Display expert refutes Microsoft claim that Surface RT display is "sharper" than iPad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71
    This comes as no surprise as you can't really coax better image quality out of a finite number of pixels no matter how much subpixel rendering magic you add. More, smaller pixels can simply represent more information, whether that is more defined text or something else.
  • Reply 42 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

It was lucky he had a back up unit there, ready and waiting for just such an unexpected occurrence.

It wasn't "luck" that put the backup unit there... Microsoft KNEW their OS was prone to freezing or blowing up. The backup was on and ready to go... and had it's own backup that had its own backup that had its own backup that had... BTW, did you notice a new addition to the "Blue Screen of Death" and the "Red Ring of Death," and that is the "Pink-Orange panel of Poop." 

• Reply 43 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Microsoft appreciates your faith. Now go buy a Windows 8 PEECEE and make Ballmer proud!

uh I have a couple iPads, an iPhone and a mac and am quite happy with them.  I just don't think that subpixel rendering is a stupid technology by virtue of the fact that MS is using it somewhere.

get a grip

• Reply 44 of 71

I'm just waiting to see headline like "Consumers returning their Surface RT saying they can't install existing Windows software on it."

• Reply 45 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes. Hardware-wise, it's really similar to the iPad. The pooch is only screwed in the fact that it's running Windows, which is inexcusably pathetic, and the design is unusable. Windows has a domino effect whereby its laughable power management will ruin the battery life (neither model's is even stated yet), etc. 

I seriously hope you are joking. The fact that you think that it is "inexcusably pathetic" for it to be running windows is ignorant. The real truth is that Windows RT is a platform created specifically for a tablet. It yields great battery life as it's power management is derived for a tablet. I personally think it's inexcusably pathetic for it to be 2012 and current tablets are running operating systems derived from cell phones. Enjoy your 10 inch iphones and galaxys!
  • Reply 46 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

It wasn't "luck" that put the backup unit there... Microsoft KNEW their OS was prone to freezing or blowing up. The backup was on and ready to go... and had it's own backup that had its own backup that had its own backup that had... BTW, did you notice a new addition to the "Blue Screen of Death" and the "Red Ring of Death," and that is the "Pink-Orange panel of Poop." 

in June they were running Beta software, it's good to have a backup plan. Unfortunately Microsoft always has the luck of having issues during keynotes haha.
  • Reply 47 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

It was a stupid thing for Soneira to say in the first place now he's got himself in a binder ... er I mean bind.

I wish Microsoft would clear the air that it isn't better than the ipad. I also wish Apple would clear the air that 2,048 × 1,536 is overkill on a 9.7 inch screen. If you think you can spot a noticeable difference between 2,048 × 1,536 and 1024×768 on a 9.7 inch screen from an arms length distance I have a bridge I can sell you. I'm so tired of ultra mega super HD resolutions on things smaller than 10 inches please give us more ram and processing power with a better battery life as those things are actually useful.
  • Reply 48 of 71

Originally Posted by Trunks817 View Post

The real truth is that Windows RT is a platform created specifically for a tablet. It yields great battery life as it's power management is derived for a tablet.

So… what's the battery life like? Not even Microsoft is telling us this. How can you know what it yields?

I personally think it's inexcusably pathetic for it to be 2012 and current tablets are running operating systems derived from cell phones.

So it's inexcusably pathetic for the Surface to be running its OS. Got it.

• Reply 49 of 71

Quote:

So… what's the battery life like? Not even Microsoft is telling us this. How can you know what it yields?

So it's inexcusably pathetic for the Surface to be running its OS. Got it.

In a reddit interview Microsoft engineers claimed 8 hours of mixed use.  Wifi enabled surfing of 10 hours.  I think that is pretty good but we will have to see once review websites actually get their hands on the dang thing.  

As far as you confusing Windows RT (Which is based off of Windows 8 and modified specifically for tablets) and Windows phone 8 which is built from the ground up for mobile phones is inexcusably pathetic.

• Reply 50 of 71

As far as you confusing Windows RT (Which is based off of Windows 8 and modified specifically for tablets) and Windows phone 8 which is built from the ground up for mobile phones is inexcusably pathetic.

Man, we just don't get many Windows fanboys here anymore. The rest of you packed up when you realized how wrong you were.

Anyway, on your point here, ever heard of Metro? Oh, sorry, Modern. Or whatever it is. And how it's the primary form of interaction. Guess… where that design came from. Little thing called Windows Phone 7. Huh. Sounds like someone's guilty of "deriving from a cell phone".

• Reply 51 of 71

Quote:

Man, we just don't get many Windows fanboys here anymore. The rest of you packed up when you realized how wrong you were.

Anyway, on your point here, ever heard of Metro? Oh, sorry, Modern. Or whatever it is. And how it's the primary form of interaction. Guess… where that design came from. Little thing called Windows Phone 7. Huh. Sounds like someone's guilty of "deriving from a cell phone".

You are correct in saying that Metro ui is derived from Windows phone 7 but are not correct in saying the underpinnings (Kernal, power management, memory management) are related to Windows phone 7 as Windows RT was made specifically for Tablet applications  As far as being a Windows fanboy I owned the original iphone, went to android, went to iphone 3gs and am now back on android.  My sister has an ipad 2, friends have ipad 1 and HD. I currently own a Blackberry playbook for my tablet needs. If anything I am a fanboy of great technology and have never owned just 1 brand. I seriously hope that you have at least tried other pieces of hardware and WILL at least try a surface before you continue to bash it with no first hand experience. At least do research before you spout off incorrect facts and negativity about a product.

