Retailer purports to show 'iPad mini' in Wi-Fi, cellular models priced from 250-650 euros

Comments

• Reply 61 of 206

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

It'll be discontinued within a year.

Hmm. What say an informal bet? I think it'll be out faster than the 4GB iPhone, breaking the record for most quickly discontinued Apple product.

• Reply 62 of 206
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I think 8GB at $299 is a ripoff. 

You're entitled to think that of course. I do think that it will sell quite well (and so will the other, higher models), so there will obviously be many people out there who have a differing opinion, and they won't have any problems with forking their cash over to Apple.

• Reply 63 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Wrong.

Personally, I wouldn't buy an 8GB iPad, as I already own a shit load of apps (probably over 100 GB), but for certain people (people who are on a budget, or maybe somebody buying an iPad for their kids), 8 GB is doable.

You could load it up with Netflix, HBO GO, Max GO and Amazon player, and have instant access to thousands and thousands of movies and series. Those apps take up almost no space at all. 

8 GB is fully doable for many people. That means people who do not need to store a ton of media on their device and people who rely a lot on streaming content, plus people who are on a budget who wish to get their paws on an iPad for as cheap as possible.

I'd rather have a 4 GB iPad instead of a 64 GB Android tablet.

This is exactly right.  8GB is not meant for the average AppleInsider forum member (I would imagine an iPad owned by someone in this group is at least 32GB and probably more likely 64GB).  It's for their kids or it's entry level into the iOS ecosystem for the budget conscious.

• Reply 64 of 206
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    The way the iPad was laughed out of the room for trying to compete with tablets with a "real" OS? The way the iPhone was laughed out of the room for trying to compete with smartphones with "real" keyboards?
    What is wrong with hoping for en entry point of 16GB at $299. Why is it so hard to believe the consumer might think 8GB at $299 is a ripoff? 8GB at $249 maybe, but $299? And especially if its using older tech?
  • Reply 65 of 206
    This is exactly right.  8GB is not meant for the average AppleInsider forum member (I would imagine an iPad owned by someone in this group is at least 32GB and probably more likely 64GB).  It's for their kids or it's entry level into the iOS ecosystem for the budget conscious.
    $299 isn't exactly budget conscious. If I was a parent then I'd get my kid(s) an iPod touch which gives you 4x the storage and a retina screen.
  • Reply 66 of 206

What is wrong with hoping for en entry point of 16GB at $299.

Nothing. Demanding it is another story.

Why is it so hard to believe the consumer might think 8GB at $299 is a ripoff?

Likely because Apple has done this many times in the past and people don't really care.

• Reply 67 of 206
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/153366/retailer-purports-to-show-ipad-mini-in-wi-fi-cellular-models-priced-from-250-650-euros/40#post_2211328"]
    You're entitled to think that of course. I do think that it will sell quite well (and so will the other, higher models), so there will obviously be many people out there who have a differing opinion, and they won't have any problems with forking their cash over to Apple.
    Well hopefully this is just bad information and the staring point will be 16GB. I do think 8GB these days is laughable.
  • Reply 68 of 206
    Nothing. Demanding it is another story.

Likely because Apple has done this many times in the past and people don't really care.
    And perhaps this will be one time where it doesn't work?
  • Reply 69 of 206
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I wish Jony Ive could get in front of the bean counters and/or marketing guys and strangle them. Offering an 8GB model just so the first price you see on a website is $249 is ridiculous. How the hell does Phil Schiller spin that?

A bit over the top here, aren't we? And later on in the thread, you jack yourself up to ranting about $299. What's up? Have you tried getting more sleep?
  • Reply 70 of 206

IF this is real, and IF it translates directly into dollars, I think the 249 for 8gb works out well.  That makes a good browser/basic apps/reader platform price, and a 50 dollar "premium" for Apple is good.  I'm a little surprised by a 100 dollar jump to 16gb though.

• Reply 71 of 206

Quote:

Well hopefully this is just bad information and the staring point will be 16GB. I do think 8GB these days is laughable.

