Apple leaks mention of iBooks 3.0, reinforcing iPad mini focus on ebooks

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I'm kind of hoping (probably more wishful thinking) this was an inaccurate leak on purpose. That the real staring price will be $299. But if it is $329 hopefully it will have A6 and in-cell, super thin and light and as close to retina as possible. I've never really had an issue with the higher price so long as it had some amazing specs to go with it, I'm not one who thinks charging a $100 premium for the "ecosystem" will work in this particular market.

1) I've always wondered about the effectiveness of such tactics. Apple already has the customers that would see this "leak" and it's surely such a small number of users so I can't imagine there will be too many that would think "I was on the fence but now I'm pleasantly surprised by it being $30 lower I think I'll be one." Doesn't mean they don't do that but I'd think they'd do it to help root out who is leaking otherwise sensitive data.

2) I wonder if we should consider some advanced opponents that could account for the higher expected price. New battery tech is where I would want to see some advancement and for a device that I believe needs to focus on being "magically" lightweight I would start there.

PS: Have we ruled out iPad Light as a name? Sounds a lit like a 1980's diet soda. If they call it that then Android fans can claim they are copying Samsung's Galaxy Tab.
  • Reply 22 of 62
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Not an iBook, not an Air.

So no.

But what quantifies "good"? You're not looking to say 'specs' at all; you're meaning to say that the hardware that Apple uses, despite often not being numerically or qualitatively superior to other hardware available within its specific field, is made the best through its integration with the other hardware within the device.

They often don't have near the best specs. But they very often have the subjective (and objective) best—and fastest—product, despite not having specs that would make that seem possible.
    OK ill be specific. I think a shrunken iPad 2 at $329 starting price has FAIL written all over it. If they can't do retina (or something close) then at least have A6, maybe in-cell, super thin and light, great battery life. And then who knows what's coming on the software side.
  • Reply 23 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Well with a rumored $329 starting price point there better be something to make this worth the extra $70-$100. Yes, I know people here will tell me the "ecosystem" is easily worth that premium. I guess we'll find out next week,

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Why not focus on the extra $30? We know that psychologically $299 is very attractive compared to anything in the $300 range so why is this thing priced $30 more than one would expect for this "range"? I'm wondering if they fear cannibalization of the flagship iPad so even if they get the same or higher profit ratio they will still be less than the net profit of a more expensive device. They might also have figured that being within a $100 or so of the cheap tablets is enough to affect their sales and pull enough buyers to sell out all their make this season. It's easier to drop a price than to raise it later on.

Quote:

I'm kind of hoping (probably more wishful thinking) this was an inaccurate leak on purpose. That the real staring price will be $299. But if it is $329 hopefully it will have A6 and in-cell, super thin and light and as close to retina as possible. I've never really had an issue with the higher price so long as it had some amazing specs to go with it, I'm not one who thinks charging a $100 premium for the "ecosystem" will work in this particular market.

Yes, it is possible that $299 is the real price.  The $329 leak was only used to test who were the traitors... haha.

Agree with SolipsismX.  They probably did their studies and found out that people can stand a $100 premium over Android devices (and still sell out).  Yes, easier to drop than to raise.

Apple won't give us crazy-cool hardware and specs with the iPad mini.  It's just gonna be standard stuff.  Maybe a few tricks in the software.  Super light and thin, probably.

• Reply 24 of 62
    rogifan wrote: »
    OK ill be specific. I think a shrunken iPad 2 at $329 starting price has FAIL written all over it. If they can't do retina (or something close) then at least have A6, maybe in-cell, super thin and light, great battery life. And then who knows what's coming on the software side.

I'm not sure you've stated anything specific because the rumoured device as all signs of having great battery life, being super thin and light already.
  • Reply 25 of 62
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    I hope this means that with iBooks 3 (and iBooks creator), we could see comics in the iBooks store.
    CBZ and CBR need to die.

There are already comics in iBooks. But yes 3.0 could perhaps allow for better support of such titles. And/or even support cbz/r
  • Reply 26 of 62
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    I think having simple (looping, too) animations in comic books would be a great way to kill off paper.

You should check out the madefire comics app
  • Reply 27 of 62

Quote:

I would bet on very very long battery life and it being super light and thin.  The retina display will be saved for the next update.

