Microsoft airs first Surface ad as part of $1B Windows 8 marketing campaign

Comments

• Reply 101 of 145
    Love reading the comments on this Apple fan... I mean, Apple News site.

• Reply 102 of 145
    Who did those school girls( no younger than 10 IMHO) suppose to appeal to? Dirty old men in Florida with tera bytes of free hard drive space?
    Weird...
  • Reply 103 of 145
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    They kept selling the hinge and keyboard cover during the keynote and now they are doing the same in the TV commercial. I would like to see more of what the tablet does on the software level
  • Reply 104 of 145
    begbeg Posts: 53member

1) Just like at the MS press conference they don't show anybody actually using the keyboard. Funny that since it's supposed to be so magical and awesome to use. I'm guessing the phrase "barely usable" will be more apt once this is in peoples hands.

2) LOL at 0:13 with the guys sitting on the bench. Notice how they turn the Surface so its like a laptop... except the surface needs the kickstand to stand up so it would not be able to be used in that manner.

3) How many people will just think this is an iPad commercial since they've been seeing iPads with the SmartCover for over a year. GG Microsoft the sales bump for iPads will probably be more than all Surfaces sold.

• Reply 105 of 145
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    simtub wrote: »
    They kept selling the hinge and keyboard cover during the keynote and now they are doing the same in the TV commercial. I would like to see more of what the tablet does on the software level
    The fact that Microsoft has given so little attention to the software and how the touch cover actually works makes me wonder if this device is ready for prime time. They announced this several months ago and still no one outside of Microsoft has had the opportunity to try it out and report on how well (or not) it works.
  • Reply 106 of 145
    How to make an advert 101:
    Tell us about the product; what is it? How does it make our life more convenient? What are its features and functionality? What is its price point? What are its technical features and specifications?

How to not make an advert 101:
    *points to Microsoft video* NOT. THAT.
  • Reply 107 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by beg View Post

1) Just like at the MS press conference they don't show anybody actually using the keyboard. Funny that since it's supposed to be so magical and awesome to use. I'm guessing the phrase "barely usable" will be more apt once this is in peoples hands.

2) LOL at 0:13 with the guys sitting on the bench. Notice how they turn the Surface so its like a laptop... except the surface needs the kickstand to stand up so it would not be able to be used in that manner.

Not to mention that Asus have already announced the Vivo with a REAL keyboard that turns into a REAL laptop. Stylus input as standard too (it actually looks very nice and very impressive)

Even the RT version of the Vivo comes with a keyboard dock.

Yet here comes Microsoft with a magnetic cover with a few lines cut into it in the hope that it will stop people from making mistakes when having a conversation about Banana Nut Muffins.

• Reply 108 of 145
    mcrsmcrs Posts: 172member

I am sure M$ blows one billion dollars for advertisement to entice people to buy Surface that is not "working well enough." 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

So you set out to show how noisy it can be??? I really don't think the snaps and clicks will cover up the sound of the cooling fan.

I wonder if they have the prototypes working well enough to function through a public unveiling yet??

• Reply 109 of 145
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    mstone wrote: »
    Please somebody tell me what the hell is a keyboard-cum-cover? I Googled it but still no luck. How someone can propose this as reasonable marketing strategy or brand name choice is beyond idiotic. Ok, I'm imagining a marketing meeting (I've been in plenty) and someones says  "I've got it!" 'Cum Cover' that's the ticket! Didn't any eyes roll back into their heads?

The amazing thing to me is that they made dozens of these tablets for that commercial. I guess they really are serious about getting into manufacturing.
  • Reply 110 of 145
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    davegee wrote: »
    First ever foray??
    The author of this article needs to do some research I'd say.

Guess they forgot the Xbox
  • Reply 111 of 145
    That's Daniel Cloud Campos in the 'main character' role...
  • Reply 112 of 145
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

And despite all those clueless ads.... Microsoft still has 90% of the market.

353 million PCs were sold last year... all toting a Microsoft OS.

Yes... PC sales are declining... it's being reported that only 348 million PCs will be sold this year.

Microsoft is doomed because of bad advertising... right? image

And where are the statistics on how many of those PCs sold each year are replacing Windows systems that are destined for the landfill (or recycling center, etc) compared to Mac systems. I suspect that if there were any statistics for how many of each platform are destroyed each year the installed base of operational systems running Mac OS would be at least 2x if not 3x or 4x larger than the net new sales figures suggest. 

• Reply 113 of 145

You're all missing one important point.

WHO. IS. THIS CUTIE?

• Reply 114 of 145
    MS finally released pricing and pre-order on Surface RT. $499 for 32GB without touch cover. $599 for 32GB with touch cover. $699 for 64GB with touch cover. Stans alone Touch cover is $119 and Type cover is $129.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/16/3271243/microsoft-surface-tablet-pricing-availability

Does Surface RT have cellular options or is it wi-fi only?
  • Reply 115 of 145
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Seriously. Is Apple the only company that shows its products being used?
  • Reply 116 of 145
    Someone posted this on the Verge which I thought was apt

0wy9A.jpg
  • Reply 117 of 145

Much like the MS with the Surface, I'm a day late.  Thumbs up to Suddenly Newton.  One-handed browsing sessions indeed.  image

• Reply 118 of 145
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Apple has let that be a third-party supplied product. I think if you got a chance to compare the 3rd-party iPad keyboard quality to the MS Surface accessory keyboard, the Surface keyboard would come out second-best.

I've only used one, don't remember the type- it was terrible and felt cheap (and I'm guessing it was cheap). I sure a comparable high-end one might work better than MS- the advantage MS has is that it doesn't have to be Bluetooth, require batteries, etc- so that'll help with weight, thinness, annoyance, etc.
    It really is a great concept I wish apple would have done- now, that being said, until some sites can do some hands on reviews- that's all it is- a great concept. But I'll reserve my judgement until then.
  • Reply 119 of 145

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotScott View Post

You're all missing one important point.

WHO. IS. THIS CUTIE?

I loved how by 12 seconds in, she had lost all interest, and actually leaves the area by 23 seconds.  Even she though it was wierd!

• Reply 120 of 145
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    And despite all those clueless ads.... Microsoft still has 90% of the market.
    353 million PCs were sold last year... all toting a Microsoft OS.
    Yes... PC sales are declining... it's being reported that only 348 million PCs will be sold this year.
    Microsoft is doomed because of bad advertising... right? 8-)

Yep and only a few years ago Kodak we selling a ton of film. Things can change fast you know.