The list looks legit, IMO. In a little more than a week, don't be too disappointed when Apple reveals an 8GB iPad Mini.

• Reply 72 of 206
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »
    What is wrong with hoping for en entry point of 16GB at $299. Why is it so hard to believe the consumer might think 8GB at $299 is a ripoff? 8GB at $249 maybe, but $299? And especially if its using older tech?

Nothing wrong with saying "I think they will offer 16GB as the minimum" but that isn't what you said now is it.
  • Reply 73 of 206
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    doctrsnoop wrote: »
    IF this is real, and IF it translates directly into dollars, I think the 249 for 8gb works out well.  That makes a good browser/basic apps/reader platform price, and a 50 dollar "premium" for Apple is good.  I'm a little surprised by a 100 dollar jump to 16gb though.

Agreed, 8G will be fine for millions of people. Maybe many millions.
  • Reply 74 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by doctrsnoop View Post

IF this is real, and IF it translates directly into dollars, I think the 249 for 8gb works out well. 

After further examination of that list, I think that we're looking at $299 USD for the entry level model.

250 Euros = 324 USD, so $249 is kind of unrealistic I think.

I'm betting that the iPad Mini will start at $299. That makes sense.

• Reply 75 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

After further examination of that list, I think that we're looking at $299 USD for the entry level model.

250 Euros = 324 USD, so $249 is kind of unrealistic I think.

I'm betting that the iPad Mini will start at $299. That makes sense.

But I think that Euro Price includes VAT.  Or some other factor.  I believe traditionally the Euro price listed tends to equal the dollar listed price, the way we in the US are used to seeing it.

• Reply 76 of 206

Quote:

$299 isn't exactly budget conscious. If I was a parent then I'd get my kid(s) an iPod touch which gives you 4x the storage and a retina screen.

As a parent I can confidently say that my kids don't notice the retina screen of the new iPhone vs the old iPhone, so I think that can be ignored. If it uses less battery by having that screen (and lower graphics processing) that's a plus for a smaller battery too.

The size is a different matter though. There are some huge kids games that my kids really enjoy. If I had 8 GB and if it was for my kids, I wouldn't give them any games over 100MB (they'd have them occasionally on our phone or iPad).

• Reply 77 of 206

Quote:

Originally Posted by doctrsnoop View Post

But I think that Euro Price includes VAT.  Or some other factor.  I believe traditionally the Euro price listed tends to equal the dollar listed price, the way we in the US are used to seeing it.

Yes, you're absolutely correct! I forgot about those crazy Euroheads and their ridiculous VAT.

The list is from Germany, and VAT in Germany is 19%.

So if we deduct roughly 20% from 250 euros, that leaves us with 200 euros, and 200 Euros converted to USD = $259, so yeah, I suppose that a price point of around $250 USD for the iPad Mini makes sense now.

• Reply 78 of 206
    Had to actually read all the posts through to see if people really missed it, and they did.

Did everyone forget about schools? They won't be storing music and videos that take up space. 8GB can store an awful lot of textbooks, even ones with illustrations. This is who I think the 8GB model is targeted to.
  • Reply 79 of 206

Quote:

So a 7.85 8GB device priced at $299 would be break even for Apple? I somehow doubt that.

My comment was far more general - focussed on the premise that they make much more profit on the bigger devices. They really don't need to profit from their cheapest devices to make a huge profit overall, and by pricing the lowest end products cheap it can lead to greater sales of the higher priced devices and profit overall. Plus they sell content.

Besides, don't be fooled into thinking the cost-of-parts breakdown of Apple devices reflect profit. They haven't factored in the R&D, production line setups, distribution networks, and the number of people paid directly or indirectly to make the device. Etc.  If you want to assume that they make back their R&D etc from the higher priced items, that's artificially changing how you divide the costs which isn't realistic anyway.

• Reply 80 of 206

And perhaps this will be one time where it doesn't work?

Perhaps, exactly. We'll see.