Images of alleged 13" Retina MacBook Pro show ports, internal components

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
New photos claiming to be of an as-yet-unreleased 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display show the purported laptop's battery cell and external connectivity options, which include two Thunderbolt ports, an SD card reader and HDMI output.

13 MacBook Pro
Right side ports, from left: SD card reader, HMDI, USB. | Source: Weiphone

Ahead of Apple's Oct. 23 media event, a number of photos alleging to show a Retina display-toting 13-inch MacBook Pro surfaced on Friday, offering what could be hints to the rumored machine's hardware specs.

The images, which come from Chinese language forum Weiphone (via MacRumors), show what is claimed to be the port configuration, battery cell array and other particulars of the rumored Apple laptop.

MacBook Pro Thunderbolt
Left side ports, from left: MagSafe 2, two Thunderbolt, USB.

Surprisingly, the allegedly leaked machine looks to be in working order, and is shown running Windows 7 at 2,560-by-1,600 pixels, lending evidence to rumors in August that claimed display makers were producing screens with an identical resolution.

Also shown are multiple close-up shots of the purported machine's logic board, 8GB of Elpida RAM and screen assembly.

MacBook Pro Battery
Battery cell layout.

While the legitimacy of the images cannot be confirmed, the parts do line up with rumors suggesting Apple will soon release a Retina display carrying version of its smallest MacBook Pro.

It was reported earlier in October that low yields of the expected 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro's high-resolution display forced Apple to delay the device's launch.

Apple is widely expected to unveil a small form factor iPad, dubbed "iPad mini" by the media, at a special event next week, with sources saying the company is also likely to introduce a 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Left side ports, from left: MagSafe 2, two Lightning, USB.

Those aren't Lightning ports.  They're Thunderbolt.

• Reply 2 of 32
    Maybe that's "it"... that's all...

Imagine what the Wall Street destroyers do to AAPL stock if Apple doesn't deliver a mini iPad?

Well, with the stock hovering around $600, it's becoming an attractive buy again.
  • Reply 3 of 32
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I hope there are LED lights glowing from my USB ports because otherwise it's no sale. /s
  • Reply 4 of 32
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    nice that they didn't show the whole unit so you can't tell if it's a 13 inch or a 15 inch.
  • Reply 5 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

nice that they didn't show the whole unit so you can't tell if it's a 13 inch or a 15 inch.

Makes one wonder who is really behind these "leaks".

• Reply 6 of 32
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Narrower border between the keyboard and the edge of the body. I'm looking at my 15" and comparing to the photo.

• Reply 7 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Makes one wonder who is really behind these "leaks".

It's the guy with the purple carpet from the 70s

• Reply 8 of 32
    Shouldn't that read two Thunderbolt ports?
  • Reply 9 of 32

Also looks like they have moved the speakers to another location. I can't see any speaker holes in that photo where they are on the 15 and used to be on the 13.

• Reply 10 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Maybe that's "it"... that's all...

Imagine what the Wall Street destroyers do to AAPL stock if Apple doesn't deliver a mini iPad?

Well, with the stock hovering around $600, it's becoming an attractive buy again.

Well I don't know if this has been mentioned before but I was looking at the Apple invitation they sent out the other day.

You can tell that the colored waves are in the same shape (but bigger) than the white apple, which seems to indicate the white apple is shrinking.

I don't see what else it'd be at this point, especially with all these leaks of an iPad mini.

• Reply 11 of 32
    Again with the teaser photos. If you've got your hands on an actual unit, TAKE A PICTURE OF THE WHOLE THING.
  • Reply 12 of 32

It's definitely not a 15" rMBP. Mine has the perforated speaker grill right next to the power button. This one doesn't have that. That alone makes me think the photo is legit.

• Reply 13 of 32
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg
  • Reply 14 of 32
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member
    Let's just hope that they keep the pricing realistic/reasonable... though one might question the benefit of going 'retina' on these smaller screens, other than just to add said 'marketing-term' to yet another device.
  • Reply 15 of 32

Any mention anywhere about SSD drive? I imagine that would be consistent but am curious how it might be differentiated from MacBook Air (unless the plan is not to introduce RD for MBA in the future).

• Reply 16 of 32

Quote:

Really? the lack of the speakers on the side of the keyboard wasn't big enough a clue? or match the battery layout photos. It definitely appears legit.

• Reply 17 of 32
    I always love it when rumour begins to morph into reality...

Seriously, this machine can't arrive soon enough. It's way overdue and I'm ready to buy. I just wonder what it's going to cost with a 768 GB SSD hard drive?

• Reply 18 of 32
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    tailpipe wrote: »
    I always love it when rumour begins to morph into reality...
    Seriously, this machine can't arrive soon enough. It's way overdue and I'm ready to buy. I just wonder what it's going to cost with a 768 GB SSD hard drive?

It's interesting that the 15" RMBP came first when the larger display would be more difficult and more costly to produce. Of course, that doesn't take into consideration factors like popularity of 15" MBP over 13" MBP, the ability to roll in the high cost into the higher priced machine, and the marketing aspects of it; but it's still interesting to me.
  • Reply 19 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's interesting that the 15" RMBP came first when the larger display would be more difficult and more costly to produce. Of course, that doesn't take into consideration factors like popularity of 15" MBP over 13" MBP, the ability to roll in the high cost into the higher priced machine, and the marketing aspects of it; but it's still interesting to me.

The 15" had some display issues. The LG made display exhibited some unexpected image persistance problems where as the Samsung display did not. We don't know where the 13" displays come from yet. Thankfully my 15" has the Samsung display so I am relieved that I don't have the issues that others are complaining about. I tested all of the demo machines at the Apple store and 5 out of 6 on the table had the LG display however they were all the low end model. Mine is the high end model and has Samsung so perhaps Apple was aware of the issue early on and put the better displays in the high end model.

• Reply 20 of 32
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    That site says the thermal connections suggest that there isn't a dedicated GPU. 9too5Mac says the entry model will be $1699.

It's looking like the spec will be the following:

dual-core i5
    HD 4000
    2560 x 1600
    256GB SSD
    8GB soldered RAM
    dual Thunderbolt
    dual USB 3
    HDMI
    SD slot
    $1699

Given that the 13" Air is $1499 for a ULV i5, 256GB SSD, 4GB RAM, HD 4000, it's not that bad. You basically get an extra TB port, 4GB RAM, a faster CPU and a Retina screen for $200.

I think the HD 4000 will seriously struggle running at that resolution though, especially with up to 3 external displays attached. There's no way it'll run Diablo 3 at full res at any playable frame rates.

Ultrabook makers can fit a 640M into Ultrabooks, there's no reason one couldn't go into a $1699 Macbook Pro.