Product leaks prompt Apple CEO Tim Cook to take security to new levels

Comments

• Reply 21 of 105
    Don't forget, lots of other supposed "leaks" turned out to not be true. Other than the iPhone 4, there has always been at least doubt that these leaks are true. Even now, we're not 100% sure there's going to be an "iPad Mini", nor what the details will be if there is one.

The engineers may be unhappy, but the buzz created by the leaks is invaluable PR for Apple. And still, most normal people don't even hear about them. I'd say there's little damage done, and while they should continue to try to stop the leaks, too much effort is wasted energy.
  • Reply 22 of 105
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    nakedape2 wrote: »
    Given that Apple has always had tight security, and given that they have recently made it even tighter, my conclusion is that the recent "leaks" in the media are really stories planted by Apple to get advanced publicity.  You can't buy that kind of PR!

Apple knows how to best get a lot of buzz about their products, and how to make sure that lots of people are waiting to buy on day one.  So far, the strategy has worked very well.
    I think the iPhone 5 proves that's a bunch of bull. All those unfinished case leaks made a lot of people hate on the design before they ever got their hands one one. We saw unfinished cases that didn't have the polished chamfered edges, didn't have the tight tolerances, photos with bad lighting, etc. Nothing that made the device look flattering. Yet most, if not all the reviews I've read gave the design high praise. John Gruber went so far as to say its the nicest thing he owns. And many said you have to see the phone in person, that pictures don't do it justice. Imagine if we had had zero case leaks and the first photos people saw were the official shots on Apple's website.
  • Reply 23 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

And my conclusion is that you are in serious tinfoil hat territory.

Apple gets all of the PR that it does, because it is the best and most influential tech company on the planet, with hundreds of millions of extremely happy customers. And when Apple releases a new product, it is news everywhere, and the media are going to write about it, because everybody is interested in reading about what the most innovative tech company is up to.

Your theory makes no sense at all, it is quite delusional to put it rather mildly. When somebody presents a retarded conspiracy theory, the burden is on them to provide proof to back up their insane ramblings.

Apple's products don't sell because of PR, they sell because Apple consistently delivers kick fucking ass products, and people are more than happy to fork over their hard earned money to own said products.

easy, sparky.  The idea of intentional leaks isn't new or unusual.  The rumors abuzz definitely help word get out, long before the actual release.

• Reply 24 of 105
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    All these people with their conspiracy theories remind me of those who think Apple intentionally constrained supply of the iPhone 5 to increase demand. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 25 of 105

Frankly leaks are always going to happen, especially when you deal with the scale of mainstream products. It's too easy to get something out on the internet. 

• Reply 26 of 105
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NakedApe2 View Post

Given that Apple has always had tight security, and given that they have recently made it even tighter, my conclusion is that the recent "leaks" in the media are really stories planted by Apple to get advanced publicity.  You can't buy that kind of PR!

Apple knows how to best get a lot of buzz about their products, and how to make sure that lots of people are waiting to buy on day one.  So far, the strategy has worked very well.

Someone had re-post diarrhea

• Reply 27 of 105
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

I find it kind of funny (if its true) if the engineers are complaining about not taking the phone out for testing considering the hillarious, PR-wrecking stories of them leaving highly-classified phones in bars.  That's just inexcusable.

I agree with some posters here that if anything, Apple really needs to tighten the noose around the folks in China that leak the photos.  It's a tough, if not impossible, job to do considering the countless steps in the supply chain that I would not even begin to visualize.

If anyone can do it, Tim Cook can.  Every tech company out there would love to have Tim Cook's expertise in this area.

• Reply 28 of 105
    @nakedape2

Please feel free to chime in here.
  • Reply 29 of 105
    @nakedape2

Please feel free to chime in here.
  • Reply 30 of 105
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    Maybe they should double down on quality control instead of worrying about this. If anything, the leaks generate buzz which generate sales. I'm not buying it.
  • Reply 31 of 105
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member

Apple really needs to tighten security in China, not in its headquarters and labs.

• Reply 32 of 105
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    nakedape2 wrote: »
    I think you should post this a few more times... Looks like the last 15 times wasn't good enough. ;)

I'd thumb this up, but can't as I'm on an iPad right now. Nonetheless, what the bleep happened here?
  • Reply 33 of 105
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Honestly, when the sources of the leaks are coming out of Asia and outside of Apple control what can they do. They probably threaten companies which never doing business with them again, and it that is the only company who makes the particular part for Apple then it is easy to say they let it leak, but in most cases Apple probably has 2 or 3 companies making the same parts. 

But, taking it out on the employees will be a bad thing in the long run since at some point people will go else where so not to work they are being watched.

• Reply 34 of 105
    Didn't he say that earlier, only to have the iPhone 5 leaked in it's entirety throughout its development?
  • Reply 35 of 105
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Apple really needs to tighten security in China, not in its headquarters and labs.

I would say both. There have been a few incidents with lazy, careless and/or drunk Apple employees.

But yes, security in China definitely need to be stepped up also.

• Reply 36 of 105
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Rumor: New Apple TV!

Made in China

Leaked image of the new Apple TV with the power turned off.

• Reply 37 of 105

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I'd thumb this up, but can't as I'm on an iPad right now. Nonetheless, what the bleep happened here?

I hit Submit, and nothing happened.  I hit it again, and got a beach ball, and then that cleared and I got the same screen as though it was not submitted.  So I tried again and again.

And what accounts for all the nastiness directed towards a new poster? Why does this site allow it?

• Reply 38 of 105
    Grass is always greener. The Apple engineer whining about tight security will be the same one who whines when his stock price tanks due to the missing allure of Apple's product unveilings.

Cheer up boss; your company is riding high right now. Cherish its protocols, as it's what's allowing you to drive that sweet-ass car and to live in an area where a million-dollar home looks like meth lab in any other part of the country.
  • Reply 39 of 105

Quote:

I hit Submit, and nothing happened.  I hit it again, and got a beach ball, and then that cleared and I got the same screen as though it was not submitted.  So I tried again and again.

And what accounts for all the nastiness directed towards a new poster? Why does this site allow it?

• Reply 40 of 105

Quote: