Microsoft Surface tablet with Windows RT to start at $499

Comments

• Reply 41 of 155
    It will interesting to try, but it better do something so mind blowingly better than the iPad otherwise no reason not to stick with the Ipad because of its refinement and its developer support and build.

Emphasizing the keyboard thing so much bugs me because they only show it laid out on a table. Like great I have to go sit at a table to use the keyboard. That sort of defeats the purpose of what the ipad is about. The effect of this emphasis is advertising a more clumsy fragile version of a laptop with a cramped screen.

I don't really see it as great I can use a keyboard with it if I want to. Because it doesn't look like you can whip out the keyboard if you're on the couch unless the keyboard cover is much more rigid than what I perceive. And it looks like it will be a worse experience as laptop than ..... my cheap laptop.

The pricing seems attractive. They set it up at $500 so they can say 32gb is better than 16gb iPad 3. Of course the screen screams iPad 2 which is $400 for 16gb.

But the cover thing? The ipad seems to have some good keyboard covers if you need them especially if you are spending $100. And not sure about the little trackpad they built into it. That looks painful. I assume you can touch the screen still.

MS will probably be better at supporting the keyboard. And supporting input functionality outside of multi-touch.

btw, the rumors of 24 new ipad models coming in 2 weeks sound like this is where Cook is going to make his mark with Apple especially if they include a tweaked Ipad 3 and a low priced mini-Ipad. He'll be a little more competitive on price and having more regularly updated models than Jobs was although this is perhaps a byproduct on Apple's position in the tablet space. One as a leader and one where they way more iPads than Macs, but that is under assault by competition from all over because everyone thinks this space is going to grow gangbusters over the next 5-10 years.

• Reply 41 of 155
    MS will do some things better with RT Surface. IT will lack refinement though.

And I don't think Win8 Surface does well at all. I don't see the need for it. It seems like the worst of both worlds. Clumsy laptop. Big chunky tablet. AS much money as an Ipad and decent Windows laptop combined.

But oh you can have one device.

IN my experience I use my laptop and iPad for different things. And to make one better do what the other does better means making it worse at what it did do better in the first place.

Ultimately I think Apple recognizes there is a trade-off to be made. And that's why they aren't trying to merge the 2 devices and make an Intel-based tablet.
  • Reply 43 of 155

Lol and Apple just send the invitations.

this is being badass..BADass.. really.

awesome move.

• Reply 44 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by h.rav View Post

If this thing works, I hope it will push Apple to innovate again. File folder and USB port (s) are going to be the deal breakers.

File folder and USB ports = innovation?

So more "innovation" is to add eSata, 1394, SD card readers, Ethernet, HDMI, VGA, and parallel printer ports. Then we'll take it one step further: since everyone uses the keyboard and trackpad all the time, we'll just leave it attached to the display on a hinge! And since everyone is complaining about the fixed 22 degree angle of the kickstand, let's make the display panel adjustable to any angle with the hinge mechanism. This means you can use it on your lap, so we'll call it... a "laptop tablet with permanently attached keyboard and legacy ports" sounds better. Nah, too long...let's shorten it to "laptop". The logical conclusion of "innovation."

• Reply 45 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

I agree 100%.  The interface is absolutely horrid and unusable and has failed on the Zune and Windows Phone already.  How much more money are Microsoft's shareholders going to let Ballmer piss away on yet another failure.

The metro interface has received some pretty positive reviews even from Apple fans in the media. Microsoft and its partners surely haven't shipped anywhere near as many phones as they would have liked, but I don't think that has anything to do with the interface. It has more to do with them getting into the market so late and losing so much ground on their biggest competitors.

I applaud Microsoft for at least trying to do something different with their UI, unlike Android.

Anyway I've just pre-ordered a Surface tablet. I'm willing to give this a chance. Since I held off upgrading the iPad 3 this year, this gives me the opportunity to try something different. 

• Reply 46 of 155
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Quote:

Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

To be honest, this looks really desirable at first glance (or on the 'surface' heh), but I'm so weary about how well it'll be executed. On the hardware side, I wonder how well the tactile feedback will be on that cover, how much wear it can take, or how dirty it'll get. As for performance, I like to see how it stacks up in terms of battery life etc. Looks great as a concept, but can't wait to see how well it actually does.

Seeing this is the price for RT tablets, how much will the full fledged Win8 one be? Several hundred more at the very least I imagine, putting it above iPad pricing.

The Real issue with the keyboard is at what point do people hate it once they realize their finger tips get snore from banging into the hard surface. Besides the tactile feedback the regular keyboard provided the keys allow your fingers to de-accelerate so you do not bottom out and hit hard. This had been the trade off for years on how small of a keystrock you can make and still make it usable.

This thin keyboard is not new, there have been membrane keyboards for a long time and they have not been successful, why because you can not type on them long. They are okay for short durations but if you type on these thin keyboard for a long time your finger hurt and your hand gets fatigue. Look at this way, if this was the way to go, Laptop would have done it a long time ago to make the thinner, bit they too still use a traditional keyboard, because it works well. 

• Reply 47 of 155
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

I know the Internet is going to be alive with comparisons between the Surface and the iPad and no one really wants to hear it but .....

... technically, nothing Microsoft is offering is truly a 'tablet" or a "post PC" device. These are all, without exception, convertible or hybrid laptops.  

Even the RT ones with the keyboard cover contain essential system software and apps that in some cases, cannot be manipulated unless you attach a mouse.  They also only operate in landscape mode.  

These are hybrid laptops, not tablets.  Microsoft's answer to the "post PC device" is to create a portable PC that imitates certain 'Post PC' features.  

This is a perfectly valid strategy, but it ain't no tablet.  

• Reply 48 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

The metro interface has received some pretty positive reviews even from Apple fans in the media. Microsoft and its partners surely haven't shipped anywhere near as many phones as they would have liked, but I don't think that has anything to do with the interface. It has more to do with them getting into the market so late and losing so much ground on their biggest competitors.

I applaud Microsoft for at least trying to do something different with their UI, unlike Android.

Anyway I've just pre-ordered a Surface tablet. I'm willing to give this a chance. Since I held off upgrading the iPad 3 this year, this gives me the opportunity to try something different. 

Yeah at least they are doing their own thing to some degree.  I just don't see a reason right now to own one.  Not with the support behind the Ipad and the refinement Apple has put into the thing.  

Surface will do a few things better though I'm sure.  MOstly because Apple doesn't have said feature.  But I mostly use mine casually for surfing and email checking.  The keyboard cover looks nice,  but they always show it sitting on a table.  It doesn't look like it will work on your lap.  I very rarely use the Ipad while seated at a table.

Anyway which Surface did you order? RT or Win8?

• Reply 49 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

... Only a fraction of people buy Mac don't forget.

Roughly one out of four consumer purchases of a computer in the United States last year was a Mac.  World-wide (including business purchases), it's more like 10% Macs overall.  

Macs no longer occupy a "tiny fraction" of the computer landscape.  

If you include iDevices, the numbers are actually getting into the "huge" category really.  

• Reply 50 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip1ex View Post

Yeah at least they are doing their own thing to some degree.  I just don't see a reason right now to own one.  Not with the support behind the Ipad and the refinement Apple has put into the thing.  

Surface will do a few things better though I'm sure.  MOstly because Apple doesn't have said feature.  But I mostly use mine casually for surfing and email checking.  The keyboard cover looks nice,  but they always show it sitting on a table.  It doesn't look like it will work on your lap.  I very rarely use the Ipad while seated at a table.

Anyway which Surface did you order? RT or Win8?

RT. That's all you can buy atm. Pro version (Win 8) arrives in three months.

• Reply 51 of 155
    Let the Microsoft business partners alienation begin!
  • Reply 52 of 155

Here's what I predict:

Surface will release much to the delight of Microsoft fanatics everywhere. Everyone one of them will buy one touting it as the second coming...everyone else will be confused as to what it can and can't do and what it will run and won't run. This will probably turn into another Windows Vista style "Confusegate" where the general public didn't know the difference between "Vista Ready" and "Vista Capable". Obviously that wasn't the entire issue with Vista...but I'm sure that had a hand in its demise. Also, Surface ads will likely try to ape Apple ads or be completely campy and horrible to watch. Surface Launch Party anyone?! 

I would love to see this thing actually compete against the iPad, but I'm afraid Microsoft just doesn't have it in them to actually do anything successful anymore. I want to think that 16GB more over the iPad is going to be enough to trump it, but I have a feeling the UX and SW are going to down this thing. It will surprise me if this thing actually takes off. It just seems like MS wants to be like Apple so badly while poking fun at Apple like Apple is the old MS and MS is the old Apple and is the underdog now. They're the underdog now cause they can't do anything good/right anymore and anything they do correctly, just doesn't seem to help much.

