Photos allegedly show native Google Maps app for iOS

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 77
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    marcel655 wrote: »
    For everyone NOT living in the USA this is pretty cool. Currently Apple maps puts my place of work about 120km in the wrong direction in Australia, and my second home in Germany is only rendered in black and white. I mean black and white serious WTF?
    I know I am only in the 3% of IOS user bothered by the shitty apple maps, but to me personally it matters enough to wait patiently to upgrade to IOS6 and am holding of on buying a IPhone5.
    In the meantime I'm starting to look around for alternatives to replace my apple gear, cause without maps I don't need an Iphone. Without an IPhone I need a different media player, so I don't need I-Tunes and without I-Tunes I don't need my Apple TV. And subsequently can also move my dev platform from OS-X back to Linux, and if I do that I don't need to pay premium for a mac book pro.
    All because of a simple stupid maps app. Crazy.
    l

All because you're really a troll!
  • Reply 62 of 77
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

What does Yelp profit from? Can I also assume from your answer that you don't really care about what Apple might share about you, since it's Apple who you like and not Google who you don't?

It's a perfectly valid choice to avoid using Google if at all possible, and no explanation for it is necessary. Therefor no reason to make up an imaginary one if you have.  IMHO I see people say it's due to privacy when it appears it really isn't based on their responses when it's brought up. 

Yelp is a 3rd party app. You can choose to use it or not? See the difference? 

Clearly IMHO, you see what you want to see. I have very real concerns about Google and it's abuse of privacy, which is why I avoid all of their services whenever possible. I stated my reasons above and they are valid reasons. You may feel differently, but don't assume that your views are mine.

• Reply 63 of 77
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    marcel655 wrote: »
    For everyone NOT living in the USA... ..., and my second home in Germany is only rendered in black and white. I mean black and white serious WTF?

"WTF" black and white.... HINT: the original satelite data is black and white...

look up Panchromatic satelite images... HINT : it is how they produce those "pretty" color images on google and others Maps... and is an expensive option when you pay for satelitte images...
  • Reply 64 of 77
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Yelp is a 3rd party app. You can choose to use it or not? See the difference? 

Not really. So is Google.

• Reply 65 of 77

Ditto!

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfergenson View Post

Am I the only person who likes the new Maps app? It fixes a few of my pet peeves including the fact that the old app's route highlighter blocked the traffic. I've found it to be accurate every time I've tried to use it and it's much faster on my 3G iPhone 4.

• Reply 66 of 77

It will be fixed before you can make the change. Just use a web app in the meantime.

While naturally it's bothersome not to be Apple's immediate priorty, you sound a lot like the people Louis CK refers to in "Everything is Amazing and Nobody is Happy." [3:15]

( . . . although almost everyone on this forum does.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcel655 View Post

For everyone NOT living in the USA this is pretty cool. Currently Apple maps puts my place of work about 120km in the wrong direction in Australia, and my second home in Germany is only rendered in black and white. I mean black and white serious WTF?

I know I am only in the 3% of IOS user bothered by the shitty apple maps, but to me personally it matters enough to wait patiently to upgrade to IOS6 and am holding of on buying a IPhone5.

In the meantime I'm starting to look around for alternatives to replace my apple gear, cause without maps I don't need an Iphone. Without an IPhone I need a different media player, so I don't need I-Tunes and without I-Tunes I don't need my Apple TV. And subsequently can also move my dev platform from OS-X back to Linux, and if I do that I don't need to pay premium for a mac book pro.

• Reply 67 of 77
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Not really. So is Google.

Yes, it is now ;)

• Reply 68 of 77
    I got sucked into thinking the new Maps was rubbish after reading all the bad press - until I actually used it that is.
    I've found it truly amazing for turn by turn navigation. The area cached is huge and accuracy and routing better even than any of my Garmin dedicated units.
    There's always going to be some anomalies with a brand new product but the whole thing is being blown out of all proportion in my opinion.
  • Reply 69 of 77
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Every single train station in Canada is like this on Apple's new maps also.  

I think it's primarily because they are working off GPS data and absolute locations.  The locations of our "stations" for instance appears to be accurate if you consider the platform (usually far underground and a block or so in one or the other direction), to be the station.  

