'Infinity Blade: Dungeons' for Apple's iOS delayed until 2013

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
"Infinity Blade: Dungeons," a game that was shown off alongside the new iPad with Retina display in March, may not launch until around the time when Apple's fourth full-size iPad is expected to hit the market.

Epic Games revealed to AllThingsD on Wednesday that the sequel to its popular "Infinity Blade" series won't launch until 2013. The iOS-exclusive game will run on both iPhone and iPad.

"Ever since the talented team at Impossible Studios got their hands on 'Infinity Blade: Dungeons,' they've been adding their great ideas to the game," Epic spokesman Wes Phillips said. "There was also the matter of getting the Impossible Studios team up and running with desks, chairs, staplers and computers. The logistics of a new studio and implementing all these great ideas required a little extra time, so 'Infinity Blade: Dungeons' will hit iOS in 2013."

Apple showcased Epic's latest flagship mobile game back in March on the new iPad with Retina display. The title was used to highlight the graphical power of the latest iPad, offering HDR graphics and tone mapping comparable with game consoles like the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Infinity Blade

The Infinity Blade franchise has become an important part of Apple's presence in the mobile gaming space, where the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch have found considerable success in a market that has long been dominated by Nintendo.

Epic revealed in June that its "Infinity Blade" series, which is exclusive to iOS, has become more profitable than the company's blockbuster "Gears of War" games for Microsoft's Xbox 360. In fact, in terms of man hours versus revenue, "Infinity Blade" is the most profitable game ever made by Epic, which is why CEO Tim Sweeney believes the greatest growth in the gaming industry lies in free-to-play titles.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18

i just can't wait to see what ipad 4 and the new rogue GPU can do together.. now that's kick ass :)

• Reply 2 of 18
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    And here I was just wondering yesterday if the 'Infinity' in the title stood for the length of it's development cycle...
  • Reply 3 of 18
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    What? When the full sized iPad hits the market. You mean my iPad is not full sized. Are you telling me that THIS is the iPad Mini and there will be a bigger one in March.

I'm so confused
  • Reply 4 of 18

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

What? When the full sized iPad hits the market. You mean my iPad is not full sized. Are you telling me that THIS is the iPad Mini and there will be a bigger one in March.

I'm so confused

Hopefully clarified now.

• Reply 5 of 18
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    I assume you meant "corrected", not "clarified". Or am I really missing something here.
    I'm even MORE confused.
  • Reply 6 of 18

Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

I assume you meant "corrected", not "clarified". Or am I really missing something here.

I'm even MORE confused.

I didn't correct anything, because what it said wasn't wrong. I simply made it more clear.

• Reply 7 of 18
    bill42bill42 Posts: 131member
    color me confused as well. Maybe there is a 21 inch iPad coming out.
  • Reply 8 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

I'm even MORE confused.

You have to note that TS only modified the article text in the forums, not on the original article on the AI site. He is a forum mod, so can't modified posted articles. The forum version of the article now says "may not launch until around the time when Apple's fourth full-size iPad is expected to hit the market."

• Reply 9 of 18

Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

You have to note that TS only modified the article text in the forums, not on the original article on the AI site. He is a forum mod, so can't modified posted articles.

Right, yeah, sorry; I can't do that.

• Reply 10 of 18

"...the time when Apple's fourth full-size iPad is expected to hit the market."

Fine on the All-Comments page, but the opening paragraph on the main screen is still missing the 'fourth' qualifier, or is that clarification? It may qualify as a correction, since 'Apple's full size iPad' has been around for a few years. 

Whatever, there it is.

Next!

• Reply 11 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Right, yeah, sorry; I can't do that.

Hey, TS.

Can you change a random part of one of the articles to read, 'DaHarder Sux!'?

I'd buy that for a dollar.

(Just joking!)

• Reply 12 of 18
    Totally stupid article... what is a full-size iPad if not the current iPad that is on the market? If you guys are going to pretend to be journalists, at least learn how to write properly.
  • Reply 13 of 18

Infinity Blade: Dungeons-gate.

• Reply 14 of 18
    mf99mf99 Posts: 1member
    Totally stupid article... what is a full-size iPad if not the current iPad that is on the market? If you guys are going to pretend to be journalists, at least learn how to write properly.

I'll think you'll find they mean the next full iPad release, i.e the iPad 4th gen.

In any case this is terrible news for anyone with an iPad 3rd gen as they showcased this game on the iPad 3rd gen, only now for it to come out on the 4th gen, running and looking better on that too I bet!
  • Reply 15 of 18
    What a massive kick in the crotch, I've been checking their website and the App Store daily to see if it was released. Oh well guess I will have to find another "next big game" to look forward to in the mean time.
  • Reply 16 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Ever since the talented team at Impossible Studios got their hands on 'Infinity Blade: Dungeons,' they've been adding their great ideas to the game," Epic spokesman Wes Phillips said.

That comment worries me a bit. Adding their debuging skills fine, but adding their 'great ideas' makes me afraid that much of it will end up being junk that could have been left out or put into a followup game once the studio was up and running properly

• Reply 17 of 18

I've got a problem with this quote, which is clearly bullshitus maximus:

"There was also the matter of getting the Impossible Studios team up and running with desks, chairs, staplers and computers."

Um... yeah, right. That takes a week, maximum, morons! Need a new office manager much?

Liars.

• Reply 18 of 18
    Infinity Blade: Dungeons-gate.

LOL!

Classic!