Apple's redesigned iMac is 5mm thin with edge-to-edge glass

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple's industry-leading iMac desktop received a major update on Tuesday, with newest all-in-one design featuring a form-factor with edges that are just 5 millimeters thin and a new high-res display laminated to the computer's glass cover.

iMac

The front display has edge-to-edge glass and is 45 percent thinner than the predecessor. The new iMac also lacks an optical drive and has re-engineered internal components.

"There's an entire computer in here," Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller joked. "It's hard to believe there's even just a display in here."

The new iMac is available in 21.5-inch and 27-inch models, both of which feature the full lamination design that makes pixels appear as though they are directly on the glass.

"With a stunning design, brilliant display and faster performance, we?ve made the world?s leading all-in-one desktop computer better in every way," Schiller said. "The all-new iMac is unbelievably thin, yet packs an incredible amount of performance and technology into our most innovative desktop."

iMac

iMac

Each display is individually calibrated on the assembly line with a spectroradiometer. The system also features a FaceTime HD camera, dual microphones, and a stereo sound system.

The new iMac packs high-performance technology into an aluminum and glass enclosure with up to 40 percent less volume than its predecessor and an edge that measures 5 millimeters thin. It also features a completely reengineered display that reduces reflection by 75 percent while maintaining brilliant color and contrast. In the new design, the cover glass is fully laminated to the LCD and an anti-reflective coating is applied using a high-precision plasma deposition process.

Powering the display is Nvidia's Kepler graphics, which offer up to 60 percent faster performance than previous models. As for memory, the iMac comes with 8GB of RAM standard with the ability to configure the machine with up to 32GB. Storage is taken care of by a standard 1TB HDD, which can be upgraded to to 1TB Fusion Drive in the high-end 21.5-inch model, or a 3TB HDD, 1TB or 3TB Fusion Drive, or 768GB SSD in the 27-inch version.

The Fusion Drive is a new storage option that combines speedy flash memory with the greater storage capacity offered by traditional hard drives. It joins 128 gigabytes of flash with a 1- or 3-terabyte hard drive for a single storage volume that intelligently manages files.

The iMac also has two Thunderbolt and four USB 3.0 ports, allowing for greater expandability.

iMac

iMac

iMac

iMac

The new design sheds up to 8 pounds over the previous generation. Even though it's smaller, Schiller called the internals a "serious computer," featuring Intel quad-core Ivy Bridge processors, up to 32 gigabytes of RAM, and Nvidia Kepler dedicated graphics.

iMac

Pricing & availability

The 21.5-inch iMac is available with a 2.7 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.2 GHz and NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M for a suggested retail price of $1,299 (US); and with a 2.9 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.6 GHz and NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M for a suggested retail price of $1,499 (US). The 21.5-inch iMac will be available in November through the Apple Online Store (www.apple.com), Apple?s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers.

iMac

iMac

The 27-inch iMac is available with a 2.9 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.6 GHz and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M for a suggested retail price of $1,799 (US); and with a 3.2 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.6 GHz and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX for a suggested retail price of $1,999 (US). The 27-inch iMac will be available in December through the Apple Online Store, Apple?s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 189

Absolutely stunning. 

Phil goes, "we actually merge the molecules" and I go "yeah, we're NEVER getting inside this thing again!"

• Reply 2 of 189

FINALLY YES YESYSEYEYSEYSEYSEYSE

FINALLY THEY HAVE THE SOFTWARE TREAT SSDs AND HDDS AS ONE DRIVE!

I've been saying this for years! Offer both and have the OS treat them as ONE!

And they're really going all-in with the space theme, aren't they? OS XI will definitely have space-themed names.

• Reply 3 of 189

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And they're really going all-in with the space theme, aren't they? OS XI will definitely have space-themed names.

I too have been waiting for a Mac option with a hybrid drive.  This is a no-brainer for my home upgrade now!

• Reply 4 of 189
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Pretty awesome- and for those stuck in the past.... ;)

I am curious about the heat dissipation now- the vent is in the center and larger than the bar up top currently- so that should help?

I want one of these very badly... but I think I'll hold off several months to see how it all pans out.

• Reply 5 of 189
    Want one of those...
  • Reply 6 of 189
    bdblackbdblack Posts: 146member

4 ram slots, shipping with 2 so-dimms? User Upgradable :D

Anyone care to guess what CPU's these are shipping with?

• 2.9GHz quad-core Intel Core i5

• Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz

and...

• 3.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i5

• Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz

What models match those specs?

• Reply 7 of 189
    I don't see the point of removing the optical drive in a pure desktop machine...but I'll hand it to them, it's quite a beauty!
  • Reply 8 of 189
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    That's nice, but the total thickness doesn't appear to be noticeably thinner, measure it from the thickest point, like the way we should measure Android phones.

The back is clearly a lot more curved than the previous version. I also question the wisdom of the SD card in the back. That makes it a bit awkward to use, either turn the entire machine around or grope around for the slot. I really liked the side edge slot.
  • Reply 9 of 189

Quote: Flash_beezy

I don't see the point of removing the optical drive in a pure desktop machine...but I'll hand it to them, it's quite a beauty!

I ripped mine out and put an SSD in my 2008 iMac. I have an external drive but I have never used it. I guess most people just download their software now.

