What If US stopped giving to other countries?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    I SUCK AND AM BANNED!

[ 03-08-2003: Message edited by: Jonathan ]</p>
  • Reply 22 of 43
    Actually, Mr Macintosh, I feel compelled to point out that it's frowned upon to end a sentence with a preposition. It would be more correct to have said "We can **** with whomever we want."
  • Reply 23 of 43
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    [quote]Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah:

<strong>Actually, Mr Macintosh, I feel compelled to point out that it's frowned upon to end a sentence with a preposition. </strong><hr></blockquote>

That would be considered a dangling preposition; definitely a grammatical error and sign of poor political reasoning.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    [quote]Originally posted by Hassan i Sabbah:

<strong>Actually, Mr Macintosh, I feel compelled to point out that it's frowned upon to end a sentence with a preposition. It would be more correct to have said "We can **** with whomever we want."</strong><hr></blockquote>

I AM BANNED SO MUCH IT IS INCREDIBLE.

• Reply 25 of 43
    [quote]Originally posted by Mr. Macintosh:

<strong>

You like the ME GETTIGN BANNED dont you?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Is there an echo in these forums?

• Reply 26 of 43
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    drew...the thread title is

"what if (the) US stopped giving to other countries?"

i figured you meant all giving to all countries...economic aid, military aid, loans, etc....

isn't this a pro-isolationist thread?? sort of, we are strong, we are rich, we can go it alone??

if not, sorry, my bad....

g
  • Reply 27 of 43
    [quote]Originally posted by bunge:

<strong>

Is there an echo in these forums?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Either that or I'M BANNED!

• Reply 28 of 43
    Mr. Mac...there are more than a few...we even have at least one gay mod...not sure what point you are going for??

as for foreign aid, good stuff here:

<a href="http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2001/10/14/95732/396"; target="_blank">web page</a>

and nice chart here:

<a href="http://www.jei.org/Archive/JEIR00/0023w3tab.html"; target="_blank">chart of aid</a>

would love to see a break down of how much we give to each country...how much to russia, how much to israel, how much to palestine, how much to africa, how much to...etc etc....

g
  • Reply 28 of 43
    [quote]Originally posted by Mr. Macintosh:

<strong>

Either that or there are five reaasons to ban me in this one thread.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that there are a few of both here.

PS Fireside Chat disappeared around the first of the year....

• Reply 30 of 43
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Mr. Mac, check your private messages.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>Mr. Mac, check your private messages.</strong><hr></blockquote>

He could, if he weren't banned.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    there's a chart of a few interesting bits here.

<a href="http://www.globalissues.org/TradeRelated/Debt/USAid.asp?so=c"; target="_blank">http://www.globalissues.org/TradeRelated/Debt/USAid.asp?so=c</a>;

also has a list of the recipients of the most aid. in order:

Russia

Isreal

Egypy

Ukraine

Indonesia

there are more, check out the link to get #'s etc.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    thanks genital man...g

shit, i was at this site but didn't scroll down to the graphs....

wonder how much aid is military, how much is food, how much is loans etc....

[ 03-08-2003: Message edited by: thegelding ]</p>
  • Reply 34 of 43
    I'm starting to get really unhappy with my country's 'aid' to other countries. I mean, we were offering 'aid' to Turkey, but revoked it when they wouldn't allow us to use their bases.

Fine, I guess. It's a lot of money. But if there's a direct correlation like that, shouldn't it be considered a purchase and not aid? I mean, aid is usually humanitarian in nature, and has some strings attached, but not so direct.

Since so much of our 'aid' is actually what I'd consider a purchase, I'm not sure cutting off aid would be that dramatic as long as the purchases continued.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    wow. great link Al...
  • Reply 36 of 43
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    [quote]Originally posted by Scott:

<strong>

It's a fallacy that terrorist comes from poverty. Terrorist tend to be well educated and have professional training to get a job with. OBL is a rich man...

The whole "poverty == terrorism" is one of those situations where someone assigns terrible results to their pet issue.</strong><hr></blockquote>

True very true however you leave out one detail,,,

The reason these heads of terror are so powerful is because they appeal to the down and outer.

Hitler did it in the olden days when forming the just re-named Nazi party. He appealed to workers who he convinced that Jews created their troubles.

OBL has done the same. He would not be who he is if he did not have a desire for a political following. Sure he is rich but he would be nothing without those who worship him for the wrong reasons. Those who worship him and join his cause tend to be down and outers. Hence he is given momentum.

I would not say Jesse Jackson is a terrorist but for the sake of another example look at the political power Jackson has because of those who feel down and out that give him his power and wealth.

Sure those who put together these terror networks are rich and educated and sure some in the group are educated and also wealthy. The bottom line is that the entire organization is made possible because of the appeal to those who are down and out. That is where the political power comes from. This power then changes form into terror. That is the problem. The platform of terror is not a method the world will allow to make political statements.

OBL and others like him are political opportunists that seek to find down and outers to gain political momentum. What the world needs to do is to help the down and outers to not be down and outers but rather successful happy people. Doing so would take the wind out of the sail of OBL and others as well as it would be better for the would be followers and the entire world at large. Freedom and Peace are results of this kind of positive change.

Fellowship

[ 03-08-2003: Message edited by: FellowshipChurch iBook ]</p>
  • Reply 37 of 43
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Is this a pro-isolationism thread? No.

It was me thinking out loud in a thread about how important a role the United States plays in world affairs, despite the attempts by some camps to portray our nation as colloquial and self-involved.

It was me wondering what would happen if we turned off the tap.

It was ME realizing how important a role our nation plays in the everyday lives of millions of people who have no affection for me or my countrymen.

Mostly it was just me wondering.

(WTF is Mr.Macintosh doing? That's freaky.)
  • Reply 38 of 43
    Well, this doctor in <a href="http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/068/nation/For_victims_of_Hussein_s_gas_attack_the_killing_ha s_never_stopped_-.shtml" target="_blank">Halabja</a> doesn't seem to think the U.S. aid has been much good anyway.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Yeah, wouldn't it be amazing if we could have an army of 250,000 doctors and medics, laying down the law around the globe helping people? I'd vote for one of those.

A new Marshall Plan would be nice.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    [quote]Originally posted by drewprops:

<strong>A new Marshall Plan would be nice.</strong><hr></blockquote>

a new Dr. Marshall plan . . .

anyay, one thing that is no acknowledged about many of these loans is that they are like methadone to a desperate junky: get them hooked on the cure then set stipulations that clearly favor US goods and trade . . . .this has been the nodusoperandi of many of the supposed help loans from the IMF for years

other than those we are the most helpfull, n'est pas?