G5 Surprise Release on Januay 22

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Maybe we won't be disapointed on Tuesday. The early reports on the G5 indicated plenty of 800 MHz and 1GHz chips off the initial wafers. I wouldn't put it past Steve to slip this in to clairfy the situation and not hold back new iMac sales.

This would mean the Apollo G4's will be announced at MWT for updated Powerbooks and new Sahara G3's for iBooks both with advanced motherboards.

Posibility with low probability, howeverit would be sweet and no one would complain about a new PM lineup starting with a 800MHz G5 with DDSRAM and fast motherboards.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 86
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    If it was the G5, Steve would want the "Ohhs" and "ahhs" from a crowd. He's an attention junkie, this is rumored to be a "hey, look, the G4's on Apple's site are faster" roll out with little fan fare.

However, I hope this pretty much guarantees a Apollo or G5 at MWNY, where I will be waiting with my money.
  • Reply 2 of 86
    That would be sweet indeed. I need some serious shanol to buy though.
  • Reply 3 of 86
    At this point I think any chip whether it be a G6 doesnt deserve fanfare. Apple has strained us with clock speek for too long to expect a big deal to be made out of a CHIP.

[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: Macintosh ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 86
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    If they were going to roll out the G5's Steve would wait till Seybold, or possibly the QuickTime Live show in Feb. Its too big of an anouncement for a low profile "special event".
  • Reply 5 of 86
    [quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:

<strong>At this point I think any chip whether it be a G6 doesnt deserve fanfare. Apple has strained us with clock speek for too long to expect a big deal to be made out of a CHIP.

[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: Macintosh ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

of course the g5 could easily stand for a shortened version of Powermac g5, which would be the name of the computer, NOT the chip, in which case it is a case of oohs and awss(hehehe) in the sense that if it DOES have ddr ram at 333mhz with a system bus of 333 mhz, firewire2 1.6 ghz....etc. then I would definatly ooh AND aahh
  • Reply 6 of 86
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    A G5 at 800MHz to 1GHz with DDR on Jan. 22 would be

great!

- Mark
  • Reply 7 of 86
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    would but most certainly won't.
  • Reply 8 of 86
    [quote] of course the g5 could easily stand for a shortened version of Powermac g5, which would be the name of the computer, NOT the chip, in which case it is a case of oohs and awss(hehehe) in the sense that if it DOES have ddr ram at 333mhz with a system bus of 333 mhz, firewire2 1.6 ghz....etc. then I would definatly ooh AND aahh <hr></blockquote>

Huh?

The Gx designation denotes the chip design, not the computer. That's why the iMac, the Titanium, and the Powermacs all have G4s, but they are all different computers.

I think this rumor about new powermacs early next week is BS. It's too pathetic, and it doesn't fit with any of the other rumors going around. All of the other rumors suggest new motherboards, updated ram and agp graphics, and either a G5 or an apollo. Now this rumor comes out, purportedly leaked by an Apple rep, that consists of ultra-lame Powermacs with only a 133 MHz speed bump. The G4 hasn't been speedbumped since MWNY, and all Motorola can muster up is 133 MHz? I don't believe it. When the 867 G4 began shipping, people were successfuly overclocking them to 1 GHz, so such a speed bump would be the result of virtually no progress at all on G4 development at motorola.
  • Reply 9 of 86
    m5884m5884 Posts: 69member
    I agree with junkyard the next PowerMac upgrade will have to at least be up to 1.4Ghz.

If all Mot can come up with is another 133Mhz it will be the doom of Apple's professional line. We need a big upgrade very fast. I think if all they were going to do was another 133Mhz it would have been done at MWSF. The reason the PowerMac was not updated was because they have a big update coming and did not want to detract form the imac. If Mot only has 133Mhz in six months we know that their must only be 12 people working in the PowerPC section. Of which four of them are janitors.
  • Reply 10 of 86
    [quote]Originally posted by Macintosh:

<strong> Apple has strained us with clock speek for too long to expect a big deal to be made out of a CHIP.</strong><hr></blockquote>

YEAH! I WAN'T A COOKIE!
  • Reply 11 of 86
    falconfalcon Posts: 458member
    The next pm rev is gonna bomb, at least with us. Just watch. News of a DP1Ghz G4 top is flooding the web.
  • Reply 12 of 86
    If Apple offers up such a minuscule speedbump, then it would mean they are committing R&D to a totally new Powermac replacement. That's the only explanation.

