Parts claim to show 'iPad mini' Wi-Fi, GPS & Bluetooth antennas

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
With just a few hours to go before the anticipated unveiling of the "iPad mini," yet another series of components have leaked, this time purporting to show the Wi-Fi-, Bluetooth and GPS antennas.

Bluetooth
Purported iPad mini Bluetooth antenna.

Apple's media event will kick off at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern, and will be streamed live to the Apple TV set-top box. AppleInsider will have full, live coverage of the event.

Pictures of the parts were published on Tuesday by Nowhereelse.fr. The parts are shown as Apple's online store has expectedly gone down ahead of the iPad mini media presentation.

GPS
Purported iPad mini GPS antenna.

The new, smaller iPad is expected to be available in both Wi-Fi-only and cellular data capable models, much like the full-size 9.7-inch iPad. GPS connectivity is only available built-in to iPad models with cellular data.

Apple's latest products also support Bluetooth 4.0, which is also likely to appear on the iPad mini. Bluetooth 4.0 devices are characterized as "Bluetooth Smart Ready," as they can connect to both traditional Bluetooth devices as well as "smart" devices such as heart-rate monitors or pedometers.

Wi-Fi
Purported iPad mini Wi-Fi antenna.

Apple's special event kicks off Tuesday at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern at the California Theatre in San Jose. AppleInsider will have full, live coverage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    With AT&Ts new shared plan- I think I might opt for cellular model if available.
  • Reply 2 of 13

I see no reason to get the cellular model anymore. If your iPhone can serve as a WiFi hotspot using 4G data... save yourself the $130 premium, and get a WiFi model for the SAME capability. ya know?

• Reply 3 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by hface119 View Post

I see no reason to get the cellular model anymore. If your iPhone can serve as a WiFi hotspot using 4G data... save yourself the $130 premium, and get a WiFi model for the SAME capability. ya know?

Some folks don't want to use hotspot, or some folks have a different use case where they're phone isn't handy or maybe they're on prepaid and hotspot isn't supported.

• Reply 4 of 13
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    hface119 wrote: »

I like paying the extra $130 for a few simple reasons. TomTom on my iPad is pretty awesome but you need a GPS chip. $130 over a year of use is only a little over $10 a month, and that's before you factor in the resale value increase for that unit which will knock even more per month off that investment. Finally, I find it a huge pain to toggle Personal Hotpost on/off on my iPad or iPhone to get other devices to see it.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I like paying the extra $130 for a few simple reasons. TomTom on my iPad is pretty awesome but you need a GPS chip. $130 over a year of use is only a little over $10 a month, and that's before you factor in the resale value increase for that unit which will knock even more per month off that investment. Finally, I find it a huge pain to toggle Personal Hotpost on/off on my iPad or iPhone to get other devices to see it.

lol the mini could be a great car GPS indeed :p

• Reply 6 of 13
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

I am beginning to worrie about pricing.  Anything above 300 will send to stock below its 200 dma, which is at 585.  I dont think the stock will recover from that until we see the proof the mini is selling well at the jan 2013 earnings.

We are going to ear about canibalisation, Apple premiums prices, ...  I hope there is going to be some kind of WoW factor than just cloning the regular ipad to justify the premium.

Anyway I got some protection on the weekly and rolling all the short term options into leaps before the event. The broad market correction is not helping either.

• Reply 7 of 13
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    hface119 wrote: »

I don't need the cellular, but I absolutely want the GPS. It would be nice if both versions had the GPS chip, and only the 4G/LTE radio was the differentiating factor. Since it isn't though, I'll still pay the extra and likely never put a SIM in it.
  • Reply 8 of 13

I didn't realize the cellular version only had a GPS chip. I think I did know that, but overlooked it.

But for the person that responded with "some folks find it annoying to turn on/off the toggle"... really? If that's worth the price difference to you, then so be it. Not for I, though.

• Reply 9 of 13

Looks like the iPod mini is going to come in bondi blue.

An odd choice for Apple.

• Reply 10 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

We are going to ear about canibalisation, Apple premiums prices, ...  I hope there is going to be some kind of WoW factor than just cloning the regular ipad to justify the premium.

...going to?

This morning ALREADY. http://www.cnbc.com/id/49516918

• Reply 11 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Looks like the iPod mini is going to come in bondi blue.

An odd choice for Apple.

Was this sarcasm? Because clearly that's just tape over the parts...

• Reply 12 of 13
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

I don't need the cellular, but I absolutely want the GPS. It would be nice if both versions had the GPS chip, and only the 4G/LTE radio was the differentiating factor. Since it isn't though, I'll still pay the extra and likely never put a SIM in it.

It probably already has the appropriate sim in it if you're in the US.  You can fire up a month-by-month plan whenever.

I buy maybe 3-4 months out of the year for my iPad and usually it's for streaming video for the kids when we're doing a drive so it's generally a savings vs overage or upping our phone plans to hotspot.

• Reply 13 of 13
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I find it a huge pain to toggle Personal Hotpost on/off on my iPad or iPhone to get other devices to see it.

I have found it a hassle without even trying it. Always bought cellular. Also handy while abroad, roaming is expensive so I use my iPhone for calls and put a local SIM in my iPad. € 15 for a GB - gets me through the week.