Microsoft says Surface screen outperforms iPad Retina display

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 150
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

Not to mention antivirus. 

Android is a relatively young OS, and it has plenty of malware issues. Now think about how many damn patches come out for desktop Windows every month.

"Surface patch KB891396: A remote exploit can enable malicious code execution."

"Surface has pending updates and will automatically restart in 2 hours. Tap here for details..."

"Surface has pending updates and will automatically restart in 1 hour. Tap here for details..."

I was going to add defrag, but flash memory performance is mainly handled at the controller level, far below software's reach.

• Reply 142 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

Or I could just clip a keyboard onto the iPad.

I have two concerns with the Surface:

1. I haven't seen any indication that it works well in portrait mode

2. The kickstand seems to be fixed at one position.

Again, it's hard to judge how good or bad it is because MS doesn't seem very keen on letting people review it.

I'm well aware of the many keyboard accessories for the iPad but to me they don't look anywhere as elegant, clean and integrated looking as the Surface with Touch Cover.  If only Apple's Smart Cover had a built-in keyboard.

The reason there's no indication that Surface works well in portrait mode is because it doesn't work well in portrait mode.  The Metro UI is optimized for landscape mode and 16:9 aspect ratio. That's why when you see the ads there's a lot of side-to-side scrolling.  Even the multitasking Snap feature of Metro is optimized for landscape.  That is also why the kickstand is fixed in landscape position.

• Reply 143 of 150

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

They never said that a display IS a font smoothing algorithm, but that the users couldn't make the difference between their substandard screen with the algorithm running, and a better screen. If that's true... we'll see.

I bet on user intelligence, on this.

The claim that the Surface display is better than a Retina display assumes that font smoothing is part of the display firmware. 

• Reply 144 of 150

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet:

NO ONE is going to buy a Surface now that the A6X exists in the real iPad. I mean BOOM. I don't like that Apple did this, but there's no arguing that the word "competition" can't even be put into the same sentence as "iPad" anymore.

• Reply 145 of 150
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet:

NO ONE is going to buy a Surface now that the A6X exists in the real iPad. I mean BOOM. I don't like that Apple did this, but there's no arguing that the word "competition" can't even be put into the same sentence as "iPad" anymore.

A couple things come to mind:

1) Who was going to buy the Surface RT anyway when the iPad (3) kills it and has 275k apps for it?

2) There is still the Surface x86 which no iDevice can compete with for the reasons people would want the Surface x86. That said, I doubt these are too many or a decade of Win tablets would have faired better.

3) The iPad mini comparison to the 7" tablets and the update to the 10" iPad imply that Apple was very much ont eh defensive to keep any competitor from gaining a foothold in this market. As I said in 2010 I think Apple will want to make this an iPod-like market, not an iPhone or Mac-like market where they dominate in profit marketshare but not in unit marketshare.

4a) What comes in the Spring? Another iPad? I don't think so. First of all, they could do an A7 that could be closer to the A15 chip (i.e.: better than the A6) but they are surely on 32nm and 22nm won't come for a couple years and the Rogue 6 GPU is unlikely be ready until next Summer or Fall. I think it's to suck the oxygen out of the tablet room this holiday season -and- because the Rogue 6 GPU won't be ready that we have this update.

4b) But surely there must be something coming in the Spring, right? So new AEBS/TC with 802.11ac and more MIMO, etc? I hope so. But that also needs new Macs to show it off. So the new Mac "tower" and updated 15" RMBP with 802.11ac. Might be a good time to introduce the updated 17" RMBP... if that's even on the table. Even then it's not enough for an event and some apps aren't going to cut it so I'm guessing a new product category. The Apple digibox, perhaps?
  • Reply 146 of 150
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

SolipsismX View Post

Who was going to buy the Surface RT anyway when the iPad (3) kills it and has 275k apps for it?

Microsoft Sells Out of $500 Surface RT Pre-Orders in One Day

Tallest Skil View Post

NO ONE is going to buy a Surface now that the A6X exists in the real iPad.

We are all fans of Apple products, but the above statements are far enough from reality to be near fanboy territory.

There are always plenty of people who don't buy based on specs (a trait Apple markets to when they don't have the best specs), uninformed consumers, and people who buy against Apple for wholly unrelated reasons. I agree that the new iPad is impressive, but let's be realistic; it won't cause Surface sales to be zero, especially in the business world. Even netbooks have a trickle of sales to this day. It shouldn't blow anyone's mind that an individual's tablet selection criteria doesn't always align with Apple's focus areas. Maybe step out of the bubble more often, and not speak in absolutes.

• Reply 147 of 150
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    vorsos wrote: »
    <h4>Microsoft Sells Out of $500 Surface RT Pre-Orders in One Day</h4>

We are all fans of Apple products, but the above statements are far enough from reality to be near fanboy territory.

There are always plenty of people who don't buy based on specs (a trait Apple markets to when they don't have the best specs), uninformed consumers, and people who buy against Apple for wholly unrelated reasons. I agree that the new iPad is impressive, but let's be realistic; it won't cause Surface sales to be zero, especially in the business world. Even netbooks have a trickle of sales to this day. It shouldn't blow anyone's mind that an individual's tablet selection criteria doesn't always align with Apple's focus areas. Maybe step out of the bubble more often, and not speak in absolutes.

1) The Zune sold out, too, and MS issued a statement that the Zune was the best selling PMP during a timeframe.

2) No one expected the Surface not to do well with initial sales. At $500 it's throwaway for many people. Even businesses will buy one to test out. Then you people that will test it out and decide if they want to keep it or return it (as we see with a lot of Android phones).

3) The question is how will sales be months from now. A year from now. I don't think they'll do well if they can't get an ecosystem thriving but they haven't done well with that so far despite that being a good mobile OS.

4) Did you not remember the articles of the Lumia and Palm Pre selling out?

5) How many did they sell?
  • Reply 148 of 150

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) The Zune sold out, too, and MS issued a statement that the Zune was the best selling PMP during a timeframe.

4) Did you not remember the articles of the Lumia and Palm Pre selling out?

5) How many did they sell?

Aww… I looked up the Kin to see if they ever said that it had sold out. 

They didn't.

I guess when you sell 503 phones on launch day, you can't say that. image

• Reply 149 of 150

But how fast will the Surface be after three months and 100 security updates?