• Reply 52 of 71

…Windows RT was made specifically for Tablet applications.

Okay. And how is this different from tablet applications built specifically for the iPad?

At least do research before you spout off incorrect facts and negativity about a product.

And I'd say the same to you, but you'd miss the humor.

• Reply 53 of 71

Quote:

Okay. And how is this different from tablet applications built specifically for the iPad?

And I'd say the same to you, but you'd miss the humor.

Digging into iOS shows that outside of screen size and the removal of telephone functions the iOS underpinnings are virtually the same from iphone to ipad.  Digging into Windows RT and windows phone 7 OS there are huge differences. Windows phone 7 is based off of the Windows CE kernel (horrible IMO) and Windows RT, Windows phone 8 and Windows 8 are based off of a new Kernal with specific instruction sets for X86, Arm tablet and Arm mobile phone.The OS size differs greatly from each iteration. As a person who researches each product greatly I'm sure you knew that. I'm assuming that you and I will probably clash when it comes to this particular subject so I will let you have the last word and check this forum for other interesting subjects.

Have a great night Tallest Skil.

• Reply 54 of 71

deleted

• Reply 55 of 71
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

I personally think it's inexcusably pathetic for it to be 2012 and current tablets are running operating systems derived from cell phones. Enjoy your 10 inch iphones and galaxys!

It is precisely because of the sleek and simple, appliance like OS of the iPad that made it such a breakthrough product and the huge success that it is.

What you wish for had been tried many, many times already in the years before the iPad was ever released, and guess what, those ridiculous tablets never caught on at all, just ask Microsoft. History has already deemed your ideas and wishes to be a failure.

Hardly anybody, besides a few confused and out of touch people who are still living in the past, actually thinks that having a desktop like OS on a tablet is a good idea. The average consumer is not looking for a complicated desktop like OS on their tablet, they just want simple shit that works. The fact is that a touch tablet is in a different category than a traditional computer running a desktop OS. 

What's next? Are you one of those people who wishes that they could hook up a mouse to an iPad? image

• Reply 56 of 71
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

I personally think it's inexcusably pathetic for it to be 2012 and current tablets are running operating systems derived from cell phones. Enjoy your 10 inch iphones and galaxys!

Don't you mean derived from a computer operating system with networking at it's heart, stripped down to it's core and adapted for a smartphone that changed the world, rebuilt and used for a tablet that also changed the world?

Better by far than the journey Microsoft took in order to reach the same party, unfashionably late.

• Reply 57 of 71
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spacepower View Post

Help me understand this........

I understand the tech behind all the pixels and whatnot.....

But.....

I just realized that I have never seen a picture of the Surface or any Windows RT/8 tablet on any news or tech website.....

In portrait orientation.....

What the hell?

Anyone have any non photoshopped links...

I use an iPad in portrait mode 95% of the time, like right now.

I don't read books or websites in landscape mode...

What is the tech or marketing thinking behind always showing the device in landscape mode?

Are they tryinging to convey the message that you can use it like a laptop? Are they implying that users need a keyboard??? Will most consumers use it on a table or handheld?

Does it suck in portrait mode and that's why they have allowed very little hands on demos?

I'm sincerely interested in this....

Amazon mostly shows their devices in portrait mode while other Android manufacturers display their products in landscape. Amazon has a goal of emphasizing ebooks. The others don't seem to know how to tell consumers how to use thei tablets.

Any ideas?

Everybody has their own usage. I use mine mostly on landscape so that the text is bigger on any webpage, and I watch a lot of videos and pictures on it. The keyboard is also bigger and easier to use that way.

Most new tablet users probably prefer seeing a landscape tablet than a portrait one, coming from a world where almost every screen is on landscape. And of course they are trying to convey that this will replace the laptop, and I think it will help a lot. iPad came first, this will be the death of laptops.

• Reply 58 of 71
    leighrleighr Posts: 254member
    Notice how Microsoft never shows its tablet in portrait mode? It's because it doesn't work well in portrait orientation - it's too thin, particularly for an onscreen keyboard, to be useable. Also, the 'kickstand' is a waste of time, as 95% of the time you use a tablet while holding it, not while propping it up on a desk. You can't use the touch screen properly when it sitting vertically like that. Oh, and you also can't use the keyboard cover (these were available as 3rd party add-ons for the iPad over a year ago) when you're holding the tablet in your hand (again 95% of the time)... but I guess people will find this out after they shell out for one.
  • Reply 59 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spacepower View Post

I just realized that I have never seen a picture of the Surface or any Windows RT/8 tablet on any news or tech website.....

In portrait orientation.....

What the hell?

Anyone have any non photoshopped links...

I use an iPad in portrait mode 95% of the time, like right now.

Any ideas?

The main reasons I can see for this are that the kickstand only works in landscape mode and they seem to be pushing that as a big selling point, and the garish keyboard covers are also designed for landscape mode as they attach to the long edge of the device.... plus landscape mode with keyboard cover is more "laptop like" which is where Microsoft are coming from historically... 

I use my iPad in portrait mode more often than not, but it's interesting that even with the iPad the smart cover only works as a stand in landscape orientation due to it's long edge attachment method...

• Reply 60 of 71

Quote:

In a brief device shootout, President of DisplayMate Technologies Raymond Soneira pitted Apple's iPad 2 and New iPad against what he believes to be a device comparable to the as-yet-unreleased Surface RT, an ASUS netbook.

um... this study is lame.