The problem in London appears to be different. It finds Tottenham Court Road because it's both the name of the street and the Underground station. It's finding the street, rather than the station, even if you include the word 'station' in your search. There's no metro icon on the map at all.

• Reply 70 of 77
    In my opinion, Goigle waited simply because they were afraid of producing a native app that could be inferior in some way to Apple's new maps.

So they decided to wait until Apple released their maps. This way they could review Apple's maps and make whatever revisions and features needed to compete.

This really can be the only reason they waited.

The fact that they are acting like a bunch of know-it-alls after the fact is ignorant to me.

They had a plan and this was it.

The "Wait and see" plan.
  • Reply 71 of 77
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    I can see Bigfoot in these hinty photos. Why not post complete screenshots instead of these teasers? Unless it's not real.

I was thinking the same thing. Could be easy to zoom in so you can't see its an Android device, etc.

Frankly I find there is too much wrong in these articles. They don't balance talk of all iOS 6 maps errors with the simple fact that Google Maps was just as bad. They don't point out that Google had 2-3 years of Apple buying map companies and a limited time contract as big dang clues o be working on a native app. Oh and that Verge article everyone keeps sourcing does not say there was another year left on the contract. It says they knew a year before the contract ran out that they were ditching Google and didn't tell them until the end of the contract.
  • Reply 72 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Very nice, I like how the search bar is translucent, just doing that makes the map look larger, I don't really know how to formulate that.

Where did you find that?

Michael Steeber found it, it's on his blog. http://michaelsteeber.com/post/33602342635/google-maps-for-ios-6

• Reply 73 of 77
    ecsecs Posts: 307member

First: iOS maps isn't an option if you're outside the USA, as any non-USA user can prove. Second, even if Apple someday manages to release an acceptable version for non-USA users, flyover isn't a substitute for streetview. Yes, flyover is a cool toy, but there're users who use streetview for their work (I'm an architect, and it's a tool that helps my work, as many other architects and related professionals can tell, and no, flyover cannot substitute streetview, they're for different purposes).

So please, Google, release this app soon. The third-party apps "alternatives" proposed by Apple are not a real substitute. I want Google Maps, and Apple Maps. I don't care about the rest, as they don't provide the same experience/features.

• Reply 74 of 77
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

If this comes out I will be able to buy the iPhone 5. The Apple Maps app is useless.

You're completely full of shit, so stop trolling. This is you not too long ago:

Quote:

Apple have done everything wrong with iPhone 5. Strange dimensions, appalling maps, downgrade quality software and an unmitigated ripoff cable. It's the first iPhone I don't want.

So now you're planning to buy a phone you apparently hate everything about, from a company you despise, as evidence by every single one of your posts here being negative? 

Why don't you buy a phone you actually like, instead of that kind of weak trolling? Better yet, stop lying your ass off. It's pathetic and embarrassing. 

• Reply 75 of 77
    stefstef Posts: 87member
    "IF we do it..." says Schmidt, mister pants on fire. The Google map builds are already leaked. Betcha the new Google map app will be vector based; the old one was not. And betcha it offers turn by turn, which Google refused to provide to Apple. So, soon, IOS users will have the best of both worlds: Apple and Google maps both. Win, win, Apple.
  • Reply 76 of 77
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    slurpy wrote: »
    You're completely full of shit, so stop trolling. This is you not too long ago:

So now you're planning to buy a phone you apparently hate everything about, from a company you despise, as evidence by every single one of your posts here being negative? 
    Why don't you buy a phone you actually like, instead of that kind of weak trolling? Better yet, stop lying your ass off. It's pathetic and embarrassing. 

What a dolt. Perhaps you are simple enough to need a :s or something. Let me be simple for you, "Hey Google is coming to rescue the functionality of the iPhone 5, quick lets buy it"

Does that help you, kiddy?
  • Reply 77 of 77
    I am surprised they didn't have this ready last month. Everyone and their uncle knew Apple was rolling out their own Maps....which is slowly getting better, but still not there. I would have installed Google Map app in a heartbeat if it came out right after ios6, but Apple has improved theirs just enough that it is usable for me at this point.