Apple announces 4th-gen iPad with A6X CPU, FaceTime HD camera

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Just six months after the third-generation iPad debuted, Apple has launched a new fourth-generation model with a faster A6X processor, FaceTime HD camera and Lightning connection port.

iPad 4

The price of the new model is the same at Wi-Fi-only with 16 gigabytes of storage for $499, while a cellular-capable model is $629.

The latest iPad also has expanded LTE support for more carriers around the world. And Wi-Fi is up to twice as fast as the third-generation model, Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller said.

"We're not taking our foot off the gas," Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook said.

The fourth-generation iPad features the same 9.7-inch Retina display as its predecessor, powered by a new Apple-designed A6X chip that the company said delivers up to twice the CPU performance and up to twice the graphics performance of the A5X chip. It still features 10 hours of battery life in the same design as the third-generation iPad.

iPad 4

iPad 4

The new iPad also supports Apple's new Lightning connector, the replacement for the company's legacy 30-pin dock connector that was found in previous-generation iPad models. Lightning connector accessories are available to support cameras, SD cards and VGA or HDMI digital video.

Because it sports the same design, existing iPad Smart Covers and the iPad Smart Case are compatible with the fourth-generation iPad.

Pricing & availability

The fourth generation iPad with Wi-Fi models available on Friday, Nov. 2, in black or white for a suggested retail price of $499 (US) for the 16GB model, $599 (US) for the 32GB model and $699 (US) for the 64GB model. Fourth generation iPad with Wi-Fi + Cellular for AT&T, Sprint and Verizon will be offered for a suggested retail price of $629 (US) for the 16GB model, $729 (US) for the 32GB model and $829 (US) for the 64GB model. Preorders begin this Friday, Oct. 26.

iPad 4

iPad 4

The fourth generation iPad will be sold through the Apple Online Store (www.apple.com), Apple?s retail stores, and select Apple Authorized Resellers in the US, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 151
    All these products being unveiled today only mean one thing. Apple's new TV gets unveiled in Spring of 2013.
  • Reply 2 of 151
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Called it to the T (even to the 6X). Cya Surface. :)
  • Reply 3 of 151
    Third gen iPad obsolete after only 6 months. Thanks Apple.
  • Reply 4 of 151
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

Apple managed to keep the iPad 4 under wraps pretty well.  Very nice.  One of my friends just bought his iPad 3 on the 4th, so he is returning it for the new one heh.

• Reply 5 of 151

Yes. I was hoping for this. First on my list to pick up and then a 27" iMac when available.

• Reply 6 of 151
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Floored...gonna get a iPad 4 and a mini I think.

• Reply 7 of 151

Interesting they updated the regular iPad now... two questions I wonder about:

1) Does this mean going forward all iPad announcements will be October/November? (As the iPhone announcement has changed recently)

2) Is there no iPad "5" launch in April as most expected or will there be updates every six months?

Will have to wait to see. The mini is very good for people like me who didn't want to pay $500+ for an iPad but $330 is a lot easier to swallow and get the same device (just smaller).

That new iMac is extremely nice, amazing how they can make a desktop that thin. You know HP, Dell (etc) are all scratching their heads now and racing around like chickens throwing away all their plans and designs.

Thank you, Steve Jobs and team.

• Reply 8 of 151
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

They obviously didn't move the iPad 3 down to $399 because that wouldve consumed a lot of iPad 4 sales.  Who in their right mind will buy an iPad 2 now?  lol

• Reply 9 of 151
    How in the world will they stay with the spring launch of a new iPad?
  • Reply 10 of 151

Sssss...Sayonara...Ssss...Surface....

Sssss...Sayonara...Ssss...Sammy....

• Reply 11 of 151

So, do I buy an iPad 4 or wait a few months for the iPad 5?   :)

• Reply 12 of 151

I am extremely pleased that Apple had the brassies to upgrade the iPad 4 mid cycle.

I would have preferred that the iPad Mini start at $299... but, hey... $30.

The lineup looks great -- the iPad 2 is a good price performer -- faster than the iPad 3 on graphics/screen-intensive apps.

• Reply 13 of 151
    Those who complain about buying the iPad 3 and now the iPad 4 is out with twice the speed, and other features really shouldn't complain.

As an iPad 2 user, the iPad 3 did not have the specs to make the upgrade worthwhile. Adding retina display was simply not worth it to me. If it was worth it to you, then you made a good purchase. If it was not, then it's your fault.

The iPad 4 now IS a worthy update to the iPad 2. I certainly don't expect an iPad 5 coming Spring 2013 unless updates to the iPad line are delivered with the same lack of fanfare that the normal incremental improvements to the MacBook Pro.

What might drive Apple to upgrade more frequently might be the competition, though I can guess some of Apple's patents could be implemented.
  • Reply 14 of 151
    A6X. So long S4 Pro, at least you held the crown for fastest processor for a couple days before being destroyed by the A6X.
  • Reply 15 of 151

Didn't I read somewhere that Microsoft and Google/Sammy have some tablet related announcements in the next few days?

• Reply 16 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacDevil View Post

Third gen iPad obsolete after only 6 months. Thanks Apple.

Mine still works fine.

• Reply 17 of 151

Unbelievable.  Pretty cool, but if they had this, why release the iPad 3 without the A6 only a few months ago?  Doesn't really matter in the scheme of things, but I am a little irritated to see speed DOUBLED in just a few months.  Oh well.  I hope they're not going to refresh now twice a year and are instead just moving the iPad releases to October.  Guess we'll see!  Very nice products though and the new iMac is absolutely stunning!

• Reply 18 of 151

Apple sure knows how to put a lock on the industry. Blowing Microsoft out of the water with multiple upgrades and a new product this year...wow. Steve would be proud. Now I just need my iPad 4th generation!

• Reply 19 of 151

My wife and I are in the 'bought an iPad 3 six months ago boat,' but that's ok.

We'll wait for the 128GB models. That's gotta be coming in 2013.

• Reply 20 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Mine still works fine.

When they don't give you iOS 8 and you can't update apps anymore because you are on iOS 7 we will see how fine it's working.  A six month launch window will speed up the entire lifecycle including obsoletion.  Once Apple abandons a device it takes one security flaw to be found and now you are SOL.