iPhone dominates smartphone Web traffic with 46% share, report says

24

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 61


    Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

    you do realize that in May 2012 it was 74% iOS and 26% android... how is this bad news for Google.


     


    You're joking, right? You don't understand how the removal of Google revenue from within OS X is bad news for Google?



    I wish you worked for Google with that mindset. But that's only because I'm not that happy to see them succeed at much. 

  • Reply 22 of 61
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,383member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post


    That's 1/2 of Google's mobile money right there. Google should be bending over to Apple instead of messing with them. All it would take for Apple is to switch the default search engine to Bing in a software update. 75% of iPhone users would probably just leave it on Bing because it's good enough.



    Didn't the Microsoft ad say that most of the users in their own survey prefer Bing in a blind comparison?

  • Reply 23 of 61

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post





    I thought it was an ABBA song.




    +100

  • Reply 24 of 61

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


     


    You're joking, right? You don't understand how the removal of Google revenue from within OS X is bad news for Google?



    I wish you worked for Google with that mindset. But that's only because I'm not that happy to see them succeed at much. 



     


     


    First how exactly you "remove" Google from OSX is a mystery to me... but I'll assume you are talking about iOS. 2nd, the question was how Android going from 26% to 48.27% of web trafic is bad news for Google and they should consider just bending over to Apple. At this rate Apple will not be 1/2 of their mobile revenue.


     


    Also, To enter a market with the mindset that you should simply bend over in a competition because you cant compete before you even try wont serve you well in any job. 

  • Reply 25 of 61
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,373member
    "But…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…but…Samsung shipped sold more!"

    How 'smart' can it be, buying a smartphone and being forced to pay for data… and then never using it…

    It came free in the cereal box?
  • Reply 26 of 61
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,373member
    v5v wrote: »
    One possible interpretation: iPhones are less efficient with bandwidth than competing products, resulting in them representing the largest chunk of data consumption.

    I doubt it, think of all the viruses calling come on Androids!
  • Reply 27 of 61


    The question remains - what are people doing with their Galaxy S?

  • Reply 28 of 61
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post





    I doubt it, think of all the viruses calling come on Androids!




    You've never owned an Android phone, have you? 


     


    I bet there's as many iOS viruses as Android viruses, the iOS ones are just hiding on jailbroken phones.  To actually get a virus on an Android phone, you need to be pretty damn stupid... 

  • Reply 29 of 61
    To clarify for people that are confused.
    The article refers to SMARTPHONE web traffic.. In which Apple leads slightly.

    The previous article you mention referred to MOBILE DEVICE web traffic and includes the iPad and Android tablets etc.

    Apples share including iPads continues to dominate and had not fallen as you suggest.
    I would position it for you that people that buy smartphones with the intention of using them as such tend to buy iPhones and that Android sales figures are largely made up of people that come into a store to buy a cheap phone, and get sold an Android smartphone because there is a dearth of alternatives at the low end of the market. These buyers do not intend to use the Internet on there phones hence Androids poor figures.

    If Apple produced a cheaper phone Android sales would be cut in half. (Think IPhone mini not 4/4S... Even when people buy a cheap phone they want it to be a new cheap phone - I don't know why Apple don't get this!)

    -from someone who works in retail and understands how the telco industry works.
  • Reply 30 of 61
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member


    The real reason is that there is simply a larger variety of Android phones.  The GSIII will never have more market share than any iPhone, because it shares the Android eco-system with the Note II, the HTC One X, various Motorola paperweights, etc... 

     

  • Reply 31 of 61


    Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

    The real reason is that there is simply a larger variety of Android phones.


     


    The graph shows all Android phones together have less traffic than all iPhones together. Explain this, when Android has "sold" more.

  • Reply 32 of 61
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,716member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post



    Clearly the stats are forming a pro-Apple conspiracy.




    It appears that statistics have been drinking the kool aid.


     


    If Jobs were alive, the iphone would account for >50%.


     


    /s

  • Reply 33 of 61

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by agramonte View Post


     


    you do realize that in May 2012 it was 74% iOS and 26% android... how is this bad news for Google.


     


    http://www.bgr.com/2012/05/25/apples-mobile-web-traffic-smartphone-tablet/



     


    The 74% represented all iOS traffic - iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch. Today's figure, is just mobile phones.

  • Reply 34 of 61

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by brianloftus View Post


     


    The 74% represented all iOS traffic - iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch. Today's figure, is just mobile phones.



     


    No it does not...


     


    From May 25th, 2012


     


    "Chitika found that a whopping 95% of tablet Web traffic came from a version of Apple’s iPad, and 72% of smartphone traffic also belongs to Apple, compared to 26% for Android..."


     


    You see that ", and" there dividing the sentence? a new thought starts from that point on.

  • Reply 35 of 61
    is Samsung cheating again with Galaxy SIII sales numbers?
    This stats in mind i find it quite impossible to believe that Samsung has sold 20 Imo. of the SIII, they are misleading customers, when suggesting that the S3 with Android is a succeding platform.
  • Reply 36 of 61
    archarch Posts: 66member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by agramonte View Post


     


    No it does not...


     


    From May 25th, 2012


     


    "Chitika found that a whopping 95% of tablet Web traffic came from a version of Apple’s iPad, and 72% of smartphone traffic also belongs to Apple, compared to 26% for Android..."


     


    You see that ", and" there dividing the sentence? a new thought starts from that point on.





    There is a mistake/typo in that article. Chitika website clearly shows the 72% of mobile (includes iPad, iPhone, iPod) not smartphone.


     


    http://insights.chitika.com/uploads/android_vs_ios.png


    http://insights.chitika.com/2012/mobile-usage-update-ios-users-responsible-for-72-of-all-mobile-traffic/


    http://insights.chitika.com/page/7/

  • Reply 37 of 61
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,744member


    But Apple's peaked . . . or something. 

  • Reply 38 of 61


    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

    But Apple's peaked . . . or something. 


     


    Oh, they've piqued, all right. Interests!

  • Reply 39 of 61
    MacProMacPro Posts: 18,373member
    mikeb85 wrote: »

    You've never owned an Android phone, have you? 

    I bet there's as many iOS viruses as Android viruses, the iOS ones are just hiding on jailbroken phones.  To actually get a virus on an Android phone, you need to be pretty damn stupid... 

    Well it's a free country but IMHO jail breaking an iPhone would not be something I'd care to do on a device I need to trust and Apple's Eco system and iOS give me that security.
  • Reply 40 of 61
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,449member
    lghulm wrote: »
    I would position it for you that people that buy smartphones with the intention of using them as such tend to buy iPhones and that Android sales figures are largely made up of people that come into a store to buy a cheap phone, and get sold an Android smartphone because there is a dearth of alternatives at the low end of the market. These buyers do not intend to use the Internet on there phones hence Androids poor figures.
    If Apple produced a cheaper phone Android sales would be cut in half. (Think IPhone mini not 4/4S... Even when people buy a cheap phone they want it to be a new cheap phone - I don't know why Apple don't get this!)
    -from someone who works in retail and understands how the telco industry works.
    I don't really follow this ... The iPhone 4 is FREE. How much cheaper can you get?

    Do you mean people who use pre-paid phones, or people who opt out of a 2-year contract and pay the unsubsidized full price? Or are you talking people who have broken their phones while under contract and need a cheap replacement until they qualify for an upgrade? Because the vast majority of cell phone users get contracts, that's how they get cheap phones. In which case, why not the iPhone 4?
Sign In or Register to comment.