iOS "back button" is now problematic on iPhone 5

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

With the passage to the 4 inches screen size, Apple has insisted that this doesn't change the way people type with their iPhones. However adding a quarter of an inch of screen width wouldn't have changed much to the way people type, especially when a lot of people type with two hands.

On the other hand, adding height to the screen poses a big problem regarding the top buttons and especially the back button in the upper left corner. This button is extremely used and, contrary to typing, most of the time it's used while operating the phone one-handedly. Now that button is really difficult to reach and forces the user to employ an uncomfortable movement of the hand to press it or, more commonly, to use the other hand.

The UI was thought for the previous form factor and iOS hasn't been completely rethought when they made the screen bigger, at least for this problem it's apparent. Even promotional material for the iPhone 5 shows tons of examples where the user's thumb is clearly too small to reach the back button easily.

Apple had to make a bigger screen, now they need to rethink some of the functions of iOS to take advantage of the new size in different ways than those currently implemented. Maybe move the back button to the bottom (that would mean a total revamp of many apps), or give the option to flick back with a gesture for people who want it. There's always the option of a physical button, but everybody knows that's not going to happen. Maybe making the screen larger would have allowed to put a back button at the bottom left corner, without disrupting existing buttons.

That's the problem that's plaguing me. It may seem a minor problem, but that back button is so widely used in iOS, that it's a bit annoying, and the more I think about it, the more it's annoying me.

I added examples for the ad (ok there's an image that's doubled but you get the picture...)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Now that button is really difficult to reach and forces the user to employ an uncomfortable movement of the hand to press it or, more commonly, to use the other hand.

And, using a completely non-scientific process that most of you will just ignore anyway, I don't think that's much of an issue. 

Yeah, that's a first-gen. Notice that I can touch the top corner of the device itself, not just its screen, without bringing any 'uncomfortable movements' into play. My thumb just bends across my hand when stretching that far, which is further than the distance to the back button in the UI.

Again, I'm 6'2" and have a hand span that, were it just a quarter inch longer, could hold an iPad from the back without discomfort. Once I get some hands-on time with the real thing (thinner in all other dimensions, therefore less hand wrap needed to hold it, therefore should be able to reach farther), I can post new pictures.

• Reply 2 of 9
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Yeah, but most of the time you don't hold the phone that way with the base of the thumb at 2/3 from the top of the screen image

and it's odd that you had to change the position of your fingers behind the phone for the third picture. That shouldn't happen.

This guy is a leftie, but if he were right-handed that would be a problem.

I think it's something Apple should work.

• Reply 3 of 9

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Yeah, but most of the time you don't hold the phone that way with the base of the thumb at 2/3 from the top of the screen image

Oh, when I need to get there, I just slide the phone across the inside of the bulbous part of my index metacarpal. At least for me it's a smooth transition, not even a bump to cross. 

• Reply 4 of 9
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

It isn't for me, and I have average-sized hands. It's the first thing I noticed when I first manipulated the phone. I'm sure that I'm not alone since a friend of mine who tried it thought the same thing, once I told her about it.

• Reply 5 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And, using a completely non-scientific process that most of you will just ignore anyway, I don't think that's much of an issue. 

Yeah, that's a first-gen. Notice that I can touch the top corner of the device itself, not just its screen, without bringing any 'uncomfortable movements' into play. My thumb just bends across my hand when stretching that far, which is further than the distance to the back button in the UI.

Again, I'm 6'2" and have a hand span that, were it just a quarter inch longer, could hold an iPad from the back without discomfort. Once I get some hands-on time with the real thing (thinner in all other dimensions, therefore less hand wrap needed to hold it, therefore should be able to reach farther), I can post new pictures.

Wow. Note 2 might be the right phone for your hand  image

• Reply 6 of 9

Originally Posted by Nathillien View Post

Wow. Note 2 might be the right phone for your hand  image

I know, you know? That sort of bothers me. Feel like a basketball player or something. image

• Reply 7 of 9

This is why i cant even use these things, there is no dedicated backbutton. Im helping a friend out which is why im here, i personally own an android! her iphone has some issues with it going back. Why is the back feature all over the shop on ios this is one big sloopy mistake if you ask me! Would drive me mad haveing this!

• Reply 8 of 9

Originally Posted by Paul23fg View Post

This is why i cant even use these things, there is no dedicated backbutton. 

Uh… Home.

Would drive me mad haveing this!

What, hardware built for the software it's running?

• Reply 9 of 9
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Dang TS, someone with a large-screen phone must be giving you lessons on how to use it with one hand? That's the exact same way two of the kids working at the shop hold their S3's! Who said it can't be done.image