Rumor roundup: What to expect from Apple's 'iPad mini' event

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
With only hours to go before Apple's special event kicks off in San Jose, Calif., AppleInsider offers a collection of the latest news and rumors about the "iPad mini," 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display, and other products said to be in Apple's pipeline.

iPads

The highlight of Tuesday's event is expected to be a new 7.85-inch iPad, which is said to have a display resolution of 1,024 by 768 and will run existing iPad applications. The device is expected to lower the barrier to entry for the iPad lineup, undercutting the $399 iPad 2 that currently serves as Apple's entry-level model.

Like the existing 9.7-inch iPad, the smaller model is expected to have forward- and rear-facing cameras, as well as a thinner bezel on the sides that would allow the device to be more easily operated with one hand. A leaked battery has also shown a 16.7 watt-hour battery, while the display is expected to have the same aspect ratio as the full-size iPad.

Invitation

It's also anticipated that the new Lightning connector found on the iPhone 5 and latest iPods will be featured on the iPad mini.

The new Lightning connector may also make an appearance in an updated third-generation iPad with Retina display, if some rumors prove accurate. While a mid-cycle product refresh would be uncharacteristic for Apple, a handful of new photos have suggested the current iPad could receive a minor revision.

Rendering Front/Back
"iPad mini" rendering by Martin Hajek.

Last week, AppleInsider received a product list that suggested Apple plans to announce 12 different configurations of iPad models, each of which are expected to be available in two colors. Four models ? described as P101, P103, P105 and P107 ? were detailed via stock-keeping units ranked as "good," "better" and "best."

The expected launch date for the iPad mini is Friday, Nov. 2, which is less than two weeks after the device is expected to be announced. But the iPad won't be the only product line to receive stage time at Tuesday's event, if rumors are to be believed.

Macs

Apple is also said to be planning to unveil a 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display. Last week, images claiming to show the final product leaked online, featuring two Thunderbolt ports, an SD card reader and an HDMI output. The person who has their hands on the alleged MacBook Pro claimed it does not feature a discrete graphics card.

Mac lineup

A new iMac could also be launched this week, asAppleInsider was told on Tuesday that there are whispers in the reseller community that the updated desktop could become available on Wednesday. The iMac is expected to be redesigned with a thinner profile, though reports have said it will not feature a high-resolution Retina display.

And the diminutive Mac mini, Apple's small desktop computer and least expensive Mac, is also overdue for an update to Intel's latest Ivy Bridge processors. Supply of the Mac mini has been constrained at third-party resellers since earlier this month, which is often one of the first signs that a product refresh is forthcoming.

One product not expected to see a refresh this week is the company's Mac Pro desktop. Earlier this year, Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook revealed that his company is planning a "really great" update to arrive in 2013.

iTunes & iBooks

First announced by Apple in September, the newly redesigned iTunes software for Mac and PC is scheduled to arrive in late October. That means it's likely that the software could arrive as soon as Tuesday, following Apple's keynote.

iTunes 11 features a redesigned interface that hints at new concepts that Apple could adopt in its larger OS X platform. Apple said in September that the new iTunes user interface is "dramatically simpler," while new features have been added like a redesigned mini player and tighter iCloud interation.

iTunes 11

Finally, word also leaked over the weekend that Apple is planning to release a major update for its iBooks application for iPad and iPhone. It's expected that Apple plans to use iBooks 3.0 along with the new iPad mini to push sales of the lower priced device to education buyers.

The education market is said by people familiar with Apple's plans to be a major focus at Tuesday's event. Apple has also recently tweaked its education sales force to emphasize iPads, as they offer a lower entry price to budget conscious schools than the company's Mac lineup.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    "A leaked battery"? ! : 0
  • Reply 2 of 29

I think an interesting take would be to post what from this list we each think will NOT be showing up.

Because Apple never gives us everything the rumors say.

• Reply 3 of 29
    I think an interesting take would be to post what from this list we each think will NOT be showing up.

Because Apple never gives us everything the rumors say.

I think all of it is likely enough, except the "tweaked" iPad 3. It just seems like having a single change, mid-product cycle, would alienate current iPad 3 owners without adding much value to the current product. I still wouldn't bet against it, though.
  • Reply 4 of 29

Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

I think all of it is likely enough, except the "tweaked" iPad 3. It just seems like having a single change, mid-product cycle, would alienate current iPad 3 owners without adding much value to the current product. I still wouldn't bet against it, though.

