Apple reportedly testing iOS 6.0.1 with keyboard, camera flash, Wi-Fi fixes

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple is said to have provided its U.S. carrier partners with a pre-release build of iOS 6.0.1, an update for its mobile operating system that will reportedly address a graphical glitch with the virtual keyboard, as well as issues that would cause the camera's flash to not go off when expected.

The forthcoming software update will also address some issues related to Wi-Fi connectivity, BGR reported on Monday. The site also said that Apple plans to add a "consolidated cellular data switch" for iTunes Match, which should help prevent some users from accidentally using their mobile data plan.

iOS 6

Further issues said to be resolved with the software update related to cellular data not working in some cases, a bug that would allow access to Passbook pass details from the lock screen, and an issue in which Exchange meetings could be unexpectedly canceled for an entire group of invitees.

Monday's report also claimed that Apple has begun testing iOS 6.1, suggesting it is unlikely to arrive with the new "iPad mini" expected to be unveiled on Tuesday.

AppleInsider highlighted the iOS 6 keyboard graphical glitch last week, which occasionally shows screen distortion when entering an Apple ID password. The issue is only cosmetic and appears to be limited to the iPhone 5.

Issues related to Wi-Fi with iOS 6 have also been widely reported since the launch of the software update last month. In particular, iPhone 4S and third-generation iPad users have said that they have experienced disabled Wi-Fi connectivity.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    No wifi problems here, though I have seen the keyboard glitch.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    I hope they fixed also the issue where Podcasts or Music that were paused will start playing after a phone call ends.
  • Reply 3 of 35

Hey, all right. Good for that. Release on Thursday, anyone?

• Reply 4 of 35
    Hope they fixed the touch interface in general. It's just not as sensitive as on iP4.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Hope they fixed the touch interface in general. It's just not as sensitive as on iP4.

I noticed the same thing. 

• Reply 6 of 35
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by netrox View Post

This tends to happen with all big number releases of the OS lately and it's getting kind of irritating IMO.  It's as if the hardware and software are so finely tuned that they have to re-calibrate with every release or something.  Very irritating.  

For me, four finger gestures in particular have been reduced from working every single time to only working about once out of every five tries lately.  

• Reply 7 of 35
    Have the keyboard glitch. Also have been dealing with an old issue on the new device, even after a restore: the camera shutter would not open when you launch the app.
  • Reply 8 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by netrox View Post

Me three.

• Reply 9 of 35

I have seen the keyboard issue quite a few times since I updated my iPhone 4S to iOS 6. I am surprised this was never caught during the Developer Preview (unless the bug was not present then).

• Reply 10 of 35
    Wow, so many problems; Apple is doomed¡

Seriously though, I think - in general - they are really doing a great job. Steady software updates, most likely constant updates on the backend and hardware updates when it makes sense. Gotta love this company for what it is doing, what it stands for.
  • Reply 11 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This tends to happen with all big number releases of the OS lately and it's getting kind of irritating IMO.  It's as if the hardware and software are so finely tuned that they have to re-calibrate with every release or something.  Very irritating.  

For me, four finger gestures in particular have been reduced from working every single time to only working about once out of every five tries lately.  

I actually didn't notice it with iOS5. But it is quite noticeable this time in multiple ways:

- Sometimes, I would keep tapping or swiping and nothing would happen. Then suddenly, the delayed reaction screws up whatever I am doing.

- Sometimes, I would tap a button and it reacts as if another has been tapped.

- Sometimes, I have to refresh the screen (this is in Safari) or restart an app.

I can't say the occurrences are frequent or persistent.

• Reply 12 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Wow, so many problems; Apple is doomed¡

Seriously though, I think - in general - they are really doing a great job. Steady software updates, most likely constant updates on the backend and hardware updates when it makes sense. Gotta love this company for what it is doing, what it stands for.

By today's standard, they are doing a good job. It seems the norm now for every company to leave annoying bugs or problems in major releases. I cannot imagine that they don't have a proper test plan. So surely they are aware of some of these issues. But, as I said, it seems the norm now for every company to release everything in "beta" form. I kind of blame the proliferation of web-based apps for this, because users have come to expect these to be buggy.

• Reply 13 of 35
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

I actually didn't notice it with iOS5. But it is quite noticeable this time in multiple ways:

- Sometimes, I would keep tapping or swiping and nothing would happen. Then suddenly, the delayed reaction screws up whatever I am doing.

- Sometimes, I would tap a button and it reacts as if another has been tapped.

- Sometimes, I have to refresh the screen (this is in Safari) or restart an app.

I can't say the occurrences are frequent or persistent.

I didn't know those kind of problems occured. Never had a problem with my iPhone 3G, 3GS or iPad. Didn't notice on 5 yet.

Hope they fix this if it's broken. iPhone was famous for being precise, this is primordial.

I'm hoping that they'll present a new OS X soon too.

• Reply 14 of 35

Please tell me thi will fix the using cell data when wifi is connected bug.  I like my 4s BUt if apple does not fix this bug I will have to get another brand phone. I cant keep turning cell phone data off just so my apps can connect. My office at work is in the basement and I have wifi but no cell data and before ios 6 the phone would correctly use the wifi.

• Reply 15 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post

Please tell me thi will fix the using cell data when wifi is connected bug.  I like my 4s BUt if apple does not fix this bug I will have to get another brand phone. I cant keep turning cell phone data off just so my apps can connect. My office at work is in the basement and I have wifi but no cell data and before ios 6 the phone would correctly use the wifi.

I thought they had already rolled that one out.

• Reply 16 of 35
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eternal Emperor View Post

I thought they had already rolled that one out.

You're thinking about a separate Wi-fi issue that reared it's head at the initial release. Misdirected page call or something of the sort? Can't remember but it was an easy fix. This problem has been a persistent issue for some users with no solid fix AFAIK

• Reply 17 of 35
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Gosh, I hope they fixed this, I hope they fixed that, they better fix this and that. Amazing how some generalize any problem they have into a "known" issue that everybody has, Apple knows about, Apple is ignoring, sweeping under the rug, lying about it, covering up. Then after every update they are amazed and angered that their "known issue" hasn't been addressed. Then there's the ubiquitous "an Apple Genius admitted" comment. What a frigging zoo.

• Reply 18 of 35
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member

^--- There is no denying the huge Bluetooth blunder from iOS 6. Virtually all aftermarket and OEM bluetooth radios have major issues with iOS 6. Some don't even work. 

There is a 31 page discussion on Apple's Support forums. Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine have all released press statements about it. What are they going to do? Release firmware updates for every head unit? Apple screwed something up here. That needs to be fixed pronto.

• Reply 19 of 35

Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

There is a 31 page discussion on Apple's Support forums.

I love how this, which is not a measure of anything, has become the measure of the severity of a "problem".

• Reply 20 of 35

@Harbinger:

Where do you get the delay actions.? Mail or Web.

Do you use other languages apart from popular Languages?

We use Myanmar (Burmese) Unicode font to view our language on Mail and Web. Once we receive email or web contain our font, touch response was delayed depends on how many characters on that mail or web. If there is alot of characters, it delayed at least a minute. Ha.haa..

What an amazing iOS6, iPhone, iPad !!!!

All the Burmese people are screwed by APPLE.

I am not the apple hater but I hate them on this now.

Now I can't use all iOS devices. I can't downgrade to iOS5.

Mr Tim Cook.

What an amazing iOS6, iPhone, iPad !!!! Amazingly wait 1 mins to get what you want..

Web Engine screw a lot on the unpopular unicode Language system.

I submit a lot of feedback, wrote on the apple. No one care.