I know it's a meme and all that with the "Apple is doom" crap, but really, if MS doesn't succeed with the Surface...it'll be 70-0 in the 4th quarter with MS's 4th Down at the MS 1yrd line with 1 second left on the clock. At that point, Balmer might as well just take a knee and step down. It will be clear that MS is doom at that point.

• Reply 53 of 155
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

I'll wait until the firesale in January.

• Reply 54 of 155
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Surface 32GB - 499 USD
    Full Microsoft Office, USB ports, microsd card support, uHDMI for video out, file browser, flash support, mouse support, double the capacity of the same price iPad. Heck adding a 32GB microsd card for less than 30 USD and you get a 64GB device for less than 600 USD.

oh..and there are way cheaper Windows 8 options than Surface. The Iconia W510 with ATOM is the same price as the 32GB Surface with all the feature set and the 16GB iPad .

I think you have it backwards. You can buy a 16 GB iPad 3 for the same price as the 32 GB Surface. Granted, less capacity, but in exchange, the iPad gives you:

- massive ecosystem of apps
    - Vastly superior customer satisfaction to anything Microsoft has ever done.
    - Superior screen resolution
    - If history is any guide and/or the Surface is comparable to other tablets, the iPad will also have huge advantages in quality of construction and performance.

Most of the advantages you list are either not real (for example, Microsoft has stated that they won't have full Office on the RT models) or are largely useless (Flash - if it even exists on Surface, which I doubt).

Or, you could spend $599 instead of $499 and even Surface's capacity advantage is lost.
  • Reply 55 of 155
    dbtincdbtinc Posts: 134member
    Ho hmmm. Day late and dollar short.
  • Reply 56 of 155
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I maybe wrong but Windows Phone 8 is incompatible with Windows RT which is incompatible with Windows 8! That's a mess and is going to be another barrier to Microsoft succeeding big time in the mobile space like Apple and Google have. But I wouldn't put it passed them pulling it off, its a good overall product/s with great potential.

I do really like Microsoft's Metro interface, its unlike anything else out there and I wish Apple had thought up something similar back when the original iPhone was released just 5 years ago! Amazing, the iPhone's only been around for just over 5 years! Feels like its been around forever. iPad/iOS/Metro interface, that would be a great product.
  • Reply 57 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I think you have it backwards. You can buy a 16 GB iPad 3 for the same price as the 32 GB Surface. Granted, less capacity, but in exchange, the iPad gives you:

- massive ecosystem of apps

- Vastly superior customer satisfaction to anything Microsoft has ever done.

- Superior screen resolution

- If history is any guide and/or the Surface is comparable to other tablets, the iPad will also have huge advantages in quality of construction and performance.

Most of the advantages you list are either not real (for example, Microsoft has stated that they won't have full Office on the RT models) or are largely useless (Flash - if it even exists on Surface, which I doubt).

Or, you could spend $599 instead of $499 and even Surface's capacity advantage is lost.

There is also the hundred bucks extra for the Surface keyboard, making even the 32GB RT one actually $600.  

• Reply 58 of 155

They may have slightly undercut the iPad on price but paying a monthly fee for antivirus negates that. The bollywood style ad is pathetic too

• Reply 59 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Yes, but if this is the low-end consumer model, how much will the entry level pro model be that will run a full version of Windows 8?

This seems more like a netbook to me. I mean, MS has no apps, and will probably be a good two years before they have any kind of Eco-system to compete with Apple or Android (once developers know this thing isn't going to fail). So the only people truly interested in this thing are going to be those who are looking for a laptop replacement in order to use Office, with an optional keyboard and mouse (a mouse which btw will have to be carried around separately). But netbooks can be had for so much less. MS knows their base so well.

Either you and many people don't understand or are still in denial... this isn't about Surface. Surface is just one small part of the bigger picture. This is about Windows (that is the bigger picture: all the devices, all the form factors). Good luck to iOS in the next 2 years in trying to surpass the 90%+ marketshare of Windows.

• Reply 60 of 155

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

I'll wait until the firesale in January.

hahahaha...good one, buddy.