Rumor: Image allegedly shows 9.7-inch iPad with Lightning port

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
An image released on Saturday claims to show a slightly modified third-generation iPad with a Lightning connector port, possibly pointing to an imminent release of the rumored device as part of Apple's move to bring parity across its iDevice lineup.

It should be noted that the authenticity of the image cannot be confirmed and is thus provided for purposes of discussion only.

New iPad with Lightning
Source: Apple.pro.

The photo, posted to Apple.pro, shows a full-size iPad back case with a small dock hole seemingly meant to support Apple's proprietary Lightning connector, which was introduced with the iPhone 5 in September.

The supposedly new shell is shown resting atop the current iPad with 30-pin dock connector, illustrating the difference in size between the two cutouts.

Sitting on top of the purportedly refreshed case is a Lightning flex cable, in this case black, which appears to line up perfectly with the slot. It is unclear if the component will be used in the revamped iPad.

Apple is expected to bring Lightning connectivity to all of its iDevice products as they are refreshed, offering compatibility with upcoming accessories. The proprietary standard is seen as a long-term investment for the company, and is expected to have a lifetime of ten years, mirroring that of the legacy 30-pin dock connector.

It is unknown if and when Apple will release the slightly modified iPad, but it may take the opportunity to do so at a special event on Tuesday, where the company is widely expected to unveil the 7.85-inch "iPad mini."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 89

Man, that's just stupid.

I believe it, given the timing of the original rumor and the second one we heard, but…

• Reply 2 of 89
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Man, that's just stupid.

I believe it, given the timing of the original rumor and the second one we heard, but…

How so? Why not standardize the port as quickly as possible? Mid-cycle updates have occurred on other lines. Why not the iPad?
  • Reply 3 of 89

Quote:

Man, that's just stupid.

I am a bit surprised by this ... Surely they will have a fair inventory of 30-pin iPads to unload? Will the price drop for those?

What's the rationale for rushing this "upgrade"? Is it because they want to stop stocking 30-pin cables asap?

Upon further thinking, it's really damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. There are win-lose arguments regardless of upgrading now or later. So might as well bite the bullet now.

• Reply 4 of 89

Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

How so? Why not standardize the port as quickly as possible? Mid-cycle updates have occurred on other lines. Why not the iPad?

Because doing this won't do that! No one will be making any more Lighting crap any faster because of this. If they don't update the hardware, iPad 3 pre-Lightning purchasers will be upset because they had a 7 month cycle. iPad 3 Lightning purchasers will be extremely upset because they had a five month cycle. If they do update the hardware, just the pre-Lightning purchasers will be upset and we have a new yearly cycle, which I find very odd. Putting the iPad and the iPhone so close together, much less right before the holidays leaves a big gap in the year and a probable sales drop.

And what "mid-cycle" updates?

• Reply 5 of 89
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Well now. I see we have tried to pawn off the concept of a so called "iPad Mini" as having the lighting connector. Why NOT!!! Why would a company that is a stickler for details relaese an old dock connector on a new device that is now the standard. I can't wait to see this uniot released. I plan to be watching the updates when the keynote is being performed. Yet one never knows what is gonna be presented.
  • Reply 6 of 89

Quote:

I'm struggling to think of a precedent myself.

• Reply 7 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Well now. I see we have tried to pawn off the concept of a so called "iPad Mini" as having the lighting connector.

We did? I had assumed all along it would be Lightning or nothing for the iPad Air.

• Reply 8 of 89
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Mid-cycle updates are very un-Apple like. What's so important that they couldn't have waited until the iPad 4?

I like the fact that most Apple products are on a yearly update schedule. It lets you time your purchases with precision and you don't end up getting screwed like the poor, unfortunate and miserable souls that live in Android land.

• Reply 9 of 89
    Anandtech detailed how they made a quiet update to the iPad 2 with the SoC processor. It allowed for better battery life - about 20% increase. So there is precedent for this. And no, they won't drop the price on the old dock connector units. What they have probably done in the last two -three weeks is draw down supply a bit to blunt the effect some but I don't see people turning away an old dock connector unit automatically. Particularly if they don't have an iPhone 5 and new dock connector anyway.
  • Reply 10 of 89
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/153599/rumor-image-allegedly-shows-9-7-inch-ipad-with-lightning-port#post_2215644"]Mid-cycle updates are very un-Apple like. What's so important that they couldn't have waited until the iPad 4?

