iMac shipping times slip for some European Online Apple Stores

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Online Apple Stores across Europe are seeing shipping times slip for all iMac models, most showing a delay of one to three days, possibly signaling a drawdown ahead of a new product launch.

Apple's country-specific online storefronts from the UK to Germany are quoting delays in standard configurations of the company's all-in-one iMac, affecting both the 21.5-inch and 27-inch models, which some are quick to speculate is a sign of an imminent refresh.

European iMac Supply
The UK Apple Store shows iMac ship times of 1-3 days. | Source: Apple

It appears, however, that delayed shipments are only affecting online Apple Stores in parts of the EU, while the U.S., Canada, and Asia Pacific markets are quoting immediate availability. Further, some European countries like Czech Republic are still showing all models to be in stock.

The first signs of a supposed iMac drawdown came in a September report that cited an Authorized Apple Service Provider, who said channel supply for the computer was "peculiarly low."

Most recently, an image of an allegedly leaked part reignited rumors that Apple would soon announce a totally redesigned next-generation iMac with a more organic teardrop shape and laminated display for maximum thinness.

With an upcoming Oct. 23 media event expected to usher in the much-rumored iPad mini, Apple may take the opportunity to unveil additional products like a new iMac and possible 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display.

When Apple does decide to debut a new iMac, it is expected that the 21.5-inch model will be hitting store shelves first, followed by the 27-inch model soon after. KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo noted in August that the screen lamination process has proved to be troublesome when applied to the larger-screened machine, suggesting the difficulties could lead to a launch weeks after the 21.5-inch iteration is released.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    jwdawsojwdawso Posts: 389member
    If you upgrade the processor on the US Apple Store, the shipping time goes up (5-7, 7-10 days) much higher than the usual 1-3 days.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Woo-hoo! I am so in need of an upgrade.

The big question is how soon will the rd version come out. Can I wait. (shakes head)
  • Reply 3 of 27
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    paxman wrote: »
    Woo-hoo! I so in need for an upgrade.
    The big question is how soon will the rd version come out. Can I wait. (shakes head)

I am still happy using my ole whitey core 2 duo iMac. Of course I don't do any video rendering. It's just so cheerfull to look at that I hate the idea of replacing him.

Yeah the current model specs are starting to get a little long in the tooth, but I bet no retina displays till summer 13.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member

No leaks yet about an Apple skunkworks project to compete with the ChromeBook?

• Reply 5 of 27
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Apple Australlia still showing "In Stock" for all models. But we Aussies know there's a new model just around the corner so aren't being suckered image

• Reply 6 of 27

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Sure, it's called the MacBook family.

I mean, really, who would ever actually buy a computer running a browser for an OS? A browser based on tech just taken* from someone else?

*Yes, I know WebKit is open source. It's Apple's doing.

• Reply 7 of 27
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    bigdaddyp wrote: »
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    I am still happy using my ole whitey core 2 duo iMac. Of course I don't do any video rendering. It's just so cheerfull to look at that I hate the idea of replacing him.
    Yeah the current model specs are starting to get a little long in the tooth, but I bet no retina displays till summer 13.
    I love my old alu 21" iMac and for everyday email and browsing it is fine - my iMac is a truck. It does a lot of heavy lifting.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

I mean, really, who would ever actually buy a computer running a browser for an OS? A browser based on tech just taken* from someone else?

*Yes, I know WebKit is open source. It's Apple's doing.

Why not? If you only need email, browsing, listening to Internet radio or pod casts and all of Google Docs functionality. For $249 you get pretty much a year or two of use of a disposable device. Who cares what the OS is as long as it does what it claims to do.

So you are all miffed that Google can use Webkit? Go read the Webkit Wikipedia page and get a grip man! That is the way open source works. You start with KDE open source code and it doesn't matter if you write 99.99% of the updates it is still open source. An amazing concept that escapes many selfish people.

• Reply 9 of 27

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

So you are all miffed that Google can use Webkit? Go read the Webkit Wikipedia page and get a grip man!. That is the way open source works. You start with KDE open source code and it doesn't matter if you write 99.99% of the updates it is still open source. An amazing concept that escapes many selfish people.

Not at all, just clarifying the choice of words.

• Reply 10 of 27

Quote:

So you are all miffed that Google can use Webkit? Go read the Webkit Wikipedia page and get a grip man!. That is the way open source works. You start with KDE open source code and it doesn't matter if you write 99.99% of the updates it is still open source. An amazing concept that escapes many selfish people.

