Photos allegedly show native Google Maps app for iOS

Comments

• Reply 41 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcel655 View Post

For everyone NOT living in the USA this is pretty cool. Currently Apple maps puts my place of work about 120km in the wrong direction in Australia, and my second home in Germany is only rendered in black and white. I mean black and white serious WTF?

I know I am only in the 3% of IOS user bothered by the shitty apple maps, but to me personally it matters enough to wait patiently to upgrade to IOS6 and am holding of on buying a IPhone5.

In the meantime I'm starting to look around for alternatives to replace my apple gear, cause without maps I don't need an Iphone. Without an IPhone I need a different media player, so I don't need I-Tunes and without I-Tunes I don't need my Apple TV. And subsequently can also move my dev platform from OS-X back to Linux, and if I do that I don't need to pay premium for a mac book pro.

All because of a simple stupid maps app. Crazy.

Tallest - blow this shit up.

• Reply 42 of 77
    This cannot come fast enough.

Apple Maps is useless for location information in or around London.
  • Reply 43 of 77
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Originally Posted by logandigges View Post

I found a screenshot 

Very nice, I like how the search bar is translucent, just doing that makes the map look larger, I don't really know how to formulate that.

Where did you find that?

• Reply 44 of 77
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sedicivalvole View Post

This cannot come fast enough.

Apple Maps is useless for location information in or around London.

Sadly, this is true. It's hard to believe that it's missing London Underground stations (Tottenham Court Road, Knightsbridge, etc). 

I've raised this multiple times and so far no updates from Apple. London is hardly a back-water; we're home to two out of the three largest Apple stores on the globe!

• Reply 45 of 77
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

..and imagine how much further it would have improved by Christmas. I predict Google maps will make very little impact. Google lost a golden opportunity.. by Eric Schmidt's own admission, they'd know 'for a long time' that Apple were moving to their own maps. If they were forward thinking they would have had the app ready by launch day, or shortly after, and would have benefitted from all the media attention and got good adoption. Now, their maps will hardly make a blip, since it will be released near the end of the year, or maybe even 2013. 

No, if Schmidt hadn't been such a douche and given us the same navigation that they gave to everyone else for free, then I might have still used Google maps. Instead they decided to gamble and try to **** Apple users over by forcing them to use a 5 year old app or give up their private data to a data pimp to get voice navigation. Google lost, and now I could give a shit about what Google does these days. I've switched search engines, and I think Apple maps works very well for me, plus I get voice navigation, I get to keep my data away from Google, and it takes voice input with excellent accuracy.

Google can kiss my ass...

RichL - My maps app finds both of those locations?

• Reply 46 of 77
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Sadly, this is true. It's hard to believe that it's missing London Underground stations (Tottenham Court Road, Knightsbridge, etc). 

I've raised this multiple times and so far no updates from Apple. London is hardly a back-water; we're home to two out of the three largest Apple stores on the globe!

Lol, you don't need to justify the need by giving the Apple Store excuse, London is a big city enough to ask for good maps of it.

• Reply 47 of 77
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

No, if Schmidt hadn't been such a douche and given us the same navigation that they gave to everyone else for free, then I might have still used Google maps. Instead they decided to gamble and try to **** Apple users over by forcing them to use a 5 year old app or give up their private data to a data pimp to get voice navigation. Google lost, and now I could give a shit about what Google does these days. I've switched search engines, and I think Apple maps works very well for me, plus I get voice navigation, I get to keep my data away from Google, and it takes voice input with excellent accuracy.

Google can kiss my ass...

Out of curiosity, do you know who you're sharing your location and search information with now to get navigation? Do you know what is being shared?

• Reply 48 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Can you provide a link proving that I aren't the center of the world?

Can anybody confirm that there is a possibility that I may be the center of the world?

Is “I aren’t” considered proper grammar at the center of the world?

• Reply 49 of 77
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    Given that Tim Cook recommends people use other mapping apps can we all agree they built an embarrassingly bad app?
  • Reply 50 of 77
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

And you see a train/metro station marker there? In the right location?

If I search for "Tottenham Court Road station", I get a marker halfway along the Tottenham Court Road. This is a significant distance from the actual station.

• Reply 51 of 77
    @marcel655 If you already have a dev account and a mac ... what premium are you paying. Didn't you already buy the device or are you renting?

If you are a dev and have developed apps that are making money why would you want to stop just because you can't use transit directions in maps. If you are a dev and your apps are not making any money the decision to stop developing for iOS should not hinge on wether maps has transit information. That should just be a business decision right?
  • Reply 52 of 77
    lerxt wrote: »
    Given that Tim Cook recommends people use other mapping apps can we all agree they built an embarrassingly bad app?

of course not...that would make sense.
  • Reply 53 of 77

What's Google?

• Reply 54 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Out of curiosity, do you know who you're sharing your location and search information with now to get navigation? Do you know what is being shared?

Yes. Anonymous location data (source/destination) including any transit data from source to target. Since Apple isn't in the business of profiting off of user data, I'm more comfortable with Apple having this info (it is necessary for mapping) rather than Google. Google on the other hand makes it's bread and butter off of ads and mining user data. Kind of like a wolf watching the hen house, and the hen house is my personal data. FYI, that last bit is for 3rd party apps when you opt into allowing them to use location services.

To provide location-based services on Apple products, Apple and our partners and licensees may collect, use, and share precise location data, including the real-time geographic location of your Apple computer or device. This location data is collected anonymously in a form that does not personally identify you and is used by Apple and our partners and licensees to provide and improve location-based products and services. For example, we may share geographic location with application providers when you opt in to their location services.

