Rumor: Image allegedly shows 9.7-inch iPad with Lightning port

Comments

• Reply 21 of 89
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

iPad 3 pre-Lightning purchasers will be upset because they had a 7 month cycle. iPad 3 Lightning purchasers will be extremely upset because they had a five month cycle. If they do update the hardware, just the pre-Lightning purchasers will be upset and we have a new yearly cycle, which I find very odd. Putting the iPad and the iPhone so close together, much less right before the holidays leaves a big gap in the year and a probable sales drop.

I was originally a Lightning port hater, until I got the iPhone 5, and now I love it.  I buy every iOS device on launch day, so yes, I have the iPad 3.  I have no problem either waiting until Spring and skipping the mid-cycle update, or more than likely I'll sell my iPad 3 and buy a iPad 3 with Lightning so that *I* can standardize on one iOS cable.  Plus, now that I have the iPhone 5, I find plugging in the iPad 3 to be way more cumbersome than I ever realized before.

The "iPad 4" could be nothing more than the iPad 3 with Lightning and I'll happily upgrade.  Throw in an enhanced A6, and I'm absolutely giddy about it.  Although, there is this weird mindset that if Apple releases something "not worth upgrading" that it pisses people off.  If it's not worth upgrading for someone, that person shouldn't mind, you know, not upgrading.  As long as Apple keeps ahead of the competition, all is good.

• Reply 22 of 89

Quote:

Moving to release their two best-selling products within weeks of one another doesn't seem like the best idea. Spread them out and you give customers time to buy one of each.

Well, no, but…

Other than all the reviews and benchmarks that say otherwise. Graphics, sure, but not processing. For anything not a game, it's much faster.

They're the same. Light changes when things are viewed from different angles.

who told that? who told that they won't update any product besides once in a year? for what? for costumers to only go to their store in september and april because they know when new products will arrive?

you are delusional.

they must do it when they can (another reason for the number after "iPad" being dropped).

besides, and a6x chip, igzo and thinner package makes sense right NOW, because they CAN.. especially because of all this win8 BS.

not only that, there's the new rogue in april.. that's another kick ass update.

• Reply 23 of 89
    We assume Apple will launch an iPad 4 (newer new iPad) in mid 2013, but there's possibility that they won't if the iPad gets a lightning connector and sharp's igzo displays next week. Apple is most likely launching their TV next year and doesn't want a new iPad released near it to divide attention and people's money.
  • Reply 24 of 89

Quote:

1. They are being viewed from the same angle.

2. Light changes when passing through different media. 

The photo is fake. 

• Reply 25 of 89
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

We assume Apple will launch an iPad 4 (newer new iPad) in mid 2013, but there's possibility that they won't if the iPad gets a lightning connector and sharp's izgo displays next week. Apple is most likely launching their TV next year and doesn't want a new iPad released near it to divide attention and people's money.

Some interesting possibilities. A chess game has lots of moves. 

• Reply 26 of 89

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

who told that? who told that they won't update any product besides once in a year?

You're kidding, right? The fact that Apple hasn't updated any of their iDevices in a timeframe under 1 year in the last six years hasn't tipped you off to that?

they must do it when they can (another reason for the number after "iPad" being dropped).

Is this an explanation of something? If so, what?

besides, and a6x chip, igzo and thinner package makes sense right NOW…

Why? Can you explain that?

…because they CAN… 

Which goes against everything Apple has done. If they updated because they "could", we would have had Ivy Bridge iMacs in April.

…especially because of all this win8 BS.

Please do not tell me that you are honestly suggesting Apple is responding to that divebombing crap.

not only that, there's the new rogue in april.. that's another kick ass update.

The new what? 

Originally Posted by estolinski View Post

1. They are being viewed from the same angle.

Because THIS and THIS are the same angle?!

So there's different air between the camera lens and each back case in the picture or something?

The photo is fake. 

Something's sure fake.

