FBI issues warning to smartphone users regarding Android malware

Comments

• Reply 41 of 104

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekmorr View Post

Seems like nothing will satisfy you, which isn't atypical for commenters here. Human review isn't feasible for something at YouTube's scale.

If Wikipedia can be reviewed by humans, so can Youtube.

• Reply 42 of 104

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacerays View Post

If Wikipedia can be reviewed by humans, so can Youtube.

Per  "72 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute." So, no, human review isn't possible for every video. You have to rely on algorithms, supplemented with limited human review.

• Reply 43 of 104

Seems like nothing will satisfy you…

Yeah, that's obviously the case. Not something like "Prevent all hard media downloads from the website itself and use the stolen material against the thieves by automatically cross-referencing anything in the videos with a database source and putting multiple links to the content therein below the video where it's available for legal purchase".

Hulu manages to do it. 

• Reply 44 of 104

And what would prevent spurious take down requests of unpopular/controversial content?  Just because enough people flag it does not mean it should be taken down automatically imho. 

• Reply 45 of 104

Quote:

I'm not sure what you mean by "refuse to actually do anything" -- Google regularly removes content from YouTube when receive they a DMCA notice. In fact, they've been criticized for being too aggressive about pulling content.

I can vouch for this. 

• Reply 46 of 104

Originally Posted by thejenkas View Post

Just because enough people flag it does not mean it should be taken down automatically imho. 

Right! What stops third-party reports of copyright infringement is an automated system weighted away from that and toward human review. Taking humans completely out of the equation is irresponsible, even if they can't possibly handle everything.

• Reply 47 of 104

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, that's obviously the case. Not something like "Prevent all hard media downloads from the website itself and use the stolen material against the thieves by automatically cross-referencing anything in the videos with a database source and putting multiple links to the content therein below the video where it's available for legal purchase".

Hulu manages to do it. 

Seems like you're changing the topic a bit. Further, Hulu doesn't allow arbitrary user-uploaded content; YouTube does. And YouTube does offer links out to purchase content for some music in videos they can identify.

• Reply 48 of 104
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member

Quote:

Yeah, they pull down fair use utilizations while leaving up unedited, unchanged, illegal content.

Only you, and perhaps big businesses, would complain about that.

• Reply 49 of 104
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Right! What stops third-party reports of copyright infringement is an automated system weighted away from that and toward human review. Taking humans completely out of the equation is irresponsible, even if they can't possibly handle everything.

TS, Google's blog statement from my earlier link:

"Content owners have uploaded more than ten million reference files to the Content ID system. At that scale, mistakes can and do happen. To address this, we’ve improved the algorithms that identify potentially invalid claims. We stop these claims from automatically affecting user videos and place them in a queue to be manually reviewed. This process prevents disputes that arise when content not owned by a partner inadvertently turns up in a reference file.

Smarter claim detection minimizes unintentional mistakes. Of course, we take action in rare cases of intentional misuse, up to and including terminating Content ID access."

• Reply 50 of 104

Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

Only you, and perhaps big businesses, would complain about that.

No, I'm pretty sure the average person is okay with getting their stuff legally and having illegal stuff removed. 

• Reply 51 of 104
    But this okay. Due to its OPEN nature, the exploits will be patched by a bunch of random, good-natured citizens working feverishly in their mothers' basements. Stay tuned, as an update is on the horizon.
  • Reply 52 of 104
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    joelsalt wrote: »
    the entire Frasier series is up about 3 or 4 times over.  I've also watched countless operas and movies, many of which are still up.  And I haven't even been looking, really.

I've heard there's a loophole when a movie is broken up into segments.
  • Reply 53 of 104
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

Turn off any features you don't understand or need. Hilarious.

Android users: Be afraid, be very afraid.

How do you put a price on fear.

• Reply 54 of 104

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

Be afraid of what, exactly? Shoddy reporting? These apps cannot install themselves automatically, and they're blocked by the default config. This is a non-story.

• Reply 55 of 104
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

Turn off any features you don't understand or need. Hilarious.

How do you put a price on fear.

I can't get all happy because some Android users, who are likely regular folks like you and me, are getting pwned.  Frankly, iOS has vulnerabilities too.  Any exploit that we use to jailbreak is a vulnerability that can be used to be malicious.

Odds are the annoying fandroids aren't going to get nailed by this sort thing anyway because they are one of the handful actually running CyanogenMod X:UberBasementEdition. 

• Reply 56 of 104

derek, mon pauvre, this is just the beginning. 

• Reply 57 of 104
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Hahahaha.image

Android is open alright, it's open to all sorts of viruses and malware.image

Be prepared to wipe your entire phone clean every night and you can root it every day when you wake up. Maybe that will help. image

And honestly speaking, if I were a thief or a hacker, I wouldn't even bother to target Android users, as most Android devices are lower end devices made for poor people without much money. What's the point of stealing their info? There probably isn't much of value to steal.image

• Reply 58 of 104

Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

I can't get all happy because some Android users, who are likely regular folks like you and me, are getting pwned.  Frankly, iOS has vulnerabilities too.  Any exploit that we use to jailbreak is a vulnerability that can be used to be malicious.

Odds are the annoying fandroids aren't going to get nailed by this sort thing anyway because they are one of the handful actually running CyanogenMod X:UberBasementEdition. 

Yes, I hear you. It's more of a general mirth at the silliness of humanity in general. Like the Hatfields and the McCoys. Every time, every single time, without exception, when I have seen a pc user on their laptop or home machine or heard about their daily virus routine, it makes me cringe at the self inflicted horror of it all. The propensity to accept ugliness over beauty is now so ingrained into the world psyche that everyone should be concerned where it all leads. For example look at the appalling american led infantilisation of women which is making the world into a place that deserves what it gets. I do not really find it funny at all.

/<rant>

• Reply 59 of 104
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member

To actually get this stuff running the Android user has to manually install the shady downloaded app, while confirming all of the security permissions in the process.  Though before this step is accessible, they'll need to have already turned on the system wide option to install packages from unknown sources.  There's no way for a package to automatically install on it's own.

You're equally likely to get malicious wares through Cydia on a jailbroken iPhone.  Are there even warnings about permissions/data access in that environment?

• Reply 60 of 104
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Hahahaha.image

Android is open alright, it's open to all sorts of viruses and malware.image

Fandroids, be prepared to wipe your entire phone clean every night and you can root it every day when you wake up. Maybe that will help. image

And honestly speaking, if I were a thief or a hacker, I wouldn't even bother to target Android users, as most Android devices are lower end devices made for cheap people without much money. What's the point of stealing a bum's info? There probably isn't much of value to steal.image

There's no need for such panic.  Generally anyone sporting some type of consciousness will avoid malicious software on an Android device.  There are plenty of wealthy people use Android devices.  Sure there are more 'poor' people with cheaper Android phones... because Apple has chosen not to offer something that fits their budget.  Someone who thinks they are "rich" and "better" than other people because they worship Apple wouldn't understand any of this.