Revamped new iTunes 11 user interface hints at future of OS X

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    cycomiko wrote: »
    Hopefully the windows version still runs on XP to save me having to update my wife... I prefer to wait for haswell.

I'm guessing that there won't be a WinXP version. I'm thinking WIn7 will be the oldest version it officially supports going forward.

Perhaps I'm way off base here since there are still a lot of XP machines but I think if they were just on the older version of iTunes Apple wouldn't care.... Or maybe they would because keeping people comfortable with XP means they won't moving to Win8 and when they do it could be "shell shock" for them which could encourage a Mac sale.

Then there is the issue with Windows RT requiring apps go through MS's appstore which I don't see Apple doing for iTunes, at least not until Windows RT is a roaring success thus forcing their hand.
  • Reply 22 of 70
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Nothing you stated is what I described.

I know. I figured you had already made your point and I followed up with my own.

• Reply 23 of 70
    v5v wrote: »
    I know. I figured you had already made your point and I followed up with my own.

Ah, then mea culpa.
  • Reply 24 of 70
    All I want are the colored icons back. Why did they ever go to monochrome is beyond me.
  • Reply 25 of 70
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

You can but I assume the only playlists you can make on the device will contain tracks that are already DLed, which puts me back in the same situation.

No, you can go into playlists on iOS, make a new playlist, add the songs you want, and then download that playlist which you just created. I did it on the Apple Music app on my iPad last week, and it worked.

• Reply 26 of 70
    "Apple wrote:
    [" url="/t/153598/revamped-new-itunes-11-user-interface-hints-at-future-of-os-x#post_2215783"]
    No, you can go into playlists on iOS, make a new playlist, add the songs you want, and then download that playlist which you just created. I did it on the Apple Music app on my iPad last week, and it worked.

If I can add un-downloaded songs to a Playlist that might be the best way to start quarantining tracks I want to delete from the iCloud DB in the future. I've already removed everything from my iTunes Library on my Mac. Starting anew. I'm guessing I'll have a few hundred songs remaining when all is said and done.
  • Reply 27 of 70
    I think, at least on the Mac, they should go way iOS inspired. Separate the iTunes Store, Audio player and Video player into separate apps. Create a new podcast app as well. Even perhaps a separate app and iBooks store. Or just use the web. They have that iTunes preview website. Just make that the store.

In the apps show everything that is local, shared, available to download in one flat list with user options to download, stream etc. like you can do when you have Match or if you have TV shows in the iOS 6 video app and so on.

Then for importing, syncing etc just have the disk or device show up in the finder and have all appropriate checkboxes etc there.
  • Reply 28 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why?

the answer to your question was at the end

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonyo View Post

I don't care much about that larger goal to be honest, I just want to use itunes the way I want to use it.

Frankly I think it's time for someone to look for something other than iTunes to use. 

• Reply 29 of 70

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

the answer to your question was at the end

Ah, I see. Thanks. Never mind that a list of text is a worse way to use it, never mind that the search can and will find anything he can possibly be wanting…

• Reply 30 of 70

Quote:

If I can add un-downloaded songs to a Playlist that might be the best way to start quarantining tracks I want to delete from the iCloud DB in the future. I've already removed everything from my iTunes Library on my Mac. Starting anew. I'm guessing I'll have a few hundred songs remaining when all is said and done.

I also found out that it is possible to download just one individual song, you have to make a playlist, add just that one song, and then download the playlist. It works, though the method for getting there is frankly speaking quite retarded and most cumbersome. Previously, the same operation took just one click.

I still do not know of any way to delete an individual song from an iOS device. You can wipe the entire library from your device, but that's not exactly useful.

• Reply 31 of 70
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    [QUOTE]Originally Posted by [B]Apple ][[/B]
    I still do not know of any way to delete an individual song from an iOS device. You can wipe the entire library from your device, but that's not exactly useful.
    [/QUOTE]

On my iPhone 4S I just swipe from the right to the left and a 'Delete' button appears.
  • Reply 32 of 70
    mobius wrote: »
    On my iPhone 4S I just swipe from the right to the left and a 'Delete' button appears.

I just tried that. I can only get it to work for songs not using iTunes Match.
  • Reply 33 of 70

Quote:

I just tried that. I can only get it to work for songs not using iTunes Match.

Yes, in the previous version of iTunes Match, that's how it worked, but sadly, not anymore.

• Reply 34 of 70
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    The great thing about the original iPhone was that, although it was OSX under the hood, it didn't try to mimic desktop paradigms. I'm sure that it was a conscious decision on Apple's part so why try to mimic mobile paradigms on the desktop now?

I agree with charlituna though, the App Store should be a separate app.
  • Reply 35 of 70
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member

Quote:

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

I don't even get why Apple (and the music industry as a whole) clings so desperately to the "album" model. My interest is in the individual track. Who CARES which album the song came from? The beauty of the a la carte system brought about by iTunes is the ability to separate the wheat from the chaff -- no more buying a whole album just to get a particular track or two. Many pop artists are now releasing their works as singles, not waiting to release complete albums. The whole notion just seems like clinging to an outdated notion.

