• Reply 101 of 150
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

History repeats...

Slate MK II

• Reply 102 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The way I understand it:

• At the end of this month, MS will release Windows 8, Office 2013  Preview and the Windows ARM RT Surface Tablet (WART)

• In early 2013 MS will release Office 2013 Official and the Windows 8 Intel Surface Tablet (W8T or W8ST -- Wait or Waste... you choose)

• In July 2013 MS wil release Sinofsky

Lol.  You definitely got the first two right.  The 3rd bullet point, you can replace Sinofsky with Ballmer assuming Win8 is a failure.

• Reply 103 of 150

Honest questions:

What does the user do when the Surface Kickstand breaks?

How do you aim the camera when holding the Surface? In portrait?  In landscape?

How do you use the Snapon Keyboard while standing or sitting on the couch?

• Reply 104 of 150
    cycomiko wrote: »
    Since when has a little girl in a school uniform ever been classified as "scary" to anyone?  well other than in a zombie movie.

The girls in that ad make a good argument for the child catcher in chitty chitty bang bang.
  • Reply 105 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

History repeats...

Slate MK II

Ha!  That video reminds me of the original RIM PlayBook video!

• Reply 106 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shameer Mulji View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

The way I understand it:

• At the end of this month, MS will release Windows 8, Office 2013  Preview and the Windows ARM RT Surface Tablet (WART)

• In early 2013 MS will release Office 2013 Official and the Windows 8 Intel Surface Tablet (W8T or W8ST -- Wait or Waste... you choose)

• In July 2013 MS wil release Sinofsky

Lol.  You definitely got the first two right.  The 3rd bullet point, you can replace Sinofsky with Ballmer assuming Win8 is a failure.

Well... maybe Boof ' em...

Heres the thing(s):

I don't think the WART has much of a chance against the iPad or even Android tablets...  Too little, too late!   And, by what I read, Office 2013 on WART will be usable as a reader -- but little else.

The WAIT has missed this year's enterprise budget cycle, so I don't see any sizable business commitment before August 2013. even then, there is no assurance that enterprise will upgrade to Windows 8 or Office 2013 in any great numbers.  So, the single Windows [8] OS for all your computers and mobile devices is a dream that is unlikely to be realized. 

So, we're left with:  Surface Tablets;  Windows 8;  Office 2013;  and Rin Tin Tin...   that's 3 dogs and a movie star!

• Reply 107 of 150
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    hill60 wrote: »
    History repeats...

[video]

Slate MK II

Even the overflow action on that mockup was wore than the actual shipping product of iOS 1.0 on the original iPhone.
  • Reply 108 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wait, does iOS still report gibibytes as gigabytes, too? I realize the original foundation was Leopard, which did, but surely they've changed that by now.

iOS has always reported with BASE2 but the NAND capacity rating is based on BASE10, like with HDDs, so you are guaranteed to have at least 16, 32, or 64 billion bytes.

Now in Leopard Mac OS X finally made the plunge and started reporting in Finder with BASE10. At least iTunes and Disk Utility report as BASE2.

Now the system needs BASE2 to properly count but consumers more readily understand BASE10 so I'm perfectly happy with that change, I just wish they went all in for apps that aren't for low-level access, which would mean excluding Terminal and Disk Utility.

I've always been in favor of a base 3 numbering system for computers -- the Tertiary Numbering System...  'course we'd need to come up with an acronym to replace BInary digiT...

Or, the aborigine number system... few and many!

• Reply 109 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

History repeats...

Slate MK II

Even the overflow action on that mockup was wore than the actual shipping product of iOS 1.0 on the original iPhone.

Yeah... That tablet gets my vote for the "Meg and Slim" award!

• Reply 110 of 150
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Since when has a little girl in a school uniform ever been classified as "scary" to anyone?  well other than in a zombie movie.

• Reply 111 of 150
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    drblank wrote: »
    "Scarface"?   Good one.  HAHAHA.

M$ always manages to do something cheap.  It's their nature.  M$ has never been a mfg that I would equate high quality.  They seem like the kind of company that will go cheap so they can make money.  I'm wondering how long they can keep their Scareface product on the market before they cave.   At the rate the rest of the PC industry is going, Microsoft might have to start designing desktops and laptop computers with their name on it instead of having to rely on Dell, HP, and others.  I wonder how much fall out there will be in the PC industry. IBM started the trend when they sold off to Lenovo.  Abandon ship!!!!

And Lenovo is making some of the most reliable computers in the world, and I believe they just took over from HP as No. 1 PC brand in the world. So... what is your point?
  • Reply 112 of 150
    8002580025 Posts: 175member

Ah majorcrap, saying something doesn't make it so.

Arrange for a scientific study, provide unbiased data, and cite your sources.

Until then it's just more hot air from Redmond.

• Reply 113 of 150
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Honest questions:

What does the user do when the Surface Kickstand breaks?

How do you aim the camera when holding the Surface? In portrait?  In landscape?

How do you use the Snapon Keyboard while standing or sitting on the couch?
    But it would never break. It's made out of durable VaporMg. Microsoft says you can hold Surface by the touch cover, shake it violently and it won't snap off. Because of course that's what people do with their tablets.
  • Reply 114 of 150
    techboytechboy Posts: 183member

The tech world can be funny some days...if you release a product not as good as someone else's and price it higher, you simply claim your current hardware and/or software is "superior" with existing technology. ClearType is soooo 1998. Higher resolution does make a difference on displays, does MS QA their products? Go get buy some clues MS!

• Reply 115 of 150
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Can someone explain why Microsoft is charging you $20 more for a colored touch cover? The packaged models only come in black. If you want color you have to purchase the $499 model with the $120 color cover. And the 64GB model isn't offered for $599 without a cover so if you want a colored or type cover you're spending an additional $120-$130 on top of the $699, even if you never wanted the black touch cover in the first place. What a rip off.
  • Reply 116 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacCentric View Post

This image is so scary primarily because of their facial expressions.  I don't understand why they weren't directed to smile and act like they were actually happy to be holding the device rather than trying too hard to look "hard".  You can't pull off "gangsta hard" as an 8 year old in a Catholic school uniform.

I think you are being far too literal. The sequence with the "gangsta" school girls was hilarious exactly because of its absurdity. Well done Microsoft.

• Reply 117 of 150

The fact that these things are for sale, but no reviews have been released, speaks volumes to the type of product we're discussing.

When Apple releases an iPad, it shows us wonderful, humanitarian videos of how their products are changing the world. We see musicians mixing, we see families keeping in touch using FaceTime, and those in the media are given the devices prior to release so that the reviews hit at the same time as the product. Add to all of this MS' silly display PR disaster, and you can quickly see that the Surface is going to go the way of the Zune. In terms of pricing, MS isn't thinking as clearly as its supposed ClearType display. $120 for a keyboard cover? That would be high for an Apple product, let alone one containing MS branding.

The product has some unique features and holds promise, but so far MS is not executing well on the marketing front.

• Reply 118 of 150
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    The fact that these things are for sale, but no reviews have been released, speaks volumes to the type of product we're discussing.

I'm under the impression they'll be on sale in about 2 weeks.
  • Reply 119 of 150
    gridgrid Posts: 21member
    Microsoft says lots of things.....
  • Reply 120 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shameer Mulji View Post

I'm willing to bet there are key members of the media / tech blogs that are doing hand-on testing as we speak and reviews will be out by middle of next week.  I for one think the Surface looks like a very compelling device. 

Yeah, it repels me too...