It would really be exciting if Apple included something that we could never imagine, like when they did retina with the iPhone 4.  Something simple and yet big.

• Reply 28 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Not an iBook, not an Air.

So no.

I agree on iBook (i.e. the name not being that) because of confusion with the app, not to mention the fact that they used to have a product called iBook. To me, Air remains a possibility (even though some argue about Air being reserved for the MacBook line). Apple is not fanciful when it comes to names. It will be either iPad Mini or iPad Air. Air will emphasize what appears to be the key design feature - thinness and low weight.

• Reply 29 of 62
    melmel wrote: »

I would bet on very very long battery life and it being super light and thin.  The retina display will be saved for the next update.

It would really be exciting if Apple included something that we could never imagine, like when they did retina with the iPhone 4.  Something simple and yet big.

I wouldn't think it would be possible until we get the Img Tech Rogue 6 chips and even then the power requirements and costs might still be too high for at least 2014 product, or the 3rd gen iPad "mini".
  • Reply 30 of 62

Quote:

2) I wonder if we should consider some advanced opponents that could account for the higher expected price. New battery tech is where I would want to see some advancement and for a device that I believe needs to focus on being "magically" lightweight I would start there.

PS: Have we ruled out iPad Light as a name? Sounds a lit like a 1980's diet soda. If they call it that then Android fans can claim they are copying Samsung's Galaxy Tab.

You mean component, right? Well, not to beat a dead horse, but Retina Display could account for the price. But, before you treat me like Obama's chair again, I have said all along it was a possibility but not a probability.

As for iPad Light (and the clever Tab pun), it is possible but, as mentioned above, Apple tends to be simple and even repetitively so when it comes to names. I do see them using Air or Mini again rather than Light.

• Reply 31 of 62

Quote:

I wouldn't think it would be possible until we get the Img Tech Rogue 6 chips and even then the power requirements and costs might still be too high for at least 2014 product, or the 3rd gen iPad "mini".

Really?  Were you referring to the screen?  I'm not sure what is IMG TECH ROGUE 6.

If they can't do retina until the 3rd gen, then what can they upgrade in the 2nd gen?  (Besides the given's like A6 and RAM)

• Reply 32 of 62
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I see this $329 (rumoured) price tag being wrong. Seems like classic misdirection on Apple's part, in order to make anything below that seem cheaper than expected. I'm expecting $299, but we could see an 8GB $249 version.
  • Reply 33 of 62
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I'm not sure you've stated anything specific because the rumoured device as all signs of having great battery life, being super thin and light already.
    Well if that's that's the case then it won't be a shrunken iPad 2 right? I'm just going off the speculation it will have iPad 2 or 3GS specs, sell for $100 more than Fire or Nexus and fly off the shelves. That's where I disagree, and I guess where I don't put as high of a premium on the "ecosystem", especially if the focus is on books. How does Apple beat Amazon on books unless their focus will go the interactive route?
  • Reply 34 of 62
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    $329 would be anomalous considering all iOS devices have prices that end with 99 or 49.
  • Reply 35 of 62

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

$329 would be anomalous considering all iOS devices have prices that end with 99 or 49.

Now. Not always.

• Reply 36 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I see this $329 (rumoured) price tag being wrong. Seems like classic misdirection on Apple's part, in order to make anything below that seem cheaper than expected. I'm expecting $299, but we could see an 8GB $249 version.

"Classic" misdirection? So they've done this before?

• Reply 37 of 62

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

"Classic" misdirection? So they've done this before?

With the original iPad, for one.

• Reply 38 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

With the original iPad, for one.

But is it proven that they leaked a higher price to a trusted blogger?

• Reply 39 of 62
    dmfettdmfett Posts: 141member
    So does this mean I have to re-do my books selling on iTunes using the new iBooks 3.0? Sure hope not as as I was thinking all books on the iPda will work on the new mini iPad...only time will tell...what do you all think...any of you have their books selling for the iPad on iTunes?
  • Reply 40 of 62

I hope iBooks 3 will support more advanced ePub. Mention was made recently that the ePub protocol was being updated to handle math. Math and other technical symbols used in science are not well supported by any eReader protocol, leaving such books unavailable for eBooks. 

Given the push for using tablets in schools, and the push for better STEM education, it's important that publishers be able to offer such eBooks. iBooksAuthor likewise will have to be upgraded to support also.