Not at all, just clarifying the choice of words.

"Just Taken" is written to imply the precise connotation that taken means stolen where as the truth is the code was "given" and "received" not taken.

• Reply 11 of 27

"Just Taken" is written to imply the precise connotation that taken means stolen where as the truth is the code was "given" and "received" not taken.

"Given" implies that Apple actually did that. Apple set it on a shelf with a sign that said "free", Google walked by. 

• Reply 12 of 27

Quote:

"Given" implies that Apple actually did that. Apple set it on a shelf with a sign that said "free", Google walked by. 

Apple didn't give it the GNU license and the BSD license did. Like I said go read the history. Many people have contributed and continue to do so including Google.

• Reply 13 of 27
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

[SIZE=8px]*Yes, I know WebKit is open source. It's Apple's doing.[/SIZE]

The OS isn't WebKit, the UI is. The OS is Linux. This is no different than WebOS which despite being [all but] defunct is still in many ways more superior to Android and except for Palm's poor management was a very viable competitor to the then iPhone OS in terms of GUI. I believe Win8 Metro UI is also webcode as a UI. There is nothing wrong with this as we use this all the time with the web browser which continually advances to be more OS-like in functionality. You only have to look at Mail in iCloud.com to see how Apple is emulating their Mail app in Mac OS X. This isn't anything to pooh-pooh.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,178member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The OS isn't WebKit, the UI is. The OS is Linux. This is no different than WebOS which despite being defunct is still in many ways more superior to Android and except for Palm's poor management was a very viable competitor to the then iPhone OS in terms of GUI. 

.... and it ain't quite dead yet.

http://www.webosnation.com/webos-gbu-become-quasi-independent-company-focused-user-experience-and-cloud-meet-gram

• Reply 15 of 27
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gatorguy wrote: »

I call that a rebirth. WebOS isn't Open WebOS unless we also want to say that today's iOS is NeXTSTEP. It's the evolution of it but NeXTSTEP is long defunct since defunctified.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

How did this thread migrate from iMac shipping times to WebKit?

• Reply 17 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

How did this thread migrate from iMac shipping times to WebKit?

The moderator, obviously.

• Reply 18 of 27
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Apple Australlia still showing "In Stock" for all models. But we Aussies know there's a new model just around the corner so aren't being suckered image

The low end Mac mini has slipped to 1-3 days in Australia...

• Reply 19 of 27

Looks like new iMacs and Mini Macs. :)

About time.  Long overdue.

Evolutionary by the sounds of it.  

A 'slimmer' iMac.

We'll see what the specs are.  A quad iVy.  O....k.  8 gigs of ram as standard?  (Ram is and has been dirt cheap for some time...and makes a mockery of Apple's ram prices.  Nothing new there...)

...will it be SSD as standard?  (I've looked at SSD prices yesterday...and was shocked by how cheap they've become....prices dropping like rocks.  £289 for 512 gig-ish drive

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=ssd+512+gb&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=9682764872&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=439177789412222373&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_6asrtsdx50_b

Pretty astonishing.  I remember when IBM 25 gig deskstars were going for that..!  Should be standard on a top of the line desktop iMac.  ...and for the price of external HDs for a bit of extra storage they could include one of those as well.  But not Apple's style...

That will be a massive boost to the iMac's speed.

GPU?  Radeon 8xxxx class gpus are imminent?  But do we have an 'M' class ready?  I suspect a 7xxx 'M' card.  Hopefully it will be better than the current iMac top end gpu which is a fine card.

The CPU will offer nominal improvement but be cooler running?  What we looking at, 10%?  ish?

But the design will be slimmer.  DVD drive will be knocked on the head along with the internal HD?  (SSD instead..?)

I'm guessing no retina.  Between that and Haswell...will drive the boost in iMac sales...when an even newer model is released 8-9 months later?  May to June 2013?

...after a 'sexy slim' iMac drives sales of the pending release.

A SSD as standard may make some 'jump' but...I'd rather wait for Retina and Haswell...and a 8XXX class gpu.

I can see the next update relatively soon after this over due 'bump.'

Anybody on a Core DUO will get a fine machine.  But with Haswell and retina looming...

I might even see how this pending update pressures the current gen price wise and sell my DUO and get a top of the line last gen.  Any price hovering close to a grand-ish would get my attention.  Especially if it came with a copy of Photoshop.

Still, for the desktop starved...iMac and Mini are almost, finally here...and some news is better than no news.

Apple's desktop line...like Exodus or something...

Lemon Bon Bon.