Users experiencing graphical glitch with iPhone 5 virtual keyboard

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Users have noticed a glitch specific to Apple's iPhone 5 in which a portion of the display flickers when the touchscreen keyboard is invoked.

In a growing thread on the Apple Support Communities website, users have been tracking the issue since the iPhone 5 first went on sale in late September. Users have also posted videos on YouTube demonstrating the issue.

AppleInsider was also able to replicate the flickering glitch, though not with regularity. The issue appears to arise when users invoke the numbers and symbols keyboard by pressing the ".?123" button in the bottom left corner of the device in portrait mode.

Further, the issue is believed to only occur when users are prompted to enter their Apple ID password, such as when downloading content from the App Store. And the glitch does not appear every time users access the numbers and symbols keyboard when entering an Apple ID password.

Because the issue is restricted to such specific circumstances, it's likely that the glitch is a software error, rather than a problem with the 4-inch Retina display on the iPhone 5.

Users posting on Apple's support website say they have not been able to experience the screen glitch on an older device, such as the iPhone 4S, running the latest iOS 6 operating system.

One user, "Daivian825," said they spoke to Apple's technical support, and they suggested conducting a hard reset of the iPhone 5, by holding the power button and home buttons at the same time. However, that method did not resolve the issue

AppleInsider reached out to Apple on Thursday for a comment on the software glitch. This story will be updated if the company provides a statement.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Anyone with this "error" need to realise that they're looking at their screen wrongly. If you find you see this with the keyboard then don't use it that way.
  • Reply 2 of 48
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

I wouldn't call that an "issue". It's bug, nothing very important...

• Reply 3 of 48

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    Noticed this on day one. On mine and on my wife's.

• Reply 4 of 48

KeyboardGate. better dump all your Apple stock :>)

• Reply 5 of 48

I've seen this on mine from time to time. Minor minor bug that will get fixed I'm sure. Hardly worth even mentioning.

• Reply 6 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

I wouldn't call that an "issue". It's bug, nothing very important...

Indeed. I would say that the 'bug' causing the store not to connect is more of an issue. The 'bug' causing the music app to not refresh the play button to a pause one appropriately, to take as much as 10 seconds to play a song picked off your track list or to jump as many as 5 songs when you hit track forward to be an issue. And certainly whatever is going on with cell data not switching to wifi on ATT phones so you use up hundreds of dollars in data if you aren't one of the lucky few on an unlimited plan to be an issue. 

this little hiccup is annoying but that's all

• Reply 7 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Apple should hire this team that spends all day looking for any minor thing on Apple products and put them in their quality control department. Perhaps Samsung and Google don't pay them all that much and they could be had for cheap?
  • Reply 8 of 48
    I'm pretty sure this is a software issue because in addition to observing this issue on two iPhone 5's it's also happened on my new iPad. It doesn't happen often but I hope it gets fixed soon.
  • Reply 9 of 48
    I am shocked that this was not skewered in the SNL iPhone skit last weekend.
  • Reply 10 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Indeed. I would say that the 'bug' causing the store not to connect is more of an issue. The 'bug' causing the music app to not refresh the play button to a pause one appropriately, to take as much as 10 seconds to play a song picked off your track list or to jump as many as 5 songs when you hit track forward to be an issue. And certainly whatever is going on with cell data not switching to wifi on ATT phones so you use up hundreds of dollars in data if you aren't one of the lucky few on an unlimited plan to be an issue. 

this little hiccup is annoying but that's all

Experienced once when writing a text.

• Reply 11 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Anyone with this "error" need to realise that they're looking at their screen wrongly. If you find you see this with the keyboard then don't use it that way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kozchris View Post

KeyboardGate. better dump all your Apple stock :>)

Such original wit.

• Reply 12 of 48
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I’m the last person to pile on every tale of Apple doom, but this really crosses the line. I can no longer deny that Apple is making ever more colossal blunders, while their competition edges closer to the perfect experience. AppleIDBriefFlickerGate would never have happened at Motorola or Google or Microsoft—and certainly not under Steve Jobs. Someone needs to be fired, but I’malready gone: flicker-free Android UI, here I come!
  • Reply 13 of 48
    I get this glitch when I expand folders every now and again. I just close the folder and move on.
  • Reply 14 of 48
    Ya, I have this issue on my iPhone 5. Hoping it's software only and quickly remedied.
  • Reply 15 of 48

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

Such original wit.

Because the aggrandizing of every insignificant problem into UX-shattering nonsense is certainly original.

• Reply 16 of 48
    bill42bill42 Posts: 131member

I am glad I saw this article, as I thought my iPhone might be having a hardware issue.

Now that I know it is just a bug all worries are gone.

• Reply 17 of 48

I've only had this happen to me so far in the App Store, when entering the password for my AppleID account to purchase a new app. I need to take a closer look at it next time it occurs, but I think the virtual keyboard in that situation pops up over a light background image. Could be a bug in their algorithms used to calculate transparency.

• Reply 18 of 48
    I got the same problem couple times when enter the password for the appstore. However, my friend doesnt have a problem with that at all. Now i know i m not the only one
  • Reply 19 of 48
    Did you press Ctrl alt delete?
    Otherwise, it's time to reinstall Windows. /s
  • Reply 20 of 48
    crhain88 wrote: »
    I get this glitch when I expand folders every now and again. I just close the folder and move on.

I've experienced the "static" on both my keyboard and when expanding folders. Not a huge deal, but disconcerting the first time I saw it since I didn't know if something was wrong with the display itself.

(Verizon iPhone 5, 32 GB, white)