• Reply 10 of 189
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member

Quote:

Phil goes, "we actually merge the molecules" and I go "yeah, we're NEVER getting inside this thing again!"

Indeed.  That's my biggest question at this point: what, if anything, is upgradable?  I'm hoping at least RAM is still upgradable.

I'm in the market for a new dev machine, and the Mac Pro just doesn't give enough bang for buck these days.  However, I do find myself still upgrading RAM every year or so as Xcode's RAM usage gets higher all the time.  It's much cheaper to buy just enough for now and upgrade later (when RAM prices come down) than buy more than enough now.

• Reply 11 of 189

Quote:

You're assuming there will ever be an OS XI.  But yes, the Fusion Drive feature is slick and about time.

• Reply 12 of 189
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flash_beezy View Post

With more modern storage options, USB, Cloud storage, and streaming options like iTunes/Netflix etc... there's just no need for a clunky, optical drive that is yet another mechanical piece that can fail.  Kudos for Apple to take the initiative like they did with the floppy drive and legacy ports.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've used the CD-Rom drive on my iMac.  I don't know anyone that uses CD's anymore.  It's an obsolete piece of tech.  That's the reality.

Put that iMac in the stores!!  I want to see one of these beauties in the store.  Looks like its finally time to upgrade my 2009 iMac which is still in flawless condition and will definitely be sold at a good price to offset the new gal!

• Reply 13 of 189
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

It's not 5mm thin though is it, it bulges considerably towards the middle. Edge thickness means nothing.

I remember Samsung releasing "the thinnest phone" because the edge was thinner than the iPhone, however at the thickest point, it was thicker.

So, it's a nice design, not much different to the previous one to look at from the front.

1 thunderbolt port! I hope that's only the case for the 21.5".

I thought the 24" iMac was hard and uncomfortable to carry to the Apple store for repairs, this new one will really cut into your fingers! lol.

• Reply 14 of 189

Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Indeed.  That's my biggest question at this point: what, if anything, is upgradable?  I'm hoping at least RAM is still upgradable.

I'm in the market for a new dev machine, and the Mac Pro just doesn't give enough bang for buck these days.  However, I do find myself still upgrading RAM every year or so as Xcode's RAM usage gets higher all the time.  It's much cheaper to buy just enough for now and upgrade later (when RAM prices come down) than buy more than enough now.

Go to Apple's website. 4 ram slots! User Upgradeable!

I'm guessing the display lifts out like the glass did, just as one part. Maybe hidden screws on the bottom. probably easier that the last gen.

• Reply 15 of 189

Apple.com seems to indicate that you can get inside the 27in, but not the 21.5in. 

It also seems to indicate that you can't get pure SSD storage in the 21.5in. WHY ARE YOU RUINING MY DREAMS APPLE? http://www.apple.com/imac/specs/ And it also seems to indicate that you either get 1tb ATA, 1tb fusion, 3tb ATA, 3tb fusion, or 768 flash. Do we have any mid range storage options. 256 ssd would be great. KKTHNX. 

Also holy cow that's a thin desktop. The 27in model will probably look really odd with that thin a depth and that large a screen. 

• Reply 16 of 189

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

With more modern storage options, USB, Cloud storage, and streaming options like iTunes/Netflix etc... there's just no need for a clunky, optical drive that is yet another mechanical piece that can fail.  Kudos for Apple to take the initiative like they did with the floppy drive and legacy ports.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've used the CD-Rom drive on my iMac.  I don't know anyone that uses CD's anymore.  It's an obsolete piece of tech.  That's the reality.

Put that iMac in the stores!!  I want to see one of these beauties in the store.  Looks like its finally time to upgrade my 2009 iMac which is still in flawless condition and will definitely be sold at a good price to offset the new gal!

So what happens when you get (buy, given, etc.) a CD with music on it? Or want to give Grandma a DVD of the grandson's first step on video?

I agree, I use my optical drive infrequently, but it's hardly a superfluous appendage. It's not quite a the floppy drive...yet.

• Reply 17 of 189

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

...And they're really going all-in with the space theme, aren't they? OS XI will definitely have space-themed names.

I've thought the same about OS XI, future releases will be named after constellations with a preceding final X release 10.9 'Lynx' (Lynx is a constellation as well as a cat).

• Reply 18 of 189

ALSO ALSO 

I'm drooling over this computer over my 5yr old black MacBook, but I'm slightly reluctant to buy. I feel like a retina & haswell model is just around the corner (April-July) window. Anyone else agree?

• Reply 19 of 189

Quote:

Originally Posted by initiator View Post

So what happens when you get (buy, given, etc.) a CD with music on it? Or want to give Grandma a DVD of the grandson's first step on video?

I agree, I use my optical drive infrequently, but it's hardly a superfluous appendage. It's not quite a the floppy drive...yet.

Buy a usb dvd burner for $50 ?

• Reply 20 of 189

Apple Store Not ready to take orders, but I will be ordering this one:

Ordering this one

- 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz)

- 8GB (two 4GB) of 1600MHz DDR3 memory; four user-accessible SO-DIMM slots

- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX with 2GB of GDDR5 memory.

The question I'll have is, do I order the

- 3TB Fusion Drive

OR

- 768GB of flash storage

I have ALL my media on External OWC Mirrored Drives, so the

ALL Flash Approach "might" be appealing.

READY TO ORDER, though.