I like the fact that most Apple products are on a yearly update schedule. It lets you time your purchases with precision and you don't end up getting screwed like the poor, unfortunate and miserable souls that live in Android land.

It is unusual but so was the YoY thicker and heavier iDevice. Perhaps this is a way to correct that requirement to get the Retina display out or perhaps they'll jut market the longer battery life, or perhaps none of that but will have the new connector. The new connector after a decade is unprecedented, too. I can see why they might want to get that switched over as quickly as possible.
  • Reply 11 of 89

Hmmm yeah it might just be a die shrink and lightning connector change? Maybe they except to keep the 3rd gen iPad going alongside the 4th gen next spring? It's peculiar for sure.... but only a few more days to find out what's going on.

• Reply 12 of 89
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I think this is excellent news. Clearly this means that they plan to continue selling the previous model at a discount after the new version comes out. The earlier thread that they would discontinue the iPad 2 as soon as the mini was released I thought was a bad idea. The large iPad is much better for reading textbooks, especially science topics which rely on side by side figures and illustrations with lengthy captions accompanying the body copy. 

• Reply 13 of 89
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Man, that's just stupid.

If true it sounds like a reasonable strategy to me.  Sooner is always better than later in terms of an absolute switch like that.  The only real control Apple has over the inconvenience of the switch is to make it go as fast as possible. To make the period wherein both connectors are in use as short as possible.  Drawing it out doesn't help anyone and just lengthens the agony.  

• Reply 14 of 89

Quote:

Because doing this won't do that! No one will be making any more Lighting crap any faster because of this. If they don't update the hardware, iPad 3 pre-Lightning purchasers will be upset because they had a 7 month cycle. iPad 3 Lightning purchasers will be extremely upset because they had a five month cycle. If they do update the hardware, just the pre-Lightning purchasers will be upset and we have a new yearly cycle, which I find very odd. Putting the iPad and the iPhone so close together, much less right before the holidays leaves a big gap in the year and a probable sales drop.

You are not making any sense, Tally !!  Doing this won't do what ??

Why will pre-Lightning purchasers be upset?  Has Apple ever said that they will update iPads after 12 months and not a day earlier?  Besides, this could turn out a minor update - just the connector and nothing else?  Not a big update.

Furthermore, Apple may have decided that refreshing the line of iPads just before Christmas is better for overall sales.

• Reply 15 of 89

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

You are not making any sense, Tally !!  Doing this won't do what ??

Why will pre-Lightning purchasers be upset?  Has Apple ever said that they will update iPads after 12 months and not a day earlier?  Besides, this could turn out a minor update - just the connector and nothing else?  Not a big update.

Furthermore, Apple may have decided that refreshing the line of iPads just before Christmas is better for overall sales.

It needs to be a speed update, like A6 also. The new iPad is no faster than the iPad 2 because of the cycles needed to handle the retina display. A lightning connector only change will make little sense if the 2013 iPad version would be 3-4 months out after XMas. 

• Reply 16 of 89
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Anandtech detailed how they made a quiet update to the iPad 2 with the SoC processor. It allowed for better battery life - about 20% increase. So there is precedent for this. And no, they won't drop the price on the old dock connector units. What they have probably done in the last two -three weeks is draw down supply a bit to blunt the effect some but I don't see people turning away an old dock connector unit automatically. Particularly if they don't have an iPhone 5 and new dock connector anyway.

Not for an announced change. That was completely silent with no outward change to the device. Not even an alteration of the Spec Sheet to denote the increased battery life.

• Reply 17 of 89

I so hope they refresh the 9.7" iPad soon. This gives Apple the chance to streamline the Lightning Connector to the new iPad, correct that heat issue nobody talks much about anymore and implement the new A6 chip all before the holiday season. Go Apple!

• Reply 18 of 89
    The photo looks fake. Look at the top unit's more acute corner compared to the lower unit's.
  • Reply 19 of 89

Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Moving to release their two best-selling products within weeks of one another doesn't seem like the best idea. Spread them out and you give customers time to buy one of each.

Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

It needs to be a speed update, like A6 also.

Well, no, but…

The new iPad is no faster than the iPad 2 because of the cycles needed to handle the retina display.

Other than all the reviews and benchmarks that say otherwise. Graphics, sure, but not processing. For anything not a game, it's much faster.

Originally Posted by estolinski View Post

The photo looks fake. Look at the top unit's more acute corner compared to the lower unit's.

They're the same. Light changes when things are viewed from different angles.

• Reply 20 of 89
    That photo looks shopped. But nice rumor.