Building an update to iTunes around an album-centric model *seems* (without having tried it yet) like putting an additional, unnecessary layer between me and what I'm after, which is a particular track.

You should have that option in iTunes, BUT - I would never use it that way. I buy albums (CDs mostly), and I listen to albums (not individual songs). You can infer that my tastes in music do NOT include most modern popular music (for that, albums mostly aren't important, with some exceptions like the Decemberists). But there's a lot of music that only makes sense in albums, and those of us who are album-centric (there are a lot of us) should have that option as well. Is that so terrible? Or do you think the world should be run just for your tastes?

I'm really frustrated about the changes in iTunes for OS X - I hope an app like "Enqueue" will step up and make improvements, so it could totally replace iTunes as a music player.

• Reply 36 of 70
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I suspect this will get released the day of the iPad mini event, at least as a beta.

I don't recall Apple ever having an iTunes beta released. IIRC it's just...boom!
    maclvr03 wrote: »
    All I want are the colored icons back. Why did they ever go to monochrome is beyond me.

Same here. Which now has put my Aperture updates on hold as they removed colored icons in there as well. So I'm stuck @ 3.2.3 I understand I'll at some point need to upgrade anyhow, but sometimes putting off is worth the wait. Like Finders' Stack display, and with the .1 release they gave us the normal List view back.
    brlawyer wrote: »
    The pathetic trend towards using iOS metaphors into OS X continues unabated - guys, anyone with an extensive library does NOT want to navigate through album pictures; the traditional list view MUST remain there, unchanged.

I agree, I can't believe they are actually removing the ol' school List View. Perhaps Cmd-Option-3 will work. Or Option-Click someplace; they have a tendency to do such things.
    maclvr03 wrote: »
    And what's all this hoopla about eliminating the source sidebar? Where are we gonna find the same elements, then?

Can anyone confirm this? I sure hope it's possible to retain v10 alongside for this reason as well. I tried to run Safari5 on 10.8 which has v6 installed, but the darn browser is so integrated with the OS v5 simply didn't work. Couldn't find a way to do so. I wanted this so I'd have the Activity Window back (for easy downloads of vids with a simply Copy and Paste it in the Downloads Window) but alas, looks like it's gone to stay. And the Web Inspector doesn't help me. But I digress.

edited to clean up the formatting, but I actually made it worse - sorry
  • Reply 37 of 70

This is update looks like it’s going to be a disaster for the 12~14 of us worldwide who listen to real music. In particular, I'm extremely worried about the fate of ‘browsing by composer.’ Apple has the class to accompany Steve’s yahrzeit video with Yo-Yo Ma’s well played Bach, but it took years to add browsing by composer to iTunes and iPods—now it appears we’re losing it again. image

• Reply 38 of 70
    The bigger issue here is feature creep - as pointed out in the article here, iTunes does more with each release than previous versions, with the potential to become a mini-OS all by itself if unrestrained, in the same way as the web browser did a few years back. This is fragmenting for Apple, because if iTunes does too much, then we won't need other parts of Mac OS. But we see Apple stopping this getting too much traction, for example, there's no technical reason why iTunes couldn't also handle pictures/video when one connects their iPhone, but no, Apple keeps iPhoto in existence for that, and stops iTunes from doing it. Ok, ok, iPhoto does way more too, I know. But the point is, maintenance of an ecosystem has pains for the user, eg the nuisance of grabbing pictures from an iPhone in iPhoto, but syncing songs via iTunes - better for the average user to do it all via one app, but not better for Apple. So, we can expect iTunes 11 do do a little more than 10, but not too much more.
  • Reply 39 of 70
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by elroth View Post

[...] those of us who are album-centric (there are a lot of us) should have that option as well. Is that so terrible? Or do you think the world should be run just for your tastes?

I was basing my observations on the way I see my friends, family and co-workers using it. I don't know anyone for whom albums are a priority anymore. That doesn't mean they NEVER buy an album, just that it's the exception rather than the rule. It even seems like artists have, for the most part, ditched the "cohesive and linear album" concept. Again, there are obviously exceptions, but it doesn't seem to be the predominant delivery method anymore. The times, etc.

I do not begrudge you having the ability to manage your library by albums. In fact, I think the ability to sort according to just about any criterion like we can now is great. I just don't want to be FORCED into an album paradigm just so Apple can dumb down the Mac experience to more closely mirror iOS.

• Reply 40 of 70
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    richl wrote: »
    The great thing about the original iPhone was that, although it was OSX under the hood, it didn't try to mimic desktop paradigms. I'm sure that it was a conscious decision on Apple's part so why try to mimic mobile paradigms on the desktop now?
    I agree with charlituna though, the App Store should be a separate app.

There is absolutely no need for apps to be stored on the Mac, and no need to arrange them from the Mac. iTunes should only be for music, video, etc... The Mac App Store could have a section for mobile apps for people who want to absolutely buy from there.