'iPad mini' event reaffirmed to highlight education uses

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Are you saying that the words attributed to Jobs are inaccurate?

Oh, no! Not offended by the content of what is being said nor questioning the accuracy thereof. I just personally dislike the use of 'bible' in non-religious contexts and personally don't think the biography could even be considered anything remotely close to that definition of the word in that context. It just wasn't good.

• Reply 22 of 34
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Instead of the year's book fee, there's an iPad fee. Kid drops it, he pays for it. Just like books. Heaven forbid we teach children to take care of their possessions.

Except for those that cannot afford it, where tax payers will subsidize.

• Reply 23 of 34

Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Except for those that cannot afford it, where tax payers will subsidize.

Same as with books now, yeah? So regardless of your take on that particular issue (and hopefully we can go without taking on that issue), it works out to the same situation as in the past. 

• Reply 24 of 34

Quote:

Same as with books now, yeah? So regardless of your take on that particular issue (and hopefully we can go without taking on that issue), it works out to the same situation as in the past. 

But books don't break when placed in backpacks and thrown around, typical student use case. Those ipads don't seem to respond so well to the same treatment. And have you ever told a kid to be careful with their stuff? Same for theft. Don't hear much about kids getting their books stolen on the bus. A little different story with ipads.

• Reply 25 of 34

But books don't break when placed in backpacks and thrown around, typical student use case. Those ipads don't seem to respond so well to the same treatment. 

Guess they'll have to be taught to take care of their stuff in accordance with the stuff in question, huh. They shouldn't be throwing around books in the first place.

And have you ever told a kid to be careful with their stuff?

Of course? At least as often as I was told? And I don't have to buy replacement crap of ANYTHING due to accidence incurred by me because I learned early on to take care of things. Teach 'em early and maybe we won't have thousands of morons trying to get AppleCare free replacements for pouring soda into Macs.

Same for theft. Don't hear much about kids getting their books stolen on the bus. A little different story with ipads.

When every kid has one, it's less of an issue. When every one has tracking software, it's less of an issue. When it's possible that they wouldn't even be able to take them home, it's less of an issue. 

• Reply 26 of 34

Quote:

Guess they'll have to be taught to take care of their stuff in accordance with the stuff in question, huh. They shouldn't be throwing around books in the first place.

Yep, and teach them manners, no bullying, no fighting. Utopia.

• Reply 27 of 34

Yep, and teach them manners, no bullying, no fighting. Utopia.

Why are you continuing to pretend they won't be punished for damages, just as they are now?

• Reply 28 of 34

Quote:

Why are you continuing to pretend they won't be punished for damages, just as they are now?

Why do you pretend you can just teach kids to be gentle with school books?

• Reply 29 of 34
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Quote:

iPads are suitable for children of all ages. The very young need to be supervised more closely much as they are with finger paint and other accident prone media. Older children sociologically are much better conditioned these days to treat computers and mobile devices with more care than years ago when they only had textbooks in their backpacks, and in the large majority of cases they are not taking the device home unless checked out by a parent. Some schools will install protective covers to minimize damage. Even so accidents do happen. The school has the choice of forgiveness, insurance, Apple Care+, asking the parent to pay for the damges, paying for the repairs themselves or caning the child and or the parent, state law permitting.

• Reply 30 of 34

Probably because it worked for me, and I'm still legally human, so I figure it can work for kids these days, too. A lot of things common sense things worked for me when I was just taught them. I imagine others can be taught the same way. 

Again, just speaking from personal experience. Learned early on that if I destroy something, I no longer have that thing, and so when I wanted to have things, I didn't destroy them. Doesn't seem too complicated to get.

• Reply 31 of 34

Quote:

Probably because it worked for me, and I'm still legally human, so I figure it can work for kids these days, too. A lot of things common sense things worked for me when I was just taught them. I imagine others can be taught the same way. 

Again, just speaking from personal experience. Learned early on that if I destroy something, I no longer have that thing, and so when I wanted to have things, I didn't destroy them. Doesn't seem too complicated to get.

It is not any easier to pick up your clothes instead of throwing it on the ground and I do a lot of yelling about it. Not too complicated, but just doesn't happen. But I am sure giving kids ipads will change all of that.

Besides, unless there is a way to prove my kid broke the ipad, I ain't paying. How do I know some other kid didn't break it? How do I know it wasn't broken before it was issued to my kid?

• Reply 32 of 34
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

It is not any easier to pick up your clothes instead of throwing it on the ground and I do a lot of yelling about it. Not too complicated, but just doesn't happen. But I am sure giving kids ipads will change all of that.

He just used the words "common sense" and "children" in the same sentence.  I have a reasonably smart kid (at least according to test scores) but if I had a nickel for every time I asked him "why on earth did you think THAT was a good idea" I wouldn't have to worry about his college fund anymore.

• Reply 33 of 34

Besides, unless there is a way to prove my kid broke the ipad, I ain't paying. How do I know some other kid didn't break it? How do I know it wasn't broken before it was issued to my kid?

Do you not have any idea how book damages are handled or something? Are you just ignoring that, or what's going on here. When given to the child, it is the child's property and responsibility. If it gets destroyed on his watch, unless there is evidence of external foul play, it's being paid for by him, period.

• Reply 34 of 34
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    philboogie wrote: »
    From the bible:

Aside from the theological insult, calling that… thing… any sort of "bible" bothers me. 

That was indeed over the top. Really like that bio though.