My guess is, even if next week brings 1 GHz Powermacs, that MWNY will bring Powermac G5s running at 1.2, 1.4, and 1.6, possibly even 1.8 GHz.

G5 Powermac prototypes have been in field testing for 6 months already. MWNY is a reasonable time to expect them to come to market. It does make sense that they would take a long time to get out, since with both a new CPU and a new mobo, there are going to be lots of kinks to work out.

Of course, by the time the 1.6 GHz G5s ship, Wintels will be at 3.2 GHz...Macs will remain at half the GHz of Wintels...LOL! Motorola, even on the verge of greatness, stubbornly refuses to pull their head out of their ass.
  • Reply 13 of 86
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>If Apple offers up such a minuscule speedbump, then it would mean they are committing R&D to a totally new Powermac replacement. That's the only explanation.

My guess is, even if next week brings 1 GHz Powermacs, that MWNY will bring Powermac G5s running at 1.2, 1.4, and 1.6, possibly even 1.8 GHz.

G5 Powermac prototypes have been in field testing for 6 months already. MWNY is a reasonable time to expect them to come to market. It does make sense that they would take a long time to get out, since with both a new CPU and a new mobo, there are going to be lots of kinks to work out.

Of course, by the time the 1.6 GHz G5s ship, Wintels will be at 3.2 GHz...Macs will remain at half the GHz of Wintels...LOL! Motorola, even on the verge of greatness, stubbornly refuses to pull their head out of their ass.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Agree with everything but the time frame. Apple won't sit on these towers for 6 months. I think march would be the time to move.
  • Reply 14 of 86
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    So we should expect

Dual 1Ghz top. With the same old shit motherboard, bus, same HD size, same RAM.

Selling price = $3499 or maybe even higher because Steve Jobs thinks this (Ghz) is a break through and worth to rip off their loyal customers even more.

hah
  • Reply 15 of 86
    mspmsp Posts: 40member
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>If Apple offers up such a minuscule speedbump, then it would mean they are committing R&D to a totally new Powermac replacement. That's the only explanation.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

The other explanation (of course), is that Apple is only able to sell what is available from their suppliers.
  • Reply 16 of 86
    mokimoki Posts: 551member
    Let me be the first to say that I would be pleased as punch to place my order for a G5 the second it comes out.

However, unless there is a *major* conspiracy going on inside both Apple and Motorola, you simply are not going to see a G5 until very late this year, or early next year.
  • Reply 17 of 86
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    According to many people the G5 will be the biggest jump in PPC architecture since the birth of the G3.

The coming of the new G5 will be a big event. You can be sure that Steve Jobs himself will be happy to show his new monster personaly. He will show us a demonstration of photoshop under mac os X, going ten times more quickly than the pentium 4 with a big smile.

I won't bet a single euro on a surprise release of the G5 monday : but why not the appolo G4 ?

One thing is clear : they will a new powermac line before march.

As i have post in a thread : i don't know many fools that are going to buy a powermac those days ...
  • Reply 18 of 86
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    Wake up!

The G5 will not appear next week unless it's a rebadged G4.

And Power Macs topping out at dual 1GHz G4s will sell just fine, thank you very much.

Instead of worrying about comparing penis size... I mean Quake frame rates... with Pentium and Athlon users, think about the real world and just how well these things will run OS X, Final Cut Pro, and Photoshop when it finally appears.
  • Reply 19 of 86
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    [quote]Originally posted by Falcon:

<strong>The next pm rev is gonna bomb, at least with us. Just watch. News of a DP1Ghz G4 top is flooding the web.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I would remind you that earlier this week it was rumours of 1.4GHz G4s.

Not to say that either will or won't be released but what websites believe and what Apple do so often don't coincide.

On the topic of the G5 I think it is a fairly safe bet it will be released at some for of Expo when it comes. Apple will want more publicity than a special event generates. They also wouldn't want to release it in January even if it were ready.
  • Reply 20 of 86
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    If rumors are to be believed that OS X 10.2 will ship at MWNY, it's also likely that with it, the totally new Powermacs G5 will be introduced.

It's likely that 10.2 will sport some optimisations for 64bit chips, the new motherboard etc...

I find it unlikely that G5 is coming before 10.2, but I also find it unlikely that G5 is coming later than NY.

G-News