Microsoft says Surface screen outperforms iPad Retina display

Comments

• Reply 81 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

You mean this one? ;¬)

This image is so scary primarily because of their facial expressions.  I don't understand why they weren't directed to smile and act like they were actually happy to be holding the device rather than trying too hard to look "hard".  You can't pull off "gangsta hard" as an 8 year old in a Catholic school uniform.

• Reply 82 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

This:

sounds counterintuitive, and cringeworthy excuse. But it might not be entirely impossible to pull off a perceptual prank on the human brain.

There are a couple of ways to tweak a lower resolution display to appear to have a higher resolution: assuming the photos are exactly the same and contain sufficient resolution. I'm assuming that they didn't display the photos at 1:1 ratio between photo pixels and display pixels. They probably took a full sized photo (12-24MP for typical DSLR) and allowed the device's software to scale the photo down to fit the device's screens. Depending on the algorithm used, this downscaling can affect the perceived sharpness of the image. If Microsoft boosted the contrast, or even applied tricks such as unsharp masking to the image as part of the downscaler, it would create the perception of "more detail." People perceive "detail" when there's high frequency changes in the luminance channel, so it could be something as simple as Microsoft's downscaler subsampling (as opposed to averaging the luminance of neighboring) pixels.

Either way, it sounds like the same arguments that we heard when Samsung swore PenTile = more resolution. Let it go, Microsoft. You don't have a retina display.

ClearType is not a prank. It works by taking advantage of the fact that each pixel is made up of 3 sub-pixels (RGB). Instead of controlling individual pixels to display fonts, ClearType controls intensity of subpixels, effectively gaining more resolution. It's clever (and patented) technology. The Quartz rendering engine in Mac OS does something similar but I don't know if it is employed in iOS. Adobe also uses a similar technology called CoolType in its PDF viewer. So I don't quite get why Microsoft thinks ClearType gives a unique advantage to Surface and Windows 8.

Furthermore, I don't see how ClearType can make a a highres photograph look better than on a RD-iPad.

• Reply 83 of 150
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    cycomiko wrote: »
    he was trying to make a like for like comparison

WInRTinc Office = 14gb
    iOS + iWorks software = ?? gb

both are taking space from their advertised capacities, 32gb is never, ever, 32gb of user accessible space.
    I get that. But since iWork isn't pre-loaded it wouldn't count against the advertised storage. And yes I know the advertised space is always more than the actual space but on the iPad there's maybe 2GB difference where with the Surface it's much more significant. Hence why they don't even offer a 16GB model.
  • Reply 84 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shameer Mulji View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I think your figure for iOS is wrong! i have a 64 GB iPad 3... I just checked and it says the capacity is 57.2 GB after the iOS. So, instead.of ~9 GB OS it is <7 GB for IOS 6.

One could also argue that iWorkis usable on an iPad whereas MS Office is not usable on the Windows RT Surface

That depends on how you define usable.  If by usable you mean, that the app was written from the ground up to take advantage of the multi-touch UI, then yes iWork more than likely is more usable than Office on RT, even though Office will have a touch mode. If by usable you mean functionality, then I disagree.  I have yet to see any other productivity software out there (with the exception of Keynote) that can the functionality of Office. Remember too, the version of Office for Windows RT is not watered down.  It has nearly all of the features of the standard version minus some enterprise specific features.  And you will be getting that for free.

Well, I've never used it...  But here's an expert who has:

Why bother? The sad state of Office 2013 touch support

Office 2013 makes concessions to tablet users, but they're far too few.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/07/why-bother-the-sad-state-of-office-2013-touch-support/

• Reply 85 of 150
    rainrain Posts: 538member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Microsoft blows. The only area the Surface outperforms the iPad is in blowing real hard.

Still, it would be nice if Apple got rid of their 'glaring' problem.

Now they are advertising "less glare" instead of fixing the problem.

The Microsoft engineer has a point.

You can trash the company and its products all you want, but still, he has a point.

I hope Apple wakes up and offers non-glossy displays soon. The reason they aren't is to force the sale of Mac Pro's to professionals - who can buy functional 'non-glossy' displays to go with them.

We won't see a non-glossy iMac until they kill the Mac Pro.

• Reply 86 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacCentric View Post

This image is so scary primarily because of their facial expressions.  I don't understand why they weren't directed to smile and act like they were actually happy to be holding the device rather than trying too hard to look "hard".  You can't pull off "gangsta hard" as an 8 year old in a Catholic school uniform.

Since when has a little girl in a school uniform ever been classified as "scary" to anyone?  well other than in a zombie movie.

• Reply 87 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I get that. But since iWork isn't pre-loaded it wouldn't count against the advertised storage. And yes I know the advertised space is always more than the actual space but on the iPad there's maybe 2GB difference where with the Surface it's much more significant. Hence why they don't even offer a 16GB model.

