Apple leaks mention of iBooks 3.0, reinforcing iPad mini focus on ebooks

Comments

• Reply 41 of 62

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

But is it proven that they leaked a higher price to a trusted blogger?

Doesn't matter. Nearly everyone was throwing around "$999". Where it came from doesn't matter when Apple did nothing covert or overt to change it.

• Reply 42 of 62
    I'm looking forward to a parent-child sort for viewing our content. Or even multiple bookcases that are explicitly labeled. Those people with hundreds of books have to scroll endlessly to find the book they want.
  • Reply 43 of 62
    sipsip Posts: 210member

I read a lot, on a Sony eBook, the iPad and iPhone. Where the ipad wins hands down is being able to display two side-by-side pages just like a real book. I have a couple of 3rd-party apps which do that on the iPhone, but then I would need a huge magnifying glass to read the pages.

Given that the wife and the grandkid now keep walking away with the iPad, i was hoping to get an iPad-mini but got told a couple of days ago by the wife that if one more Apple product arrives, she's kicking me out! I'm sure I'll be able to convince her to use an iPad-mini and then reclaim my 1st-gen iPad.

The point is (for me) reading in landscape mode with two side-by-side pages is an absolute must and I'm not sure how this will work on the smaller device.

• Reply 44 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Doesn't matter. Nearly everyone was throwing around "$999". Where it came from doesn't matter when Apple did nothing covert or overt to change it.

I think the guesstimate of $999 was based on the thinking that the iPad was much larger than the iPhone and therefore must be commensurately more expensive.

• Reply 45 of 62

I think the guesstimate of $999 was based on the thinking that the iPad was much larger than the iPhone and therefore must be commensurately more expensive.

That only works for products within the same market.

• Reply 46 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by melmel View Post

I would bet on very very long battery life and it being super light and thin.  The retina display will be saved for the next update.

It would really be exciting if Apple included something that we could never imagine, like when they did retina with the iPhone 4.  Something simple and yet big.

Dolby 7.1?

Cheers

• Reply 47 of 62

Quote:

That only works for products within the same market.

I agree. But I am saying that's the root of the guesses. But, speaking of guesses, we'll never know.

• Reply 48 of 62

Perhaps, Apple has lined up some publishers to announce a library worth of iBooks created (or re-created) using iBooks Author - many more than previously announced. Perhaps, it will be the contents that will make this launch compelling and justify the price (to the customer).

• Reply 49 of 62

So, lets see

1) suggested price quite expensive

2) ibooks which mean little to most of the world (as the bookstore is full of old, out of copyright, books

ther has to be something else

• Reply 50 of 62

Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

It's smaller. Which is what people are whining about, pretending they want. Just like calling the 6th iPhone "iPhone 5" is what people were whining about and pretending they wanted. 

• Reply 51 of 62
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

It's smaller. Which is what people are whining about, pretending they want. Just like calling the 6th iPhone "iPhone 5" is what people were whining about and pretending they wanted. 

Perhaps they will call it the iPad S 

• Reply 52 of 62

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Perhaps they will call it the iPad S 

And use a font that doesn't distinguish S and 5. image

• Reply 53 of 62

Quote:

I understand the size thing...   but if it comes with the 8gb, that cost, no real advancement in something... its just eh...

but then, the iphone 6th gen is called the iphone 5 so....

• Reply 54 of 62

I understand the size thing...   but if it comes with the 8gb, that cost, no real advancement in something... its just eh...

That's what I'm thinking. And I don't understand the size thing. image

but then, the iphone 6th gen is called the iphone 5 so....

Oh, on that! Some people are saying that the real iPad was called "the new iPad" instead of "iPad 3" because the "iPad 3" is being released right now! The old model was just a "stopgap" before the real "iPad 3".

Hey, I guess if Apple was stupid enough to listen to them last time, they can keep having the same idiotic beliefs in the future. Hopefully Apple doesn't listen again.

• Reply 55 of 62
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sip View Post

I read a lot, on a Sony eBook, the iPad and iPhone. Where the ipad wins hands down is being able to display two side-by-side pages just like a real book. I have a couple of 3rd-party apps which do that on the iPhone, but then I would need a huge magnifying glass to read the pages.

Given that the wife and the grandkid now keep walking away with the iPad, i was hoping to get an iPad-mini but got told a couple of days ago by the wife that if one more Apple product arrives, she's kicking me out! I'm sure I'll be able to convince her to use an iPad-mini and then reclaim my 1st-gen iPad.

The point is (for me) reading in landscape mode with two side-by-side pages is an absolute must and I'm not sure how this will work on the smaller device.

It will not work. If you want that better stick with regular iPad.

• Reply 56 of 62
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsQueen View Post

I'm looking forward to a parent-child sort for viewing our content. Or even multiple bookcases that are explicitly labeled. Those people with hundreds of books have to scroll endlessly to find the book they want.

You can have as many bookshelves as you'd like.

• Reply 57 of 62

Quote:

So, lets see

1) suggested price quite expensive

2) ibooks which mean little to most of the world (as the bookstore is full of old, out of copyright, books

Guessing you aren't in the US or even the UK with that last comment. Because in those countries and a few others, you can get thousands of not 'old, out of copyright' books. Even up to things that just can out in paper form this week like John Grisham etc. 

But outside of those and a handful of others yes the publishers are holding back their stuff so you only get public domain and perhaps local publishers. 

As for the price being expensive, it's Apple. They rarely to never price to sell but price what they wish and make you want it

• Reply 58 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

You can have as many bookshelves as you'd like.

I think what she's looking for is more like being able to sort by age appropriate ness so you can turn on a restrictions and junior can read his books but not see your 'Fifty Shades' and such 

• Reply 59 of 62
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

OK ill be specific. I think a shrunken iPad 2 at $329 starting price has FAIL written all over it. If they can't do retina (or something close) then at least have A6, maybe in-cell, super thin and light, great battery life. And then who knows what's coming on the software side.

If all the mini is is a shrunken iPad 2 for $329 it'll still move the iPad price point down $70 and it will sell (i.e. succeed).

They will either do 1024x768 or they will do retina.  It makes little sense to do "something close" that isn't 2048x1536.

• Reply 60 of 62
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

but Retina Display could account for the price.

If the focus really is on eBooks (i doubt it) then retina becomes far more likely.

Gaming is far more likely to be the focus than eBooks.