• Reply 55 of 77
    jnjnjn wrote: »
    Ha ha.

J.

In fairness, I suppose Steve Jobs was also once a barefoot hippie with questionable hygiene. But that's as far as the similarities go.
  • Reply 56 of 77

Quote:

Yes. Anonymous location data (source/destination) including any transit data from source to target. Since Apple isn't in the business of profiting off of user data, I'm more comfortable with Apple having this info (it is necessary for mapping) rather than Google. Google on the other hand makes it's bread and butter off of ads and mining user data. Kind of like a wolf watching the hen house, and the hen house is my personal data. FYI, that last bit is for 3rd party apps when you opt into allowing them to use location services.

To provide location-based services on Apple products, Apple and our partners and licensees may collect, use, and share precise location data, including the real-time geographic location of your Apple computer or device. This location data is collected anonymously in a form that does not personally identify you and is used by Apple and our partners and licensees to provide and improve location-based products and services. For example, we may share geographic location with application providers when you opt in to their location services.

So how is this different from the non-personal information you previously shared with Google? What data is Apple sharing with Yelp? Does it still include the UDID as an identifier? How did you opt-in to Yelp? How did you opt-in to location services? What exactly did you agree to?

If you're truly concerned about how your location and non-personal information is shared after avoiding the "evil Google", with who and for what, and what "they" know and store about you, wouldn't it be advisable to find the answers? If personal privacy is of the utmost importance I'd want to know for certain if my new situation was any better than the old. Perhaps it's more about Google as a former Apple friend but now a perceived enemy and less about your privacy?

And IMHO that "last part" isn't restricted to opt-in 3rd party services going by the wording. Apple simply offers an example of one way location might be shared outside of Apple and it's partners, ie App developers.

• Reply 57 of 77
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Yeah, you are pretty crazy. Insane, more accurately. Good luck with all that. Cause, you know, having the satellite imagery of your house temporarily in black & white really affects your life, or something. Also. I'd hope you can find your way to your workplace by now. But yeah, your decision to change operating systems and dev platforms and spend thousands of dolars buying new products and transitioning workflows because of a single app (that has alternatives) is completely justified. 

As I said, the people bitching the most about maps online are fringe cases like the above, with extreme, hysterical reactions. 

Actually, most of the people bitching about Apple maps are those that live outside the USA, where the data is absolute shite almost everywhere you go.  They aren't "fringe" cases at all.  

What doesn't help is the three or four replies to this guys post from stupid Americans who haughtily dismiss everything about the complaint even though they don't experience the same bad data that the rest of us do.  

The guy has a completely valid complaint.  Most users outside of the USA do as well.  

The attitude of most Americans on this site to people from other countries is just appalling.  

• Reply 58 of 77
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

And you see a train/metro station marker there? In the right location?

If I search for "Tottenham Court Road station", I get a marker halfway along the Tottenham Court Road. This is a significant distance from the actual station.

Every single train station in Canada is like this on Apple's new maps also.  

I think it's primarily because they are working off GPS data and absolute locations.  The locations of our "stations" for instance appears to be accurate if you consider the platform (usually far underground and a block or so in one or the other direction), to be the station.  

This won't help anyone walking around in that city find the train station, as they will have to search a 1 by 1 by 1 block square at minimum for the entrance and could be off by as much as one or two streets, but I would bet this is actually considered to be "accurate" by the data people at Apple.  

The trouble is, Apple being Apple, they probably have about five people in a small team working on the maps errors.  They will never see all these places in person, will never know how inaccurate their data is.  The thing they need the most here is to crowdsource the data and partner with other entities to make it all work together.  

Unfortunately for us, historically, these exact things have always been Apples greatest weakness and the thing they do least well of all.  

• Reply 59 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

So how is this different from the non-personal information you previously shared with Google? What data is Apple sharing with Yelp? Does it still include the UDID as an identifier? How did you opt-in to Yelp? How did you opt-in to location services? What exactly did you agree to?

If you're truly concerned about how your location and non-personal information is shared after avoiding the "evil Google", with who and for what, and what "they" know and store about you, wouldn't it be advisable to find the answers? If personal privacy is of the utmost importance I'd want to know for certain if my new situation was any better than the old. Perhaps it's more about Google as a former Apple friend but now a perceived enemy and less about your privacy?

And IMHO that "last part" isn't restricted to opt-in 3rd party services going by the wording. Apple simply offers an example of one way location might be shared outside of Apple and it's partners, ie App developers.

Because Google also has my search data, my profile data (if I use Google plus), a willingness to bypass privacy controls (See safari tracking), and a generally bad history with an obvious conflict of interest when it comes to protecting data.

If you can't see the difference between a company that profits in selling data as opposed to one who profits from hardware and software, then no argument will ever satisfy you.

• Reply 60 of 77

Quote:

Because Google also has my search data, my profile data (if I use Google plus), a willingness to bypass privacy controls (See safari tracking), and a generally bad history with an obvious conflict of interest when it comes to protecting data.

If you can't see the difference between a company that profits in selling data as opposed to one who profits from hardware and software, then no argument will ever satisfy you.

What does Yelp profit from? Can I also assume from your answer that you don't really care about what Apple might share about you, since it's Apple who you like and not Google who you don't?

It's a perfectly valid choice to avoid using Google if at all possible, and no explanation for it is necessary. Therefor no reason to make up an imaginary one if you have.  IMHO I see people say it's due to privacy when it appears it really isn't, based on their responses when it's brought up.