I actually see that. I believe they're…____…doing it. 

The Macs I actually don't see. I want to see them, I'd love new, redesigned iMacs and the Mac Mini, which is waiting for the iMacs, but it's an iDevice event… 

• Reply 5 of 29
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I don't really think they need to show off new Macs anymore. People will buy them the moment the media is talking about it. Except for breakthrough products, like the rMBP. But to announce a simple iMac or MacMini, I don't think so.

For the smaller iPad, yes, mega media event! They could make it really thin, release it without a camera, without cellular, possibly with just a single storage capacity. Many, many colours. Really target it for education. Kids so much like to show off their mine-is-bigger-than-yours it would be great if Apple just released a single hardware spec version, in many colours.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The Macs I actually don't see. I want to see them, I'd love new, redesigned iMacs and the Mac Mini, which is waiting for the iMacs, but it's an iDevice event… 

Where is the invitation does it say iOS Device? All I see is "We've got a little more to show you." the "little" could very well apply to "small" devices ranging from iMac, to Apple TV, to Mac Mini, possibly even MBA, although arguably a 27" iMac is not "little"

• Reply 7 of 29
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

If they released an iPad 3 with the new LC plug it would make perfect sense. New buyers get the latest, existing owners get it when they upgrade. Makes perfect sense to me. And it wouldn't be the first time for Apple: they've done that before with slightly altered Mac Pro's, slightly altered PSU, heck, even with the iPad 2nd gen.
  • Reply 8 of 29

Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Where is the invitation does it say iOS Device?

iDevice events talk about iDevices.

Mac events talk about Macs. 

If the iPad mini is being released, I don't see any Macs showing up at all.

• Reply 9 of 29

I think it makes some sense to tack the Mac updates onto the "mini" announcement. The updates are due, and the holiday season is fast approaching. If Apple didn't update now they would have to wait out the return period on the holiday Macs to avoid a deluge of returns, which means we'd be looking at an update at the end of January. Not sure what precedence says on the matter. On another line of reasoning, a quiet announcement for Macs on the website wouldn't get as much talk as a minor add-on to the "mini" event... might as well put it out there while the media is chattering, and I doubt it would steal the "mini's" thunder... or lightning.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    philboogie wrote: »
    If they released an iPad 3 with the new LC plug it would make perfect sense. New buyers get the latest, existing owners get it when they upgrade. Makes perfect sense to me. And it wouldn't be the first time for Apple: they've done that before with slightly altered Mac Pro's, slightly altered PSU, heck, even with the iPad 2nd gen.

Could go that way. As I said, I wouldn't bet against it, but it's one less feature for the iPad 4, and it isn't likely to get many upgraders from the 3 camp. I agree, though, that Apple has done this sort of thing before, so it shouldn't be a surprise if it turns out to be true.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

I seem to recall Macs being updated along with iDevices during the same event in the past.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    Another thought on the LC on the iPad 3, though, is that it would seem a little conspicuous that the entry-level "mini" would get the new tech before the proper iPad... so maybe there is more of a case for it than against.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

It's still all Apple, so I don't see why not. I want to see Apple release a whole shitload of things tomorrow, iOS, Mac, bring it all on!

• Reply 14 of 29

No one said they didn't want to see Apple release everything, but it just doesn't seem likely based on the past.

• Reply 15 of 29

Originally Posted by extramedium View Post

No one said they didn't want to see Apple release everything, but it just doesn't seem likely based on the past.

Bingo. 

• Reply 16 of 29
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

And maybe Apple will surprise us.

Remember what they said not that long ago, they didn't want to be predictable. I for one would welcome an unpredictable Apple! image

• Reply 17 of 29

Quote:

Unless it's a "mini" event at which we could see the Mac mini.

An iMac mini, though, just sounds wrong.

A Mac Pro mini?  Now we're talking!

• Reply 18 of 29
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't mention the iMac or mini but it gets a silent update. Ivy bridge, faster ram, better graphics, USB 3 (by default)- that's it. Just like the pro this summer (but not as crappy).

Wouldn't be the first time we waited forever for an update and get an underwhelming one when they could have done it months ago. I'd still welcome it over nothing though- would love to see a redesign... But we'll see.
  • Reply 19 of 29

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Just like the pro this summer (but not as crappy).

You mean an actual update with actual changes.

• Reply 20 of 29

Quote:

You mean an actual update with actual changes.

Lemon Bon Bon.