Microsoft says Surface screen outperforms iPad Retina display

Comments

• Reply 21 of 150
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Resolution.
    "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
  • Reply 22 of 150
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    dr_lha wrote: »
    Really, their arguing that sub-pixel rendering of fonts is better than a high-DPI screen? Talk about drinking the kool-aid.

Is that what they are saying? Cleartype subpixel anti-aliasing is clearly not a function of the display (except in the sense that it needs a display with subpixels), so, to me, when they list "ClearType HD display" in the specs, they are misappropriating their own marketing terms for something only tangentially related which in this case seems to be whatever they used for the decreased reflections (perhaps in-cell touch?).

Ideally, of course, we would have both subpixel-AA and the high-DPI screen (a combination currently only available on the rMBP, IIRC).
  • Reply 23 of 150
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

I didn't think the Reality Distortion Field was now being used by Microsoft. 

Screen Resolution = You're Perceiving it Wrong. 

• Reply 24 of 150
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Has any tech writer/reviewer gotten their hands on this thing outside of a Microsoft controlled environment?

I'm seeing all these stories about the $499 32GB model being sold out but that's meaningless when we don't know how many MS have available for sale. It's a new product for them so they have no sales history to go off of in determining now many to have available at launch. I'll bet the people ordering this don't know that the 32GB is more like 20GB because Windows RT and Office take up ~12GB. All these stories about Surface providing twice the storage for the same price as the iPad are bunk.

Don't forget the hundred bucks extra for the keyboard.  :)

• Reply 25 of 150
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Is it true that Microsoft has classified this new display as 'Rectumal Display?'
  • Reply 26 of 150

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Is it true that Microsoft has classified this new display as 'Rectumal Display?'

Retchina display, I thought.

• Reply 27 of 150
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    This is nothing more than people marketing what they have. It is no different than Steve's comments about smaller tablets. Neither this MS guy nor Steve seriously believed what they where saying, it just reflects the reality that you can only sell what you have.
  • Reply 28 of 150
    tcaseytcasey Posts: 199member

give the 1.8 billion to charity..

• Reply 29 of 150
    Microsoft Sirocco. Blows harder than even Vista.

Apart from that, I understand the argument about PPT. It is, after, about convincing corporations to stay inside the .Net environment.
  • Reply 30 of 150
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    A compelling product it may be. But that doesn't mean the screen "outperforms" the iPad's. Please.
  • Reply 31 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Don't forget the hundred bucks extra for the keyboard.  :)

Because, clearly, iPad has 32GB left for your own stuff after you've installed iWork and counting the iOS...

That's such a dishonest argument. You ought to say that ipad takes ~9GB OS+iWork where the (more complete) Office, Windows and the .Net environment take 14GB, saving ineffect space that is "stolen" on iOS by code that's uneeded on Windows due to ... .Net environment.

Understand me well: I won't get Surface, iPad is clearly superior. I'm just taking that argument you raised as not good enough.

• Reply 32 of 150
    I nearly hit the floor laughing after reading that engineer's bs. SMMFH!
  • Reply 33 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by rivertrip View Post

MS is in trouble if their engineers don't understand the difference between a display and a font smoothing algorithm.

They never said that a display IS a font smoothing algorithm, but that the users couldn't make the difference between their substandard screen with the algorithm running, and a better screen. If that's true... we'll see.

I bet on user intelligence, on this.

• Reply 34 of 150

Double post.

• Reply 35 of 150
    Not to mention that ClearType, because it uses sub-pixel optimizations (which are physically set) is sensitive to display orientation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ClearType#Sensitivity_to_display_orientation).

So good luck with ClearType once you're not orientating the device how that optimization expects you to.

Hi-density displays like Retina Display on the other hand (mostly) voids the needs for such techniques and thus are orientation agnostic.
  • Reply 36 of 150
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Because, clearly, iPad has 32GB left for your own stuff after you've installed iWork and counting the iOS...
    That's such a dishonest argument. You ought to say that ipad takes ~9GB OS+iWork where the (more complete) Office, Windows and the .Net environment take 14GB, saving ineffect space that is "stolen" on iOS by code that's uneeded on Windows due to ... .Net environment.
    Understand me well: I won't get Surface, iPad is clearly superior. I'm just taking that argument you raised as not good enough.
    Since when has iWork been pre-installed on iPads? I don't think I can purchase Surface without Office.
  • Reply 37 of 150
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

So... in other words, Microsoft admits that their display is lame and that they are still relying on the philosophy that "users are stupid" (something I was taught taking classes for MCSE cert.).

Cleartype meaning a certain boldness and shadow to the font. wow. Crazy.

I'd prefer a display that doesn't need nasty looking fonts, thank you.

And then talking about reflections? As if their display is better because of reflections?

Seriously?

The sad thing is when you have a Scarface and put it next to the iPad, the Retina Display, the MS product looks like donkey doo.

But then, MS will start extolling the virtues of donkey doo...

"Scarface"?   Good one.  HAHAHA.

M$ always manages to do something cheap.  It's their nature.  M$ has never been a mfg that I would equate high quality.  They seem like the kind of company that will go cheap so they can make money.  I'm wondering how long they can keep their Scareface product on the market before they cave.   At the rate the rest of the PC industry is going, Microsoft might have to start designing desktops and laptop computers with their name on it instead of having to rely on Dell, HP, and others.  I wonder how much fall out there will be in the PC industry. IBM started the trend when they sold off to Lenovo.  Abandon ship!!!!

• Reply 38 of 150

This seems like preemptive damage control to me.  Most companies don't release stats like this over a device that hasn't been released unless there's a reason to.  If the screen looks that good it would come out in the reviews.  As it sits now this feels like an attempt to get ahead of negative publicity surrounding the display.  

Time will tell... 

• Reply 39 of 150

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Since when has iWork been pre-installed on iPads? I don't think I can purchase Surface without Office.

Buy the real computer Surface. It doesn't come with Office.

Heck, the tablet CPU Surface doesn't even have it, either. It's just a partial release preview ("full" Office available for free "when it's done").

• Reply 40 of 150

Don't look at the man behind the curtain folks. There is nothing to see there.

The way Panasonic solved the "screen door effect" for the pixalization problem on their Projectors was to make the picture "fuzzy". 

Think of smearing Vaseline on your eyeglasses.