Apple to show 'a little more' at Oct. 23 'iPad mini' event

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday sent out invitations for a media event that will be held in one week, where the company is expected to launch a handful of new products, headlined by a smaller iPad with a 7.85-inch display.

Invitation
Invitation to Apple's Oct. 23 event, via The Loop.

Apple will hold the event at the California Theatre in San Jose, Calif., at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern, according to Jim Dalrymple of The Loop. The venue is a change from the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, where Apple announced the iPhone 5 along with its updated iPod lineup last month.

The invitations sent out members of the press feature the top of Apple's iconic logo against a background of colors. The tagline is "We've got a little more to show you," hinting at the company's so-called "iPad mini."

Earlier Tuesday, AppleInsider was first to report that 24 new, different iPad configurations are set to be released by Apple. Four models ??described as P101, P103, P105 and P107 ? were detailed via stock-keeping units ranked as "good," "better" and "best," each with two color options, presumably black and white.

Inventory of the entry-level "P101" model is expected to be greatest at launch, suggesting Apple plans to focus on a low barrier to entry for its new, smaller iPad. One retail inventory list that surfaced last weekend suggested an 8-gigabyte model could cost around $249.

Rendering Front/Back
"iPad mini" rendering by Martin Hajek.

The iPad mini is expected to feature a smaller bezel than the full-size iPad, and could run a screen resolution of 1,024-by-768 pixels that would allow it to run native iPad 2 applications without any modifications. It is also expected to have forward and rear facing cameras, as well as the new smaller Lightning connector found on the iPhone 5 and latest iPods.

But the smaller iPad isn't going to be the only device showcased by Apple next week, rumors have suggested. The company is also said to be planning to unveil a 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display onstage at next week's event.

Mac lineup

Whether or not it receives stage time, a new iMac could also be in the cards for next week. AppleInsider was told on Tuesday that there are whispers in the reseller community that the updated desktop could debut one day after the iPad mini event, on Oct. 24.

And the diminutive Mac mini, Apple's small desktop computer and least expensive Mac, is also overdue for an update to Intel's latest Ivy Bridge processors. Supply of the Mac mini has been constrained at third-party resellers since earlier this month, which is often one of the first signs that a product refresh is forthcoming.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 230

Hike up that skirt, Apple. Show me some of that good ol' iMac.

• Reply 2 of 230

The "iPad Little" lol

Time to upgrade my Mac mini, iMac, iBook, and iPhone, and get a iPad... except i can't afford to. one can only dream

• Reply 3 of 230

Wouldn't it be really 'Show a little LESS'? 

I suppose that doesn't make for good marketing though.

• Reply 4 of 230

iMac

Mac mini

iPad mini

Software?

Time to sell off some old, unused gear...

• Reply 5 of 230
    I cant wait for the new iMac. I been waiting for the new one.
  • Reply 6 of 230
    Put me down for

One, Fully Loaded, Fully spec'd out 27 Inch iMac

AND

Two iPad Mini's, fully spec'd out too; 64GB or More plus LTE
  • Reply 7 of 230
    Looking forward to the Mac Mini update :)
  • Reply 8 of 230
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Glad I sold my iPad 3 last month. Bring me the iPad mini!! :)
  • Reply 9 of 230

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hike up that skirt, Apple. Show me some of that good ol' iMac.

The day you have been waiting for will finally be here, Tally !!  Your dream gadget, the iPad mini !!

• Reply 10 of 230

Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

The day you have been waiting for will finally be here, Tally !!  Your dream gadget, the iPad mini !!

Get… over yourself?

I want to see a new iMac, is all.

• Reply 11 of 230
    Shut up and take my apple gift card.

Did I miss it from the article or did they not mention the upgraded ipad?
  • Reply 12 of 230
    I'm always curious about Apple waiting to the last minute like this, especially with the Surface Pricing just being announced.

A 'pricing vice' could easily occur. iPad Mini at an extremely low price ($249 entry), and putting the MBArd13 at the price slot of the current MBA13, and dropping the MBA11 and 13 by $100.

Apple killed the Zune that way, and it would drive a nail deep into the Surface Line (the low end eaten by a Mini, and anyone thinking of a highend (with KB) will have to compare to the MBA11).

Apple plays the long game. They know an MBA11 is just a gateway drug into a rd13/15, and a Mini is for the niche users who want 'everything an iPad gives, just smaller' for those who are literally, looking for a book sized tablet.

When you look at a line from a $.99 to 1599 with delivery points every $100 ($.99(iPhone4)/99(iPhone4s)/199(iPhone5)/
    249(iPad Mini)/299(iPod touch)/399(Ipad2/499(Ipad3-16/599iPad3-32/699(iPad3 64)/gap/899(MBA11)/999(MBA11)/1099(MBA13)/1199(MBA13)/1299 (MBA13RD)

Where can MS play and win? at the $799 sweet spot?
    Factor in cellular and historical quality, and Microsoft has to basically 'drive one to the gap' to score anything with the public.

Let's see if Apple plays hardball... I for one, enjoy watching that game;-)

And yes, I'd love to see a suite of Mac announcements too, Less the iMac (I'm just going to buy an older model for my mom), but the Mac Mini... yes, I'm about ready to upgrade my desktop server.
  • Reply 13 of 230
    I'm holding my breath and my wallet about the iPad minimus until I see the specs and the prices for here in the UK.

Not holding my breath or the filthy lucre re. a revamped iMac 27" - I'll be in the queue!
  • Reply 14 of 230
    An iPad mini starting out with a measley 8gb and an old, non-Retina screen all in the name of cost saving? Never would've happened under Steve. This is the beginning of our trip to Scullyville with Tim Cook as the bus driver.
  • Reply 15 of 230
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    [CENTER][/CENTER]

It's always interesting trying to interpret what Apple is saying in these invites. "A little more" could simply mean more iPads, but little ones.

On the other hand, it could mean a new iPad, and a little more, as in a few more products.

So, lets see, there are six colors in the flag-like colors above the apple. So that could mean six products. We know of most of what is assumed to be shown. Does that add up to six? Could be, depending on how Apple is labeling their products.

Could also be nothing.
  • Reply 16 of 230

If this is what we all think it is, we can basically call all of the Android tablets DOA now... I mean, more DOA than they already were.

• Reply 17 of 230
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

An iPad mini starting out with a measley 8gb and an old, non-Retina screen all in the name of cost saving? Never would've happened under Steve. This is the beginning of our trip to Scullyville with Tim Cook as the bus driver.

You forgot the /s tag.. I hope. 

PS- Apple's current products are by far the highest quality stuff it has ever produced. 

• Reply 18 of 230
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

I'm sure you knew Steve a lot better than Tim. image

• Reply 19 of 230
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    macvicta wrote: »

That's ridiculous! If what we've been reading is true, and this event is going to be pushing the book reading aspect, to compete with the Kindles and Nooks more directly, a cheaper 8GB version is just what is needed. Same thing with the screen. Get real! Apple can't introduce a retina model at small screen pricing right now. In fact, it could be a problem, as apps designed for the 10" retina screen would have type and elements too small for this screen. This limits that. Next year, they could squeeze it in, once screen prices drop, and developers are ready for it.

SJ himself said, at the introduction that they were pricing the iPad to sell as many as possible, at a lower profit margin. So this is exactly what SJ would have done, and as he has been said to have approved of it, no doubt this is what he thought would work.
  • Reply 20 of 230

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's ridiculous! If what we've been reading is true, and this event is going to be pushing the book reading aspect, to compete with the Kindles and Nooks more directly, a cheaper 8GB version is just what is needed.

What about textbooks?