'iPad mini' event will be streamed live to Apple TV, Mac & iOS devices

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple has added a new channel to its Apple TV set-top box called "Apple Events" that will live stream the company's media briefing today. In addition, the event will also be streamed to iOS devices and Macs.

Users are invited to tune in at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern to watch the "Apple Special Event" live. The presentation will be held at the California Theatre in San Jose.

In addition to a live stream of the event, Apple TV users can also watch Apple's other presentations, including the iPhone 5 unveiling, the 2012 Worldwide Developers Conference, and the introduction of the third-generation iPad with Retina display. Streaming via Apple TV requires a second- or third-generation model with software 5.0.2 or later.

For those on a Mac, the live stream requires Safari 4 or later on OS X 10.6 or later. On iOS devices, Safari on iOS 4.2 or later is required. The stream will be made available on Apple's website.

Apple TV

Apple has on occasion offered live streams of its events, most recently in September of 2010. However, those events were streamed to Mac and iOS devices, not the Apple TV.

A week ago, Apple sent invitations to members of the press inviting them to see "a little more." The company is expected to introduce a new, smaller iPad with a 7.85-inch display.

Also potentially on tap today are new Macs, most prominently a new 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display. The company may also introduce a new version of iBooks, and a revamped version of its iTunes desktop software.

AppleInsider will have full, live coverage of today's event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

I noticed that two hours ago, but I didn't bother posting it here because they never give credit round here and just would have posted a separate story.

The new channel is called "Apple Events" btw.

• Reply 2 of 65

While very good, also very unfortunate for those of us at work and away from their Apple TVs at home.

• Reply 3 of 65

Stuck this into two other threads.

I think they really want to "show" us something!

Could it be a TV?   Just kidding.  Maybe.

• Reply 4 of 65
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Barriault View Post

While very good, also very unfortunate for those of us at work and away from their Apple TVs at home.

...and for those of us for whom the event starts at 1:00 AM!

• Reply 5 of 65
    The UK Store is now offline guys!

:-)
  • Reply 6 of 65
    leighrleighr Posts: 253member
    I'd have to tip that the iPad mini will be available in the same colours as the iPod Touch, and in 16gb and 32gb versions.
  • Reply 7 of 65
    Oh man thats awesome. And it's great evening timing for me here in Europe. So I'll buy some crisps on my way home from work. And tune in.
  • Reply 8 of 65
    Awesome! Love my Apple TV.
  • Reply 9 of 65
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I'll see how the day goes.
  • Reply 10 of 65
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I hope a live stream app shows up in the App Store. Or better yet a live stream link on apple.com
  • Reply 11 of 65
    What a great day to be working from home in the afternoon! Will definitely be tuning in!
  • Reply 12 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by ieverything View Post

Oh man thats awesome. And it's great evening timing for me here in Europe. So I'll buy some crisps on my way home from work. And tune in.

Yep, definitely one of the bonuses of being a UK Apple fan, all the announcements are at 6pm, so you can watch or read about them live after work.

• Reply 13 of 65
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    rcoleman1 wrote: »
    Awesome! Love my Apple TV.

Me too! Still the best streamer around.

Ok- now that Hulu plus is up- and iPads have amazon instant, hbo go, and show time. Lets bring those three and a music streamer (pandora, spotify, Etc) to the Apple TV to make it the best by a mile!

If they announce apps for the atv (unlikely)- it'll be the best announcement today!
  • Reply 14 of 65

Nice it will be 7:00pm where I live. I guess I will have to pick up some beer and chips on the way home. image

• Reply 15 of 65
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ieverything View Post

anyone can confirm that this is available outside the US?

• Reply 16 of 65
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    I predict my productivity will suffer today.
  • Reply 17 of 65

It is also available as a stream from the Internet... go to the Apple website.
  • Reply 18 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

I predict my productivity will suffer today.

It started already. Ah well 3 more hours to go, then get home quickly and have a stop at the nearby shop to get beer and chips and startup my appleTV.

• Reply 19 of 65
    'Streamed to iOS devices and Macs...' From where/how? iTunes? Apple website?
  • Reply 20 of 65

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

'Streamed to iOS devices and Macs...' From where/how? iTunes? Apple website?

There is a new link on the Apple Website so far only on the US localized site.