Microsoft airs first Surface ad as part of $1B Windows 8 marketing campaign

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 145
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    This company continues to be embarrassingly unexceptional. This ad is about as bad as it gets. BTW, the keypad cover (which they somehow think is unique, even though they are available for iPads too) is in fact an accessory as you have to pay extra to get one on the base model. Duh!
  • Reply 142 of 145
    rumpels wrote: »
    Marketing a good product is easy. Just show what things you can do with it (with the tablet).

Marketing a mediocre product is difficult. You have to add all these lights, effects, dancing, and others distractions just to make the product look kind of good. That's part of the problem Microsoft has.

The problem I see with Microsoft is that they don't really innovate. To enter the tablet market, ok, no problem there. But when they advertise it on commercials, why can't they just show people what can we do with their tablet? What does a bunch of dancing people have to do with my use of the surface? And the magnetic cover... Do you expect me to take that as something that has not been thought of yet by display the use of it so prominently on the commercial? Do you think I will be putting together and apart the keyboard and the tablet that much during the day? What about just showing me how nicely Microsoft Office can work on the Surface? That could be a nice thing!

The only and very only thing that I like about the surface is the integration of the keyboard on the cover. Neither Apple or Samsung or HTC or any of the others have done that. But we still need to see how it will affect the battery life of the Surface. I applaud Microsoft for coming up with that idea.

I like this post, except for the last paragraph! This [the snapon kb] is a gimmick necessitated by having not done a proper job of making a tablet OS.
  • Reply 143 of 145
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member

Microsoft is so horribly out of touch it's comical.  Windows 8 is a decent system, it's fast and stable.  But still needs some UI tweaks.  I like the metro tiles, but the multitasking in metro mode sucks.  And their advertising is terrible. 

Simply advertising that the Surface has a real version of MS Office would likely get them to their sales target.  People don't buy Microsoft products because they're cool, people buy them because they're useful.  This commercial makes them look silly and out of touch, and makes the Surface look like a gimmick, not something that could potentially be useful. 

• Reply 144 of 145

USD 1 billion ad campaign. These users better all get their hands on the Surface! I personally like the video. I might be switching my old vaio for a Surface - who knows. :)

• Reply 145 of 145
    rangerboar wrote: »
    USD 1 billion ad campaign. These users better all get their hands on the Surface! I personally like the video. I might be switching my old vaio for a Surface - who knows. :)

Certainly not the Surface WART?

And it will be interesting to see if the Surface WAIT can compete with the MBA.