iOS 'uber hacker' Comex no longer working for Apple

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In a tweet on Thursday, Nicholas Allegra, better known by his hacker handle "Comex," announced that he was no longer interning at Apple, ending a one-year stint at the Cupertino company.

So? no point in delaying.As of last week, after about a year, I?m no longer associated with Apple.

? comex (@comex)

A follow-up tweet explained that Allegra was not fired from Apple, but "forgot to reply to an email," which Fortune discovered to be an offer to continue employment as a remote intern. Comex first joined Apple in August 2011.

?I wasn?t too happy about it, but it didn?t seem like I was able to fix it,? Allegra said, referring to the
rescinded offer. ?So that?s what it is.?

The hacker, who gained legendary status by coding iOS jailbreaking tools like JailbreakMe 2 and JailbreakMe 3, admitted that there was a bit more to the story of his departure from Apple, but declined to comment further. Allegra did say, however, that "it wasn't a bad ending," pointing out that he enjoyed his time in Cupertino.

As for the future, Allegra said he plans to concentrate on his studies at Brown University, adding that he may not be returning to the iOS jailbreaking scene any time soon as it is likely to be a breach of his former contract with Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57

DAMN! I didn't know about the contract thing. And that sucks because now Apple has no reason to rehire him since he can't be a jailbreaker now. Where is he going to work? What is going to do?

• Reply 2 of 57
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    OT: It'll be interesting to see if iOS 6 can be Jailbroken since it has kernel ASLR.
  • Reply 3 of 57
    They didnt want him in the first place they set up this contract because they know what he is capable of and wanted to take him out of the jailbreak community by making it a restriction in his contract
  • Reply 4 of 57

Originally Posted by rgroves View Post

They didn't want him in the first place…

Proof? They "didn't want" to have the guy screwing with their software working for them instead of against them? They ONLY wanted him to stop the against?

• Reply 5 of 57
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Proof? They "didn't want" to have the guy screwing with their software working for them instead of against them? They ONLY wanted him to stop the against?

He was probably a square peg in a round hole at Apple. I've known or interacted with a couple of guys like this. They don't function like the rest of us.

• Reply 6 of 57
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

That was quick!  Just seems like I was reading a post that Apple had hired him.  Good luck in your future... in the meantime, you know where to find me... rotting away in front of my Apple.

/

/

• Reply 7 of 57
    rgroves wrote: »
    They didnt want him in the first place they set up this contract because they know what he is capable of and wanted to take him out of the jailbreak community by making it a restriction in his contract

A contract which he apparently agreed to, and to which Apple held up their end. Why don't you tell us again how Apple masterminded the fake Moon Landing in '69, and silenced anyone who would reveal the truth by offering them a one year internship?
  • Reply 8 of 57
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rot'napple wrote: »
    That was quick!  Just seems like I was reading a post that Apple had hired him.  Good luck in your future... in the meantime, you know where to find me... rotting away in front of my Apple.
    /
    /

It doesn't seem like a year, does it?
  • Reply 9 of 57

Am I the only person that (1) has never jailbroken any of their devices or (2) had the desire to?

• Reply 10 of 57
    Just because of an email not replied to?? Seems odd...
  • Reply 11 of 57

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

He was probably a square peg in a round hole at Apple.

*cough* If that's actually the case, I hate what Apple has become.

• Reply 12 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by verucabong View Post

Just because of an email not replied to?? Seems odd...

If Apple wanted him, a missed email would mean nothing. He doesn't sound that upset either. Both parties shrugged and moved on, so I doubt he was engaged in anything useful.

• Reply 13 of 57
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Bottom line: Interns don't make any money.

• Reply 14 of 57
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Deleted
  • Reply 15 of 57
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

*cough* If that's actually the case, I hate what Apple has become.

'IF' that's the case...?

i suspect you hate apple anyway.

• Reply 16 of 57

Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

'IF' that's the case...?

So you're providing evidence/agreeing with the idea that Apple has abandoned the "crazy ones" ideal?

i suspect you hate apple anyway.

White-hot loathing. It's the only answer that could ever make sense.

• Reply 17 of 57
    "Remote Intern".

I wonder what that equals in "foxconn workers"?

Sounds like a nice gig. Never had to go get coffee for his boss.

Maybe he missed the email because he forgot to pay his wireless bill?

And was at the end of the line for a new iPhone 5 and couldn't get wi-fi?

And then once he had his iPhone 5 he had to run home and jailbreak it?

That took longer that expected because he scratched the case and decided to take it back.

And used the iOS6 Maps to find his way back to the Apple store and got lost.

• Reply 18 of 57
    briancpa wrote: »
    Am I the only person that (1) has never jailbroken any of their devices or (2) had the desire to?

I jailbreak my iPad for precisely 2 things:

The 5-line keyboard http://www.ipadforums.net/attachments/jailbreak-applications-tweaks/10748d1330978571-5-row-keyboard-ipad-image-1933232229.jpg
    And Activator http://www.ijailbreak.com/cydia/activator-1-5-8-cydia-tweak/

The other little things I can get are neat but I wouldn't miss them.

Not all jailbreakers are pirates and hackers.

PS: Quasar is an awesome looking app but not worth $10 to me so I can't vouch for it.
  • Reply 19 of 57

I jailbreak my iPad for precisely 2 things:

The 5-line keyboard http://www.ipadforums.net/attachments/jailbreak-applications-tweaks/10748d1330978571-5-row-keyboard-ipad-image-1933232229.jpg
    And Activator http://www.ijailbreak.com/cydia/activator-1-5-8-cydia-tweak/

The other little things I can get are neat but I wouldn't miss them.

Not all jailbreakers are pirates and hackers.

PS: Quasar is an awesome looking app but not worth $10 to me so I can't vouch for it.

I don't understand this jailbreaking thing either. Really, for what purpose? Cheaper apps - as in 'free'? That's just wrong. And stupid, since we're all connected and this will come back to you, in a negative way.

Ah, ok, Fugly Fonts. Hmm, certainly not my thing. Can you detach it for Thumb Typing?

Quasar shows up as a free app on my AppStore. Non-American store that is. If it's awesome looking why don't you simply pay the $10 for it?
  • Reply 20 of 57
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    He probably didn't want a steady (dull) job anyway.
    More fun just playing around, doing what you want to.