• Reply 27 of 89
    Think bigger. Apple needs an excuse to move the iPad upgrade cycle back a few months so they can be refreshed each year before Christmas. What would better time to do this than alongside the iPad Mini debut? So 1 year they short cycle the product and create a late 3rd quarter/early 4th quarter refresh cycle for both iPads, iPhone, IPod, MacBook, MacMini and iMac. To me this is very smart on their part.
  • Reply 28 of 89

Originally Posted by RBBarrett View Post

Apple needs an excuse to move the iPad upgrade cycle back a few months so they can be refreshed each year before Christmas.

Why does there need to be an excuse for this? Should Apple update all products they sell once per year, simultaneously?

• Reply 29 of 89
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rbbarrett wrote: »
    Think bigger. Apple needs an excuse to move the iPad upgrade cycle back a few months so they can be refreshed each year before Christmas. What would better time to do this than alongside the iPad Mini debut? So 1 year they short cycle the product and create a late 3rd quarter/early 4th quarter refresh cycle for both iPads, iPhone, IPod, MacBook, MacMini and iMac. To me this is very smart on their part.

Perhaps, but having everything come out within 2 months of each other every year seems like a poor business decision to me. You not only have ramp up issues across many devices but make it difficult for customers to choose between flagship devices if there are too many releases at the same time. On top of that, tech that makes up the components are not on the same cycle. For instance, the 32nm chips weren't ready for the iPad (3) but are ready now and the Rogue 6 GPUs might not be ready for the 4th gen iPad which could be an issue.

Personally, I do think this iPad "mini" is a reactionary release to get a cheaper tablet out for the holidays in order to keep their competitors from occupying the low-end of the market, even if it isn't very profitable. They are best to own it all like they did with the iPad, not like they do with the iPhone and Mac, despite making the most money of all vendors in all 4 categories.
  • Reply 30 of 89

Because THIS and THIS are the same angle?!

So there's different air between the camera lens and each back case in the picture or something?

Something's sure fake.

Once again:

2. Light does not change unless passing through different media.

You really have no idea what you're talking about.

• Reply 31 of 89

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil

You have no idea what you're saying. They are being viewed FROM the same angle. And light only changes when passing through different media. You're wrong. You worded your response all wrong. Get over it. 

• Reply 32 of 89

Originally Posted by estolinski View Post

They are being FROM the same angle. And light only changes when passing through different media.

Right, yeah, I certainly can't move something and have the way light reflects off it change in any capacity, no, you're right, that doesn't happen to any material known to man.

You're wrong. You worded your response all wrong. Get over it. 

lol, irony.

• Reply 33 of 89

Quote:

Right, yeah, I certainly can't move something and have the way light reflects off it change in any capacity, no, you're right, that doesn't happen to any material known to man.

You said they were being viewed from different angles. They are being viewed from the same angle. It is a photo. It is stationary. The angle does not change. 

• Reply 34 of 89

You said they were being viewed from different angles.

But you knew exactly what I meant, yes?

• Reply 35 of 89

Quote:

But you knew exactly what I meant, yes?

I knew exactly what you wrote.

• Reply 36 of 89
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Quote:

The photo is fake. 

But why would anyone need to fake that aspect of the photo? I would start with a real photo of two iPads, and then just alter the connector on the top one.

• Reply 37 of 89
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Full-sized iPad with Lightning Port.

• Reply 38 of 89

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

I would start with a real photo of two iPads, and then just alter the connector on the top one.

Or, you know, just one. Much easier to fake that way.

• Reply 39 of 89
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    And [I]what[/I] "mid-cycle" updates?
    [/quote]

[/QUOTE]
    I'm struggling to think of a precedent myself.
    [/quote]

I thought he might be referring to minor changes such as different RAM or hard drive options that occasionally occur on Mac's
    between full "updates" or "refreshes".
  • Reply 40 of 89

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

I thought he might be referring to minor changes such as different RAM or hard drive options that occasionally occur on Mac's

between full "updates" or "refreshes".

But when has that ever happened? If it did (and I think it may have), it would have been pre-2006.