Photos allegedly show native Google Maps app for iOS

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77
    I don't use either and I am sure there are plenty of people here in the same boat. I, however use other third parties mapping and navigation apps that use one of these map back-ends so I think I just side with Apple and stick with the default map.
  • Reply 22 of 77
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfergenson View Post

Am I the only person who likes the new Maps app? It fixes a few of my pet peeves including the fact that the old app's route highlighter blocked the traffic. I've found it to be accurate every time I've tried to use it and it's much faster on my 3G iPhone 4.

Nope.  The new Maps is blindingly fast and after having used it for 2000+ miles navigating back roads across the US, I found it MORE accurate than Google's Maps.

Opps.

Google's data is more complete and it really has more data points and points of interest but Apple's database is not tiny and, hopefully, it will get better.

NOTE: There are some real issues with the New Apple Maps but they are not nearly as bad as all the people that have not actually used them are making them out to be.  Also note, in all my travels, I have once been in a city that could use Google's transit directions and they were wrong.  I find Street View worthless (and always have).

• Reply 23 of 77
    Yawn...
  • Reply 24 of 77
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member

Quote:

Originally Posted by djkikrome View Post

Apple's Maps are absolutely fine for me and I see no need for this. F off google. Vector baesd because of Apple once again paving the way. I don't like copy cat apps. Just like I don't buy copy cat phones. Apple all the way for me.

Google has had vector maps on Android for awhile now.

BTW: When is AI going to get rid of the POS editor for comments?  Why did they disable the right-click to get spelling mistakes fixed?  Paste as the only option?  WTF?

• Reply 25 of 77
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    marcel655 wrote: »
    For everyone NOT living in the USA this is pretty cool. Currently Apple maps puts my place of work about 120km in the wrong direction in Australia, and my second home in Germany is only rendered in black and white. I mean black and white serious WTF?
    I know I am only in the 3% of IOS user bothered by the shitty apple maps, but to me personally it matters enough to wait patiently to upgrade to IOS6 and am holding of on buying a IPhone5.
    In the meantime I'm starting to look around for alternatives to replace my apple gear, cause without maps I don't need an Iphone. Without an IPhone I need a different media player, so I don't need I-Tunes and without I-Tunes I don't need my Apple TV. And subsequently can also move my dev platform from OS-X back to Linux, and if I do that I don't need to pay premium for a mac book pro.
    All because of a simple stupid maps app. Crazy.

It must be really hard waking up each morning not knowing where you work or how to get there.

Did you forget the sarcasm tag or something?
  • Reply 26 of 77
    lmgslmgs Posts: 63member
    "marcel655 2012/10/14 11:24pm

In the meantime I'm starting to look around for alternatives to replace my apple gear, cause without maps I don't need an Iphone. Without an IPhone I need a different media player, so I don't need I-Tunes and without I-Tunes I don't need my Apple TV. And subsequently can also move my dev platform from OS-X back to Linux, and if I do that I don't need to pay premium for a mac book pro.

All because of a simple stupid maps app. Crazy."

This HAS to be a joke... Completely abandoning Apple because Version 1 of their Maps app isn't perfect??? There are other apps that will fill the gap until Apple gets Maps up to speed.. Or if you worship Google, just use Google Maps in your browser...

Oh, and Apple Maps has no problem finding my THIRD home... Of course it is rather large..%uD83D%uDE04
  • Reply 27 of 77
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    hill60 wrote: »
    It must be really hard waking up each morning not knowing where you work or how to get there.
    Did you forget the sarcasm tag or something?

I think it's a genuine comment. If Apple's maps can't find your most basic places of work, home and other close to home areas, how can you trust it for places where you have never been before. The maps app has been about 80% correct for me up here in Canada, which is good for the most part, but can sometimes be a pain if you have to cross check the map with another to make sure you are going to the right location. It will get better over time, no doubt. Just gotta be patient. (Don't go throwing everything away because of one app though, that's dumb)
  • Reply 28 of 77
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcel655 View Post

For everyone NOT living in the USA this is pretty cool. Currently Apple maps puts my place of work about 120km in the wrong direction in Australia, and my second home in Germany is only rendered in black and white. I mean black and white serious WTF?

I know I am only in the 3% of IOS user bothered by the shitty apple maps, but to me personally it matters enough to wait patiently to upgrade to IOS6 and am holding of on buying a IPhone5.

Good Ridden.

Notice it is mapS and it will blow goof map away in a year's time.

But do Apple needs a whiner?

• Reply 28 of 77
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Google Chrome...sorry, Safari...on iOS

Google Gmail update on iOS.

Google Maps on iOS...again, sometime.

Who.

Cares.

• Reply 30 of 77
    marcel655 wrote: »

Shouldn't you be posting this on /. where the planet's 250 Linux circle jerks will praise you for returning to lick Richard Stallman's bare, unwashed feet?
  • Reply 31 of 77
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    If this comes out I will be able to buy the iPhone 5. The Apple Maps app is useless.
  • Reply 32 of 77
    adamc wrote: »
    Good Ridden.

Notice it is mapS and it will blow goof map away in a year's time.

But do Apple needs a whiner?

It's got to be a complete fabrication. I mean, if you (and by that I mean Marcel655, not you) own and iPhone and an AppleTV, and you have content authorized in the iTunes ecosystem, and you do development on OS X, which implies you use a Mac, and your sole justification for leaving the entire Apple ecosystem is that iOS 6 maps draws your second home in Germany in black and white, because OMFG what an insult if your German castle is not rendered in every fucking color of the goddamned rainbow, twice. That's not just throwing the baby out with the bath water, it's also killing the baby's mother and father for conceiving the baby, destroying the bathtub that held the bath water, and going to war with the goddamned nation where the baby was taking the aforementioned bath.
  • Reply 33 of 77
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    gtr wrote: »
    Google Chrome...sorry, Safari...on iOS

Google Gmail update on iOS.

Google Maps on iOS...again, sometime.

Who.

Cares.

I do. You aren't the center of the world.

And to everybody whining at that Linux guy, you're just a bunch of babies, he doesn't like the same thing that you do so what? Grow up.
  • Reply 34 of 77
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    clemynx wrote: »
    And to everybody whining at that Linux guy, you're just a bunch of babies, he doesn't like the same thing that you do so what? Grow up.

I like the way that iOS and OSX autocorrect the spelling of Apple product names, I ALS like the way emoji are invisible to F0?0?L?????
  • Reply 35 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Can you provide a link proving that I aren't the center of the world?

Can anybody confirm that there is a possibility that I may be the center of the world?

• Reply 36 of 77
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member

See, this is why Google needs/wants to be on iOS. Apple doesn't need Google. Google needs Apple and not for the reasons you're thinking of. Google can't afford to lose search engine competition to others like MS. It was always their plan to make an iOS app after being dumped by Apple. You aren't anything unless you're on iOS (for now at least).

• Reply 37 of 77
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Can you provide a link proving that I aren't the center of the world?

Can anybody confirm that there is a possibility that I may be the center of the world?

If you can stand the pressure and the heat :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inner_core

• Reply 38 of 77
    clemynx wrote: »

If you can stand the pressure and the heat :p
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inner_core

Of course I can.

How else could I be replying to you?
  • Reply 39 of 77
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Shouldn't you be posting this on /. where the planet's 250 Linux circle jerks will praise you for returning to lick Richard Stallman's bare, unwashed feet?

Ha ha.

J.

• Reply 40 of 77

I found a screenshot