Apple posts iPad mini keynote, promotional video & full specs

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple's website was quickly updated on Tuesday with the full keynote presentation of its new iPad mini, as well as a video extolling the features of the new $329 device.

Mini site

A new section on Apple's website devoted to the iPad mini features the keynote presentation and the iPad mini video. Images on the site also highlight the fact that the smaller device with a 7.9-inch screen can be held with one hand.

Key features touted by Apple are the fact that the iPad mini offers "the full iPad experience" on its 7.9-inch display, and is compatible with more than 275,000 applications made for the iPad platform.

Customers will be able to preorder the new iPad mini beginning this Friday, and the Wi-Fi-only models will ship a week later. Cellular-capable variants of the iPad mini are scheduled to arrive at a later date.

The iPad mini is 7.87 inches tall, 5.3 inches wide, and has a depth of 0.28 inches. It weights 0.68 pounds, and comes in capacities of 16, 32 and 64 gigabytes.

The 7.9-inch display has a resolution of 1,024 by 768 pixels at 163 pixels per inch. It's powered by a dual-core A5 processor, and also has a FaceTime HD camera and 5-megapixel iSight camera.

Like the larger iPad, the iPad mini has a home button, volume controls, a mute/rotation switch, and a lock button. It also has a 3.5-millimeter stereo headphone jack and microphone, with a built-in speaker and Lighting connector.

The built-in 16.3-watt-hour rechargeable lithium-polymer battery offers up to 10 hours of surfing the Web on Wi-Fi, watching video, or listening to music. It also has a three-axis gyroscope, accelerometer, ambient light sensor, and digital compass.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    The only decision: WiFi or Cellular?
  • Reply 2 of 20
    WOW!!! That's like a book.. or something thick!
    "...and has a depth of 2.8 inches..."
  • Reply 3 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

And one of the 3 memory choices as well as the colors.  ;-)

• Reply 4 of 20
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lte4g View Post

WOW!!! That's like a book.. or something thick!

"...and has a depth of 2.8 inches..."

Try 0.28 inches, per the Apple spec page. Numerically illiterate or just sloppy reporting ... take your pick.

• Reply 5 of 20
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member

Hey guys, I missed the keynote due to a class at work: Any word on how many iphone 5s (iphones 5) have sold so far?  Really curious about that.  I'm on my phone and still in class so kinda hard to search right now...

• Reply 6 of 20

No new iTunes?

• Reply 7 of 20
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

Definitely here for the wifi version. Wifi + Cellular that is... lol!

• Reply 8 of 20
    They sold out of iPHone 5 in the 1st weekend. 5.x million.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

well the market did not like apples announcement today, they kill the stock by 20 points. I am betting they were banking on $229 price point on the mini and that did not happen so they think apple is going to loose out here.

• Reply 10 of 20
    ch2coch2co Posts: 41member
    maestro64
    Did you happen to look what the rest of the stock marked did today?
  • Reply 11 of 20

image not yet...

Edit: it's fixed now.

• Reply 12 of 20
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ch2co View Post

maestro64

Did you happen to look what the rest of the stock marked did today?

yeah, but it tanked after the announcement and analysis are already saying the pricing is too high to take advantage smaller tablet market, not sure their assessment is correct but the market reacted to it.

• Reply 13 of 20

Quote:

The 7.9-inch display has a resolution of 1,024 by 768 pixels at 163 pixels per inch.

Hmmmm

A "Retina" iPad Mini (next year's model?) would have a pixel density of 326 pixels per inch... just like the iPhone 4/4S/5

Coincidence or not?

• Reply 14 of 20

Also, was I the only one at the end of the keynote to be a little disappointed when Tim showed the 2012 slide from the (iPad?) launch earlier this year and DIDN'T say "We've STILL got a lot to show you in 2012"?

• Reply 15 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac-user View Post

image not yet...

what's happening? i can't watch it..

• Reply 16 of 20
    ramkramk Posts: 13member

do anyone has any idea when is the new iTunes releasing? Have they announced during the event?

• Reply 17 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac-user View Post

image not yet...

Edit: it's fixed now.

I thought they had fixed it and started to watch and than Phil Schiller introduced the iPhone 5   :D

it was the previos keynote video. Not it shows again the image from above.

Edit: finally the right video started.

• Reply 18 of 20
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Cellular, it is a huge advantage. This is especially the case if you travel a lot.
    jfc1138 wrote: »
  • Reply 19 of 20
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I saw Bertrand in the audience in quite a few shots. It would be nice if he came back to Apple.

• Reply 20 of 20

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I saw Bertrand in the audience in quite a few shots. It would be nice if he came back to Apple.

Saw Bob Mansfield, too. Yes, he still works there, but as a consultant.