2gb my iphone has ,more space than that taken up, let alone a ipad3

• Reply 88 of 150
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rain View Post

Still, it would be nice if Apple got rid of their 'glaring' problem.

Apple's problem? More like every Gorilla Glass device's problems. Apple has already show up major improvement on the iPhone 5 screens, beside anyone can solve this with an antiglare screen protector.  

Microsoft can claim anything they want, we don't know yet how better Surface's screen is when compared side by side to the iPad, Microsoft has not give anyone a chance to try it before the launching day.

• Reply 89 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

he was trying to make a like for like comparison

WInRTinc Office = 14gb

iOS + iWorks software = ?? gb

both are taking space from their advertised capacities, 32gb is never, ever, 32gb of user accessible space.

I get 7.2 GB on my iPad 3 for iOS 6.

Here's what I get for iWork:

344.7 MB  Keynote

349.0 MB  Numbers

297.7 MB  Pages

991.4 MB  iWork Total iPad 1-3, iPhone 1-5
  • Reply 90 of 150
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member

Well I guess since Microsoft thinks that people only use their computers for Excel, PowerPoint and Word, that makes a lot of sense. But I like to watch movies.

• Reply 91 of 150
    I wholeheartedly agree with the microsoft engineer - it is true, Apple's stuff is inferior.
    LOOK OUT - there's another flying pig !
  • Reply 92 of 150
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

You mean this one? ;¬)

She doesn't look too happy, like someone marching into a store to get a refund because she really wanted an iPad and Grandma gave her one of those.

• Reply 93 of 150
    My Subaru can beat a Ferrari across the line in quarter mile if the two cars are 100 yards apart on the starting line, and you stand on the starting line behind the Subie. My car will appear to cross the finish line first from that angle of observation. So my car is faster.
  • Reply 94 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Well I guess since Microsoft thinks that people only use their computers for Excel, PowerPoint and Word, that makes a lot of sense. But I like to watch movies.

This is how MS views their Surface products;

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/10/windows8-laplet-hybrid/

Yes..a laplet.  it can be a laptop when you want it to be for office productivity work and a tablet when you want it to be for more "fun" stuff.  If anything, I guess it can be cheaper than buying a separate laptop and tablet device.  But at the end of the day only the market (and time) will decide if this will turn out to be a success.  I'm optimistic that it will but I could be wrong.  More quality competition is always better.

• Reply 95 of 150

Let me guess, the keyboard has more "effective" travel in the keys than a real laptop keyboard. The whole package is "effectively" thinner than the iPad and is "effectively" lighter than the iPad. In other words, it it heavier, thicker and has a crap keyboard. In stores soon! Get in line!

• Reply 96 of 150
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    cycomiko wrote: »
    Since when has a little girl in a school uniform ever been classified as "scary" to anyone?  well other than in a zombie movie.

Rosemary's baby comes to mind.

J.
  • Reply 97 of 150

Originally Posted by MacCentric View Post

Correct.  A 32 GB iPad reports having a "Capacity" of 28 GB.  iOS then takes up some of that space.

Wait, does iOS still report gibibytes as gigabytes, too? I realize the original foundation was Leopard, which did, but surely they've changed that by now.

• Reply 98 of 150

Apparently, most retailers have no idea what they are selling. Here's an illuminating story from The Verge:  http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/17/3514556/windows-8-vs-windows-rt-surface-confused-microsoft-store-employees

• Reply 99 of 150
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Wait, does iOS still report gibibytes as gigabytes, too? I realize the original foundation was Leopard, which did, but surely they've changed that by now.

iOS has always reported with BASE2 but the NAND capacity rating is based on BASE10, like with HDDs, so you are guaranteed to have at least 16, 32, or 64 billion bytes.

Now in Leopard Mac OS X finally made the plunge and started reporting in Finder with BASE10. At least iTunes and Disk Utility report as BASE2.

Now the system needs BASE2 to properly count but consumers more readily understand BASE10 so I'm perfectly happy with that change, I just wish they went all in for apps that aren't for low-level access, which would mean excluding Terminal and Disk Utility.
  • Reply 100 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shameer Mulji View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

This is how MS views their Surface products;

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/10/windows8-laplet-hybrid/

Yes..a laplet.  it can be a laptop when you want it to be for office productivity work and a tablet when you want it to be for more "fun" stuff.  If anything, I guess it can be cheaper than buying a separate laptop and tablet device.  But at the end of the day only the market (and time) will decide if this will turn out to be a success.  I'm optimistic that it will but I could be wrong.  More quality competition is always better.

The way I understand it:

• At the end of this month, MS will release Windows 8, Office 2013  Preview and the Windows ARM RT Surface Tablet (WART)

• In early 2013 MS will release Office 2013 Official and the Windows 8 Intel Surface Tablet (W8T or W8ST -- Wait or Waste... you choose)

• In July 2013 MS wil release Sinofsky