retina display starts at $499 in the U.S., while it sells for 479 euros abroad.

VAT, which the Euros are so fond of, also affects their pricing.

• Reply 2 of 206
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    If this is true and it probably is, it's a stoke of unexpected genius and will catch apple's competitors utterly by surprise. Apple, since jobs, has eschewed the 'many model' concept.

Many people puzzled over how Apple could price the mini in the light of the touch, iphone and ipads.

This not only solves the pricing problem but in a stroke it lays out a challenge to the others who have made a living copying Apple's innovations, gives options to both savvy and naive users who are solely interested in price and probably most clever of all is the ability of Apple to actually test this new model of 'many models' in an object that is both new and not new.

iPads are established yet the mini is a new market. I see this as a calculated experiment by Apple that will more than likely determine their future strategy.
  • Reply 3 of 206
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Competitors > Dip toe in water.

Apple > Cannonball 

• Reply 4 of 206
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    But but I thought it was going to be 8GB and wi-if only?;)
  • Reply 5 of 206

Apple can certainly do more with "worse" hardware, as has been shown countless times.

But can they do well enough to meet the needs, real and fanciful, of this market at $250 is the question.

• Reply 6 of 206
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

I'm surprised to see so many models. $249 is a great starting price - even if 8GB does fill up very fast.

• Reply 7 of 206
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Meaningless.

Some random retailer puts in some guesswork as a placeholder? Tells us nothing.
  • Reply 8 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Meaningless.

Some random retailer puts in some guesswork as a placeholder? Tells us nothing.

Why would a retailer intentionally trash their database with meaningless allocated item numbers on pure speculation?

• Reply 9 of 206
    8 hardware configurations, each in black or white.

Seems like a lot; we'll just have to wait and see.
  • Reply 10 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by HCrefugee View Post

8 hardware configurations, each in black or white.

Seems like a lot; we'll just have to wait and see.

16 GB, 32 GB, 64 GB, Verizon LTE, AT&T LTE, Sprint LTE, T-Mobile HSPA+, WiFi.

• Reply 11 of 206
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,178member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Competitors > Dip toe in water.

Apple > Cannonball 

If this at all accurate it looks more like Apple isn't yet certain on what the market is for an iPad Mini, which sounds very un-Apple-like on the surface. The consumer base price has already been established by other players, in the range of $200-250. Apple has the luxury of going higher of course, but perhaps it's not clear to Apple what buyers will be looking for and thus willing to spend, so toss 'em all out and see what sticks? Doesn't sound right to me personally.

I'll be a little surprised to see Apple offer this in so many variations, but Apple is certainly in the position of taking a minor risk on multiple builds. For less well-heeled companies it might be a major risk in building multiple variations (altho I suppose that's what Samsung's been doing on an even larger scale)

• Reply 12 of 206
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

An 8 GB iPad Mini?  I thought Apple was trying to get away from low capacity devices?

• Reply 13 of 206

Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

Verizon LTE, AT&T LTE, Sprint LTE, T-Mobile HSPA+, WiFi.

But they only need two models to fill all LTE bands.

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

An 8 GB iPad Mini?  I thought Apple was trying to get away from low capacity devices?

They just want you to buy the regular iPad. image

• Reply 14 of 206

I'm not convinced 8GB will cut it for many people (even the iPod Nano is 16GB). Particularly if they market it for playing videos - though perhaps if they focus on not-too-enhanced eBooks it would work ok?

The pricing is interesting. I'm going to presume the Euro-US$ conversion is 1:1.... I think the $250 start point makes sense.... but it's a BIG assumption

At 16GB:

- iPod Touch 4th Gen is $199, 

- iPad Mini is $349

- iPad 2nd Gen is $399

At 32GB without cellular:

- iPod Touch is $299

- iPad Mini is $449 (note non retina display)

- iPad is $600

At 64GB with cellular:

- iPod Touch doesn't do cellular ($399 without).

- iPhone outright ... perceived $399, but really about $900?? (consumers don't realise the price due to contracts in US)

- iPad Mini is $649

- iPad is $829

It would seem to position well - though the number of models makes comparison difficult.

edit: certainly room in their positioning to dump the 8GB and make everything else $50 cheaper... but there may not be profit in that!?

• Reply 15 of 206
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    $250 for 8GB and wi-if only? Better be retina.
  • Reply 16 of 206

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Keep dreaming.

• Reply 17 of 206

Starting at $249 (which is what it will now be in the US)?! Genius.

I feel very badly for the Androiders all of whom must be starting to have fits right about now...... can't wait to see Bezo's official reaction when he gets the news. image

• Reply 18 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

After doing some research this morning on the IGZO technology, I think this is what we will see deployed here. Sharp was demoing some 217 ppi in Berlin.

• Reply 19 of 206
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,178member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Offering up a non-expandable 8GB model to show they can compete with Google and Amazon even on price, but planning around most buyers paying a good premium for increasing storage to something more reasonable? A $100 upcharge for a relatively inexpensive component cost on another 8GB of storage is where the money is. Competitors are getting what, $50 or so for the same bump?

• Reply 20 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

... but perhaps it's not clear to Apple what buyers will be looking for and thus willing to spend, so toss 'em all out and see what sticks? 

Nonsense. There'll be millions like me who'll happily plonk down $649 for the 64GB/wireless version.

And similarly for every price point in-between.

And people like you will be proved wrong yet again.

-------------------------------------

PS: GO Felix Baumgartner! Amazing!!